macOS 10.16 'Big Sur' & iOS 14 going to see big user interface changes, says leaker

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
According to Chinese social media posts, macOS 10.16 will be called "Big Sur," and both it and iOS 14 will see big user interface redesigns.

Iconography supplied by Apple for the 2020 WWDC
Iconography supplied by Apple for the 2020 WWDC

Expected to be announced at WWDC later on Monday, macOS 10.16 "Big Sur" will not just get a redesigned user interface. Allegedly, a "huge update" is coming to Safari as well, but no details were shared beyond that.

in my dream,Mac OS big sur, redesigned the Ui, and huge update for Safari

The big changes said to be coming to iOS 14 include a redesigned homepage, a new widget technology, and a changed app alignment. The most profound change to how the iPhone presents itself, however, is incoming calls not being full screen, popping the user out of the existing app.

in my dream
no rename for IOS, homepage redesignedwidgets supported, Apps alignment changed, added more app clips, something like mini applications, Incoming call for iPhone is not forced full screen.

The Sidecar technology is said to be improved in iPadOS 14 as well. Allegedly, "improved and enhanced" handwriting input is said to be implemented.

im my dream, iPadOS redesigned sidecar, improved and enhanced hand written input.

As they do every WWDC, Apple's other operating systems will see refreshes as well. Apple's tvOS 14 is said to "monitor the HomeKit" but perhaps not see major changes.

in my dream, TV OS can monitor the HomeKit, regular update.

Apple's watchOS 7 is said to include a hand washing monitor, and sleep tracking as well.

in my dream, Watch OS update the watch homepage, now can be shared through the link. Added in sleep and hand wash monitoring function.

Furthermore, the @l0vetodream account addresses the "Year of A14," a reference to the chip that will be in the "iPhone 12" later in 2020. It isn't clear specifically what this means, however.

As always, the leaker says very little, but l0vetodream has an increasingly strong reputation for correctly revealing future Apple products. The account's previous correct leaks include ones about iPads, including the addition of a LiDAR sensor that then appeared on the iPad Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    When is Time Machine going to be added to another network device, because all the 3rd party shit sucks ass.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    When is Time Machine going to be added to another network device, because all the 3rd party shit sucks ass.
    TimeMachine is way over due for a complete overhaul. You should be able to do backups to iCloud or other online services, I'm sick of the semiannual DB corruptions, the integration with the rest of the OS needs work, etc. It's been so long since they gave TM any attention I'm starting to fear that they are looking at EOLing it. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    A redesigned UI, another steep learning curve just to read our email. As for Safari, I use Safari Technology Preview as my daily browser and it's still the same Safari.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    DAalseth said:
    TimeMachine is way over due for a complete overhaul. You should be able to do backups to iCloud or other online services, I'm sick of the semiannual DB corruptions, the integration with the rest of the OS needs work, etc. It's been so long since they gave TM any attention I'm starting to fear that they are looking at EOLing it. 
    Agreed, TM should have a major upgrade.  TM has never been happy since APFS as far as I can see.  I've stopped using with TimeCapsules via the LAN as it is so slow and just use it with directly attached drives.  Carbon Copy Cloner is my main security for both the internals and all attached externals on all my Macs and of course iCloud for all Documents, Photos and Music.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I can see why Asian supply chain leaks give rise to credible rumors about forthcoming hardware.

But OS developments? Nah.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    neilm said:
    I can see why Asian supply chain leaks give rise to credible rumors about forthcoming hardware.

But OS developments? Nah.
    Agreed.

Let's wait and see.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    It's been a while since I lived in California... Is there a 'Little Sur,' 'Medium Sur,' or just Big Sur?

I like the name, but I still think Cuyamaca would be more fun.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    DAalseth said:
    Time Machine can be a life saver but it was left to rot. To the point of not being fit for its main purpose: backup. 

Paired with a Time Capsule it was a great solution - when it worked - but it could go funky at any time. Backup technologies should not be prone to funkiness. I would never use it as a sole backup solution because of that. Even with rotating disks. 

I was dismayed to see all the Airport team get disbanded precisely when the market for bulletproof, easy to use, mesh systems was becoming a perfect 'everyday' solution for wireless use cases. 

I still hope for an Apple NAS with Airport like simplicity in configuration, paired with a completely overhauled Time Machine solution with far more flexible management options. 

dysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I haven't had any problems with Time Machine in Catalina for quite awhile. 2019 was kind of bumpy, but part of that was due to a corrupt SanDisk SSD boot drive that I had purchased primarily because it was so cheap. You get what you pay for. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    DAalseth said:
    10+ years of TM backups on 3 Macs, and never had a single issue, nor even heard of anyone losing a backup. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I’d love to see the ugly “minimalist” flat design fad ended... but I’m not holding my breath.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    dysamoria said:
    I’d love to see the ugly “minimalist” flat design fad ended... but I’m not holding my breath.
    And be replaced with what? Do you have design examples of what you like?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    flydog said:
    DAalseth said:

10+ years of TM backups on 3 Macs, and never had a single issue, nor even heard of anyone losing a backup. 
    TM is extremely slow and the whole “go into space mode to retrieve files” is just very ineffective and based on old skeuomorphic concepts that doesn’t fit with macOS anymore.
    It’s one of these OS things that hasn’t gotten any serious attention due to the focus on iCloud storage.

Besides, it was built on top of an old file system methodology. APFS by design has versioning concepts that TM does not leverage; instead it builds its own layer on top of that to recreate that concept - sort of half-assed. 
    TM is well known to be very slow and unstable, corrupting databases randomly and generally being perceived as unreliable.

IMHO it should be deprecated soon, and Apple should either leave backup solutions to third party developers or provide a modern replacement. 

• Reply 14 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hooray! Big changes before the bugs have even been worked out!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    flydog said:
    DAalseth said:
    That’s amazing because I’ve been able to count on a DB corruption every 12 to 16 months ever since it came out. On three Macs in my house that’s a lot of messing around rebuilding backup sets. 
  • Reply 16 of 17
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    So it wasn't Sidecar after all that got updated, it was Sidebar! Interesting error.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    So it wasn't Sidecar after all that got updated, it was Sidebar! Interesting error.
    I saw Sidecar is getting 4:4:4 video, though I think that's an Apple Silicon thing. Not sure if there was more than that.
    watto_cobra