Review: Sonos Arc is the Dolby Atmos companion your Apple TV 4K needs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2021
Sonos is shipping the Dolby Atmos Arc soundbar, and with a living room in need of audio finesse, so we picked one up to put it to the test with our Apple TV 4K.

The new Sonos Dolby Atmos Arc soundbar
The new Sonos Dolby Atmos Arc soundbar

Arc is the new soundbar to the Sonos lineup, fitting in above the budget-friendly Beam and replacing the Playbar and Playbase. It comes with not only an entirely new sense of style, but higher-quality audio and unique features.

Design

Sonos has shunned the boxy style of the Playbar, opting for a much more fluid, curvy look. The Arc has a wide 273-degree vertical grille which, combined with the left and right sides, has more than 76,000 perforations cut into it. The matte finish looks great, and even though it is largely plastic, it doesn't feel cheap by any measure.

We prefer the solid grille rather than the fabric covering on our Beam, partially due to the propensity for the Beam's fabric to snag, cling to dust, and to get dirty. Arc should hold up much better in this regard.

On top is a trio of capacitive buttons -- a Sonos standby -- and the right has a microphone icon for use with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. You don't need to use the assistants, but if you do, there are four far-field microphones inside and the Arc can be muted at any time.

There is a status light on the front, that adjusts its brightness automatically based on the room's conditions. It can be turned off completely in the Sonos app.

Buttons on top of the Sonos Arc
Buttons on top of the Sonos Arc

Around back, there are ports for HDMI, Ethernet, and power as well as the physical sync button used for pairing. We had no issues running our Arc over Wi-Fi, with the HDMI port to connect the audio over HDMI ARC. if you don't have ARC, you can use the HDMI to optical adapter included in the box.

As far as size goes, it measures up at 45 inches wide, which is ten inches longer than the Playbar it replaces. This means it fits best with larger TV models, about 55-inches and up. Smaller TVs will function fine, the bar just may be larger than the set itself.

Front of the encompassing Sonos Arc
Front of the encompassing Sonos Arc

Arc can be a bit tall, depending your TV's legs. If mounted on the wall, which requires an additional adapter to be purchased, it isn't as much an issue. But in front of the TV it can block your remote's IR ports. We don't use those much, rather using our Apple TV remote to turn our set on and off (or even HomeKit), but it would be a problem for any others. Fortunately, Sonos thought of this and built-in an IR repeater to make much less of an issue.

Inside the Arc are 11 custom drivers -- eight woofers and three silk-domed tweeters. These combined produce the incredible sound found on the Arc, including the upwards-firing rear speakers used to produce the immersive Dolby Atmos surround effects. This gives you a 5.0.2 system -- left, right, left-surround, right-surround, center, and two upward drivers.

Just as with the Beam and other Sonos soundbars, other speakers can be added to expand that. Add a set of Symfonisk or One SL speakers for better rear surrounds or the upgraded Sonos Sub for more impressive bass.

When adding the Sonos Sub, the Arc is able to offload all bass to the sub, freeing up the cavity for more punch to the mids.

Use Siri to control AirPlay 2 audio on the Arc
Use Siri to control AirPlay 2 audio on the Arc

As Apple fans, we appreciate the support of AirPlay 2 as well as HomeKit on the Sonos Arc. The Arc can be added into the Home app and included in any smart home scenes you create. Perhaps a workout scene will close the shades, dim the lights, and kick on a high-intensity playlist on shuffle. Or if in the bedroom, maybe you wake up to your "get going" playlist in the AM. It can also be tied to buttons, motion sensors, or other HomeKit devices.

Since it is HomeKit-enabled, Siri also works. Ask Siri to turn up the volume, play music, or skip to the next track. This works from your iPhone, Apple Watch, Mac, HomePod, or any other Apple devices you have around.

ARC versus eARC

One of the most confusing aspects of the Arc is its support of both HDMI ARC as well as HDMI eARC. eARC, or enhanced audio return channel, is a newer, more capable version of ARC. It is necessary for some of the higher quality forms of audio.

HDMI cable for HDMI ARC
HDMI cable for HDMI ARC

The good news is eARC is not necessary for Dolby Atmos. Dolby Atmos can be transmitted as both Dolby Digital+ as well as Dolby True HD. ARC supports the former while eARC supports both. Most streaming sources at the moment are using Dolby Digital+ which means if you are watching Apple TV app, iTunes, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, or Vudu and you choose Dolby Atmos content, you will get just that.

Dolby True HD supports higher bitrates and higher quality lossless audio. You will need eARC if you are looking to get the best possible audio from your 4K Blu-ray player Though, even then your TV still needs to support not only eARC but pass-through functionality.

