Apple TV+ is on one billion screens, Apple says at WWDC

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2020
Beyond the one billion screens figure, Apple gave a first look at the high-profile original series "Foundation,"which will debut in 2021.

An image from
An image from "Foundation," coming soon to Apple TV+

At its virtual WWDC keynote on June 22, Apple touted the success of Apple TV+, stating that the service is now on 1 billion screens, nearly eight months after its launch. The "1 billion screens" figure referred to televisions and devices, although Apple has not said exactly how many subscribers the service has.

The company also provided a first look at one of its highest-profile upcoming series, Foundation, which has been in the works since 2018. Apple is collaborating with Skydance Television on the series.

Apple TV+ is now on 1 billion screens, Apple says
Apple TV+ is now on 1 billion screens, Apple says

The show, a science fiction series based on the work of Isaac Asimov, stars Jared Harris and Lee Pace, and comes from a production team that includes David S. Goyer and Josh Friedman. The show began production earlier this year in Limerick, Ireland, but halted it in March, due to coronavirus.

The teaser was also posted to Apple's website and YouTube channel.

Apple's Cindy Lin said that the series will arrive "next year." When Apple first announced Foundation, it received a first-season order of ten episodes.

"Almost 70 years ago, Isaac Asimov introduced the world to a series of epic novels that spanned hundreds of worlds and thousands of years," Lin said. "Many consider it to be the best science fiction series of all time."

Throughout the keynote, Apple also showed glimpses of various Apple TV+ shows in demonstration slides, including Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet, Amazing Stories, and Defending Jacob.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bfranksbfranks Posts: 22member
    1 billion screens for now.  Most of those are probably linked to a free year when you buy an iPhone/Apple TV.  I still haven’t seen a show on there that is a “Must See, unless you include the fact that the original “Fraggle Rock“ is now available to stream. 😎😂
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe I’ll cancel Apple TV+ and then restart my subscription once Foundation is available. It’ll be an interesting take, but it sure doesn’t look or feel how I imagined it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bfranks said:
    1 billion screens for now.  Most of those are probably linked to a free year when you buy an iPhone/Apple TV.  I still haven’t seen a show on there that is a “Must See, unless you include the fact that the original “Fraggle Rock“ is now available to stream. 😎😂
    What makes you think your tastes determine the success or failure of Apple TV+?
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    They must be counting each device a subscriber has. And yes, this is inflated due to all the free subscriptions. I’ve already cancelled mine. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    bfranks said:
    FTFA: "The "1 billion screens" figure referred to televisions and devices, although Apple has not said exactly how many subscribers the service has."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    bfranks said:

The original Fraggle Rock is NOT available to stream in TV+.

ALL TV+ content is exclusive.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Beats said:
    bfranks said:

The original Fraggle Rock is NOT available to stream in TV+.

ALL TV+ content is exclusive.
    Uh:
    "Apple's "Fraggle" back catalog will be available for streaming on Apple TV+ in 100 countries on Wednesday, May 27."

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/05/26/apple-orders-fraggle-rock-reboot-for-apple-tv-buys-streaming-rights-to-back-catalog
    watto_cobra