watchOS 7 will support Apple Watch Series 3 models and later

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Following two revisions of watchOS compatibility going back to the Series 1 Apple Watch, watchOS 7 will leave the Apple Watch Series 2 behind.

One watchOS 7 interface
One watchOS 7 interface

In the WWDC keynote on June 22, Apple unveiled its watchOS 7 update. Apple vice president of technology Kevin Lynch announced the latest version of watchOS on the keynote, stating that "the power of Apple Watch isn't only its built-in features, but the way developers have personalized it for you."

New features its watchOS 7 will include the ability to share Apple Watch faces, expansions of the functionality for both Siri and Maps, and a very of-the-moment function that allows users to time their hand-washing for at least 20 seconds. watchOS 7 will also offer sleep tracking for the first time.

On Apple's watchOS website, it states that "watchOS 7 requires iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 or later and one of the following Apple Watch models: Apple Watch Series 3, Apple Watch Series 4 [and] Apple Watch Series 5."

When watchOS 6 was unveiled at WWDC in June of 2019, Apple said that the new operating system would be available on every Apple Watch except for the original. This was also the case when watchOS 5 was unveiled, in 2018.

A gallery of watchOS 7 watch faces
A gallery of watchOS 7 watch faces

Apple went on to announce, in the fall of 2019, that Apple Watch apps had to be built on watchOS 6 SDK and support Series 4 by April 2020.

The developer beta for watchOS was released June 22 to Apple Developer Program members, while a public beta of watchOS 7 will also be made available in August. watchOS 7, Apple said, will be made available this fall.

"We're energized by the positive impact Apple Watch is having on our customers and are excited to deliver meaningful new tools that support their health, fitness, and wellness," Jeff Williams, Apple's chief operating officer, said in a press release. "watchOS 7 brings sleep tracking, automatic handwashing detection, and new workout types together with a whole new way to discover and use watch faces, helping our users stay healthy, active, and connected."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    That kind of sucks for my Series 2 Edition.  The watch is starting to show its age, but I had hoped to get another year or two out of it. 
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I’d like to see a watch screen store, I think under £1 would be a great start. Let’s see what app creators can do!!!

I like the Mickey/Minnie/mouse/Toy Story, but some more would be welcome, there’s enough film and cartoons that could surely used and would only need basic sound bites. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    That kind of sucks for my Series 2 Edition.  The watch is starting to show its age, but I had hoped to get another year or two out of it. 
    On the bright side it's not going to stop working. I still use my Series 0 for yard work. It gets me through a large part of the day even with an aged battery. There's worse things then being back 1 generation watch OS.  ;)
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Watch Face Sharing? Who cares about sharing the same watch face? In an era of individuality and "the most personal device" Apple has ever made why are they promoting "sameness?"  I'll tell you why...it's a smokescreen! Apple's reasons are transparent as glass. They are "saving" 3rd Party watch faces until the Apple Watch has become boring and guess what? We are already there. There are different watch bands and material watch cases. People like different. But then there's the 2000 pound elephant in the room-lack of 3rd party watch faces. Can I get an amen or is everybody ok with sameness? If we wanted "sameness" we'd all be wearing Rolex and relishing in "this watch is 30 years old and still runs great"
    edited June 2020