Apple unveils plans to ditch Intel chips in Macs for 'Apple Silicon'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 342
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    johnbear said:
    That 10-year or older 720p webcam they haven’t changed in the 2020 MacBook pros but they want to change the cpu to an inferior product 

Because the camera is such a big selling point....
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 342
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    larryjw said:
    We know one system that will run the Apple Silicon -- Mac Pro. That's what they were demoing the products on.

And as I figured, we'll be able to run the iOS and iPadOS apps on the new machines. How many millions of apps will be available on day one? 

And, developers will get another platform to sell their apps on -- more cashflow. 

No they weren’t running on a Mac Pro, they were just using the XDR monitors. Graig even showed that in the “About this Mac” dialog.
    tmayJWSCfastasleepuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 342
    jibberjjibberj Posts: 35member
    apple ][ said:
    Xed said:
    apple ][ said:
    I'm just going to pretend that I didn't watch the first minute or two of the keynote and ignore any politics.
    How horrible that someone considers human rights of others. This wouldn't be political to you if you started believing that people of color deserve equal rights.
    It's political crap and I reject it.

Rejecting it is what’s called privilege. Those messages are for people like you. 
    Xedtmayhattigrundhvidmjtomlinhcrefugeekiltedgreenmacky the mackydewmeRayz2016
  • Reply 44 of 342
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Quite curious what hardware they bring on Apple Silicone later this year... My MBP Retina 2012 starts to feel like it needs to be replaced :-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 342
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    beng said:
    So, will Rosetta 2 run 32 bit apps?
    You're joking, right? 32 bit apps are dead and buried. NO, Rosetta 2 will NOT run 32 bit apps. 
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 342
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    No word on Windows support? That's gonna be a deal breaker for some.
    Oferrazorpitelijahgviclauyyc
  • Reply 47 of 342
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

AppleZulu said:
    Remember all those peanuts in the peanut gallery who were cursing Tim Cook because Apple was "abandoning the Mac?" 
    They are abandoning the Mac. The new machines will be just be iPads with a few tweaks. 
    nubuselijahg
  • Reply 48 of 342
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    elijahg said:
    Great that they're supporting Docker and virtualisation, but absolutely no info as to whether you'll be able to run x86 Windows.
    I expect that no mention means "no."  Given the multiple call outs that Microsoft got, it would been easy (and powerful) to mention Windows in the Virtualization segment if they had any interest in supporting that.
    I’ll have to look at it again but doesn’t it just run the Apps, not the Desktop?
  • Reply 49 of 342
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Well this was the best WEDC keynote they’ve ever done, probably the best use of that new theatre since it was built too.
    I do like the new Apple Watch, iPhone and iPads features, even if they are ripped straight from Android.. 

But.. I think Apple could have just killed the Mac, they are asking a lot from development houses here. And when your total market share globally is in single digits, I’m not sure many will comply, most did it for Intel as that’s the platform PCs use anyway, so it was easy, but now asking them to make effectively two apps, one for PC’s and one for Macs and iPads and iPhones, I’m not so sure many will want to do that, or, you’ll end up with a severely less capable app from the iPhone running in your new Max with Apple silicone.
  • Reply 50 of 342
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member
    What happened to Intel?  They seem to be in the same funk they were in back in 2005.  They came out with the Core chips that helped break them out.  Oh yeah, will Microsoft OS's run on the VM?  I'd love to get my Servers over there as well.  I fell asleep (long night - also getting sick...)during the presentation.
    Intel is having a manufacturing problem - they have been stuck on 14nm for too long. That is not related to the inside of the silicon. Apple could have moved to AMD Ryzen as they are produced using the same 7nm by TSMC which also does the A-series, or Apple could have made a co-processor to deliver most of the features.

We didn't see any benchmarks comparing Apple Silicon to Intel and we didn't get any info on power consumption. It was just "this can run on Apple Silicon in 1080p" without showing frame rates. 
    Peza
  • Reply 51 of 342
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    lkrupp said:

AppleZulu said:
    Remember all those peanuts in the peanut gallery who were cursing Tim Cook because Apple was "abandoning the Mac?" 
    They are abandoning the Mac. The new machines will be just be iPads with a few tweaks. 
    No, the Mac is about Mac OS, and this is running Mac OS. Here we have a quad-core A12Z running at least acceptably with native x86 software, nevermind what was running natively. A 12 core A14Z with higher TDP is going to be even better.