Audio chops

Playing Apple Music from the Sonos S2 app
Playing Apple Music from the Sonos S2 app

Getting to the meat of it, we were eager as ever to put the Arc to the test. And test we did. We started just streaming music, which sounded fantastic. We chose to stream over AirPlay 2, all controlled via Siri though of course, you can control the Arc through the app as well.

Post-music session, we moved onto what we were most excited for -- movies. We streamed a pile of recent movies to see how the audio was in general, as well as how it particularly performed with Dolby Atmos and its spacial abilities.

We streamed Mad Max Fury Road, Baby Driver, Mission Impossible: Fallout, Bohemian Rhapsody, John Wick Chapter 3, and Hitman's Bodyguard to name a few. All with Atmos support.

The first thing we noticed was how much larger and fuller the soundstage was compared to our Beam. It really does make a presence in the room and put out substantial sound. THe max volume was incredible and felt quite immersive as a whole.

It is still a soundbar, so it doesn't have as much left and right separation as when we had dedicated speakers sitting in either corner of the room. But it was more pronounced than it ever was on the Beam.

Side of the Sonos Arc
Side of the Sonos Arc

We heard so many nuances in the movies that it made any change of scenery even more noticable. You very much felt as if you were switching environments as a movie pivots from an indoor to an outdoor scene. Even more, when a movie would go quiet it created an even more impressive effect. While watching Bohemian Rhapsody, going from the massive arena of Live Aid to his parent's tiny TV gave us chills.

When it comes to Atmos specifically, we were stunned. We've tested other Atmos soundbars and got a middling, compromised experience. They worked. It had some height to the sound, but it was more about pointing speakers upwards and not particularly tuning them.

Sonos pushed hard for very precise audio here and they've mostly delivered. The intro scenes to Deadpool were captivating as things are rolling around all over the screen. The beginning of Baby Driver had helicopters flying overhead and cars coming in from all sides.

View Dolby Atmos in the Sonos app
View Dolby Atmos in the Sonos app

As with the Beam, you can enhance dialogue and put on "night mode" that reduces bass to prevent others in the house being woken up at the sound of yet another Deadpool explosion. Unique to the Arc, is within the Sonos app you can see a label when Dolby Atmos content is playing.

We did have issues when we tried the Arc in different locations. Large, open rooms posed a particular issue. Arc bounces audio off the walls and ceilings and if there is an extra-high ceiling or no walls around, the spacial aspect of the Arc is diminished. That isn't to say everything else isn't solid, it is just something to be aware of.

Still coming from the Beam, we were blown away. Between the massive soundstage, Dolby Atmos, substantial base, and improved design, we were all-in on the Arc.

Should you buy the Sonos Arc?

If you are looking to up your audio and particularly want support for Dolby Atmos you have only a few options. There are other Dolby Atmos soundbars that are good but don't blow us away. Or you can wire up an actual Atmos support with ceiling-mounted speakers and all.

Front of the Sonos Arc
Front of the Sonos Arc

For many, I included, that isn't an option. The other speakers don't excite us much and often lack features such as AirPlay 2 or HomeKit, not to mention Sonos's amazing multi-room setup. We certainly don't have the ability to run the wires necessary for Atmos speakers either.

That leaves the Arc as the only "real" option and we had a lot riding on it to deliver the experience we were looking for. Fortunately for us, we had a perfect room, an Apple TV 4K, and a new Dolby Vision Sony TV that gave us no issues with compatibility which let Arc excel to the best of its abilities.

Everyone who experienced the Arc was blown away by its performance and made them instantly want to own one, especially going from the TV on its own, then to the Beam, then to the Arc. The progression was clear. Even though the Arc is twice the cost of the Beam, it easily delivers twice the sound.

If you are looking for an outstanding Atmos setup, the new Sonos Arc is here to deliver. Assuming you've met the spec requirements that is.

Pros
  • Incredible sound and precision Dolby Atmos

• Substantial bass, even without additional sub

• HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support

• Sleek design

• eARC is more future-proofed

• Runs Sonos S2

• Smart features like IR repeater and auto-dimming LED
Cons
  • Best support is dependant on TV specs

• May be too large for smaller TVs

• Larger open rooms may not result in the best surround experience

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Where to buy

Retailing for $799, the Sonos Arc can be ordered today at B&H, Amazon and Adorama, as well as Sonos directly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    On top is a trio of capacitive buttons -- a Sonos standby -- and the right has a microphone icon for use with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. You don't need to use the assistants, but if you do, there are four far-field microphones inside and the Arc can be muted at any time.

Since it is HomeKit-enabled, Siri also works. Ask Siri to turn up the volume, play music, or skip to the next track. This works from your iPhone, Apple Watch, Mac, HomePod, or any other Apple devices you have around.

Maybe I missed something, but does Siri use the Arc's built-in microphones or do you need another way to control Siri such as your phone or a HomePod or the ATV's own remote?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    mike1 said:

Maybe I missed something, but does Siri use the Arc's built-in microphones or do you need another way to control Siri such as your phone or a HomePod or the ATV's own remote?
    "This works from your iPhone, Apple Watch, Mac, HomePod, or any other Apple devices you have around."