Or should we be running on extremely fast 68000 derivatives still?
    edited June 2020 rundhvidmorkynarwhalDeelrontobianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 342
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    macxpress said:
    No word on Windows support? That's gonna be a deal breaker for some.

Why do people think that whenever something new comes out, everything old just stops working. Those people can just buy an Intel Mac, which will still be supported for years. If there aren’t any new ones sold, they can always buy a used one cheaper.
    JWSCRayz2016AppleSince1976DeelronStrangeDaysh2pchiazoetmburaharaviclauyyc
  • Reply 53 of 342
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    I remain skeptical. Not because I don't think Apple can pull this off. They've done it 2x before so clearly they can. Consumers probably won't notice any difference other than better battery life, etc. Will large corporations buy any laptop that doesn't have an x86 compatible processor? Clearly they buy lots of iPhones and iPads so perhaps. Fortunately for Apple the Mac is a small portion of their overall revenue so the risk is relatively small. Especially compared to their last major transition when Mac was the majority of their revenue. This is a multi-year adventure so it will be interesting to follow Apple's progress.
    Pezamacky the mackyrazorpith2pviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 342
    Apple Silicon = touch based Macs? 
    JBSloughnarwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 342
    Man, Apple knocked it out of the park with this. They addressed all the major concerns people have been having over switching to ARM.

They only left out Bootcamp, but even that was indirectly addressed by saying they’re still making Intel Macs as well. By the time they finish transitioning they might have a solution for that too.
    GG1tmaydewmefastasleepAppleSince1976narwhalDeelronStrangeDaysuraharajony0
  • Reply 56 of 342
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Best WWDC keynote in years. Straight to the point, no interacting with a life audience, pre-recorded is they doctor get it right without hiccups and keep it tightly scripted.  They should do it this way every year, with apologies to the live audience who would love to be present.  
    100% agree,  No guest appearances doing lame demos. Just seemed so much more professional to me. 
    GG1narwhalmwhiteuraharajony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 342
    The potential here is amazing. Apple will truly be the first company creating their own computers for the first time, designing everything under one roof, so they can innovate in brand new ways.

Every Apple event can mean major changes to the industry. They can start making computers with faster chips than anything else that's available. And, Intel will have to start innovating again, so better chip competition and faster chips there. But Apple will have the advantage, building their entire system on the newer technology of the two.

And like they said in the keynote, every Mac can have a great GPU now.  Even the Mac Mini and Macbook Air can have a legit GPU in it, not just the Pros.

Plus, Mac will be able to leverage a huge base of info in the iOS ecosystem. The chips from the iPhone will subsidizing the entire operation, and iPhones are probably the most profitable 'computers' in the world. So, no longer will Mac be trying to keep up with off the shelf parts, but will be a first class member of the biggest show in town in it's little brother the iPhone.
    hcrefugeeJWSCfastasleep80s_Apple_Guyviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 342
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    larryjw said:
    We know one system that will run the Apple Silicon -- Mac Pro. That's what they were demoing the products on.

And as I figured, we'll be able to run the iOS and iPadOS apps on the new machines. How many millions of apps will be available on day one? 

And, developers will get another platform to sell their apps on -- more cashflow. 
    We saw a Pro monitor.  But you should not assume they were running it on a MacPro.
    Pezagrayfox691fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 342
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Unlike what the article says, Apple didn’t say what the machines they were using for their demos had in the way of RAM or storage. They did say how much would be in the developer machines. And I would also like to point out that the iPad Pro has 6GB RAM, not 16GB, so the developer machines are not outfitted the same. That’s not surprising, because the Mac needs more resources than iOS devices.
    commentzillawatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 342
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Man, Apple knocked it out of the park with this. They addressed all the major concerns people have been having over switching to ARM.

They only left out Bootcamp, but even that was indirectly addressed by saying they’re still making Intel Macs as well. By the time they finish transitioning they might have a solution for that too.
    Maybe a plug in dongle, remember those cards for the Apple][?  I'm kidding!
    watto_cobra