^
    You still have to use your other Siri-enabled devices. Really any Apple device will work.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    I have the Sonos Arc and love it, but there are a few essential things for potential buyers to know that were left out of this review:

The Sonos Arc is completely reliant on your television's capability to support Dolby Atmos AND to pass through an Atmos signal to either an ARC (via Dolby Digital+) or an eARC (via Dolby True HD) connection. Be sure to check with your set's manufacturer to be sure it both supports Atmos and passes through an Atmos signal. 

Generally speaking, sets from 2016 and earlier do not support Atmos. Some sets from 2017, including some models from LG, do support Atmos and pass through. Again, best to check with the manufacturer about your specific set. From 2018 on, especially with the introduction of eARC, support for Atmos is much more common. 

If you set lacks an HDMI ARC connection, or if you don't want to give up your HDMI ARC connection to the Sonos soundbar, you'll have to use the included optical to HDMI adapter. But be aware that there is no pass through of Atmos via optical, per Sonos. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I have a Sonos Arc and a 2018 TCL 6 series I bought new last month that has Atmos pass through.  The Atmos pass through does not work with the Apple TV 4K. 
    The signal that the Apple TV sends (LPCM) is not compatible with Atmos or Atmos pass through. Because my TV doesn’t do Atmos natively I don’t have the option to enable Atmos on Apple TV 4K. I do get Atmos from the built in apps via Roku (Vudu and the Dolby app, but not Apple TV app) and I can also get Atmos from the amazon fire Tv stick 4K (prime video). 
    I know I’m actually getting Atmos via the Atmos logo in the Sonos app. 
    Why Sonos didn’t include an additional HDMI input is beyond me. Many people have better and more expensive TVs (LG OLED) that are incompatible as well. Sonos could have done right by their customer. Instead they expect everyone to have or upgrade to a new tv in order to get the most notable feature of this new sound bar. Guess I’ll have to hope everyone updates their Roku or Fire TV apps to be compatible with Atmos and solve Sonos’s problem. 
    edited June 2020 StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 12
    blatzman said:
    I have a Sonos Arc and a 2018 TCL 6 series I bought new last month that has Atmos pass through.  The Atmos pass through does not work with the Apple TV 4K. 
    The signal that the Apple TV sends (LPCM) is not compatible with Atmos or Atmos pass through. 
    To be more specific about the issue here, per Apple Support: "Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections." And even that statement is misleading. If your television supports Atmos natively AND does Atmos pass-through to the ARC connection, you can get Atmos via ARC from Apple TV 4K. I know because it works on my 2017 LG OLED E7P set, which supports Atmos natively and has ARC but not eARC. It processes the Atmos signal from ATV 4K and passes it through to ARC as Atmos/Dolby Digital +. It does the same thing with the Atmos/Dolby True HD signal it receives from my 4K Blu-ray player, which also doesn't work with direct pass-through over ARC--it processes/converts it to Atmos/Dolby Digital+. As you mention, you can see what signal is being received by the Sonos Arc via the Sonos app, so there's never any question. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I got a free LG Soundbar and sub-woofer with my 4K TV. I'm not sure how good the Sonos Arc sounds, but I personally feel that no soundbar can compare to a good surround sound system. 
    Even a small setup with a Denon receiver and KEF satellite speakers gives much more immersive sound than a soundbar.

Having said that, I do understand the use cases for a soundbar and this one seems pretty good. I'm just wondering, should we wait for the Sonos eArc! 

• Reply 7 of 12
    The  Arc IS a system if you want it to be... or not if you don't. A new wireless sub and wireless satellite speakers are available. What's great is that the Arc soundbar sounds terrific on its own, so if either budget or space are issues, you don't have to live with mediocre sound. By the way, the Arc already is the eArc in terms of technical compatibility with eArc standards. Obviously, calling it the eArc would have been a much more limiting name in terms of prospective sales. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I got a free LG Soundbar and sub-woofer with my 4K TV. I'm not sure how good the Sonos Arc sounds, but I personally feel that no soundbar can compare to a good surround sound system. 
    Even a small setup with a Denon receiver and KEF satellite speakers gives much more immersive sound than a soundbar.
    Of course. Just like no cellphone camera can compare to a bigger dSLR. But what most people have decided is they don’t want the hassle of a true home theater surround sound system. So the question becomes, how good is this alternative?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    vmiyoshivmiyoshi Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    It maybe if you want to waste money on many different streaming services. But if your using Plex it doesn't work. 
    Also it only supports one HDMI port, not all TV's that support eARC support passthrough of ATMOS and other formats, meaning your stuck using the apps on your smart TV for that. I have a Sony ATMOS compatible soundbar which I ended up going with once I did a lot of research on the short comings of the Sonos ARC. I kind of hate these glowing reviews of this product, because I don't believe it deserves it again because of it's short comings. Some Quick details on my setup - I have a Samsung QLED which no support for eARC, and no plans on a future upgrade, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4K. I can confirm with my Sony Soundbar (which has 3 HDMI 2.2 Ports) that my Apple TV does pass Adobe ATMOS to the bar with apps like Disney Plus, however it's some disconnect between Apple and Plex when it comes to passthrough of sound profiles which impacts ATMOS. Just like the Apple TV isn't perfect neither is the Nvidia Shield, however it passes sound profiles perfectly to my soundbar when watching content on Plex which includes ATMOS. What I love about media managers like Plex is that I feel more in control with of my content, so if I choose to cancel a streaming service I don't quickly think I'm missing something. The Sony soundbar I choose to go with isn't perfect either as it's currently no support for wireless surround speakers, but I wouldn't recommend the Sonos ARC to really anyone at this point. I currently replaced my Sonos beam + Sub with the Sony Soundbar + Sub. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I use a dedicated receiver/full surround on main TV, sounds great. I’ve been looking for a good quality atmos sound bar for a second TV to avoid another AV receiver/ multi speaker setup (I’m fine with a subwoofer - since that is critical - but don’t want multi fronts and surrounds). Where nearly all sound bars miss the mark - the Sonos included, is they short change you on HDMI inputs - many only give you one! So if you have game system(s), Apple TV, other streamers, cable box you are forced to choose one - unless you route all wiring up to your TV -  that’s pretty ridiculous. I don’t expect a sound bar to offer all the input options of a receiver, but give me three HDMI inputs please!
    edited June 2020 vmiyoshi
  • Reply 11 of 12
    vmiyoshivmiyoshi Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Fatman said:
    I use a dedicated receiver/full surround on main TV, sounds great. I’ve been looking for a good quality atmos sound bar for a second TV to avoid another AV receiver/ multi speaker setup (I’m fine with a subwoofer - since that is critical - but don’t want multi fronts and surrounds). Where nearly all sound bars miss the mark - the Sonos included, is they short change you on HDMI inputs - many only give you one! So if you have game system(s), Apple TV, other streamers, cable box you are forced to choose one - unless you route all wiring up to your TV -  that’s pretty ridiculous. I don’t expect a sound bar to offer all the input options of a receiver, but give me three HDMI inputs please!
    I got the Sony HTST5000 - it has 3 HDMI ports, it also supports almost all sound profiles. The Sonos only supports Dolby profiles, with LPCM being possible in a future firmware upgrade. What I believe this means is if the soundbar doesn't recognize the format, it's converted into LPCM. An Example in my case is I have a Plex server with 400 + movies most I personally ripped from a blu-ray, and re-encoded into HEVC/AAC 5.1. The AAC 5.1 isn't something that it recognizes, so it's displayed as LPCM 5.1 on the soundbar. Again this isn't supported on the Sonos, so it would convert all non-dolby formats into something like 2.0 stereo, in the future maybe multi-channel LPCM with a firmware upgrade. This is why I decided not to upgrade my Beam to the Arc, and to completely move away from Sonos and go with Sony. However like you said, no Soundbar is perfect. The Sony doesn't support external back surround speakers, while the Sonos you can add wireless Sonos speakers to your setup. The Sony also doesn't support Airplay, however my Samsung TV and Apple TV which are both connected to it does, the only thing I'm missing is volume controls... I hope you find what your looking for, I personally would not recommend the Sonos Arc to many short comings. 
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 12 of 12
    czhoumeczhoume Posts: 1member
    charlesn said:
    blatzman said:
    The signal that the Apple TV sends (LPCM) is not compatible with Atmos or Atmos pass through. 
    To be more specific about the issue here, per Apple Support: "Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections." And even that statement is misleading. If your television supports Atmos natively AND does Atmos pass-through to the ARC connection, you can get Atmos via ARC from Apple TV 4K. I know because it works on my 2017 LG OLED E7P set, which supports Atmos natively and has ARC but not eARC. It processes the Atmos signal from ATV 4K and passes it through to ARC as Atmos/Dolby Digital +. It does the same thing with the Atmos/Dolby True HD signal it receives from my 4K Blu-ray player, which also doesn't work with direct pass-through over ARC--it processes/converts it to Atmos/Dolby Digital+. As you mention, you can see what signal is being received by the Sonos Arc via the Sonos app, so there's never any question. 
    Are you sure that LG Oled can convert True HD to DD+, not that the source already has DD+ within? I didn't pre-order the ARC because it force me to get an eARC TV, while I have the C8.  If LG Oled can do this conversion, it would be awesome, especially if I can use the plex app to play truehd source.