Apple Maps will help drivers avoid speed and traffic cameras in iOS 14

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Apple Maps users will soon be able to avoid speed and traffic cameras by using a built in feature set for debut with iOS 14.

Apple Maps on iOS 14
Apple Maps on iOS 14

Apple announced many new improvements for privacy and security across its platforms during the WWDC keynote presentation on Monday, but one potentially controversial feature was left unmentioned. When iOS 14 launches this fall, Apple Maps will inform users of upcoming speed and traffic cameras when navigating through their town.

Traffic cams can be a nuisance for drivers as people try to beat the light or slam on their brakes to avoid a ticket. Avoiding those intersections when possible can likely make things a bit easier for drivers.

Details are scarce, but the addition appears to integrate on-map markers for speed cameras and red-light cameras along a given route. Users are made aware of said cameras as they approach one and can view individual cameras while browsing a map. Whether users can create custom routes to avoid traffic cameras is unclear.

The announcement of traffic cam markers was overshadowed by major Maps advancements like improved privacy, cycling options, electrical vehicle routing, congestion zones and a new Guides feature.

The new setting is not present in the current developer beta of iOS 14, but should be enabled later. It is likely that Apple will need specific mapping data for these intersections, suggesting the feature will be released in phases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    gerardgerard Posts: 83member
    Quite a few apps already have this capability. I am pleasantly surprised to hear of this addition. Anything to help keep citizens from unnecessarily giving away hard earned cash to greedy governments. We pay enough taxes already. 
    cat52elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    At last, instead of taking a direct route on high speed limit roads at the speed limit, I can drive through minor roads at dangerous speeds to reach my destination later.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Better make sure Apple disable it in France as possession of a device that warns of speed cameras is illegal, and in theory can lead to the device being confiscated by the Gendarmes.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Better make sure Apple disable it in France as possession of a device that warns of speed cameras is illegal, and in theory can lead to the device being confiscated by the Gendarmes.
    France has become a communist country under a dictatorial regime where individual freedom is slowly eradicated.
    The French are like the proverbial frog (pun intended) that doesn’t réalisés that it’s being cooked slowly until it’s too late... at what point she can’t fight back and dies.
    Shame, I liked the cheese!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member

That is not how it works, radar detectors are not allowed but using the GPS to warn the user in the proximity of a radar is allowed (voir le site coyote (https://www.moncoyote.com/fr/)).

gatorguyRayz2016
  • Reply 6 of 12
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I for one, hope they add Planning a trip, with the ability to add 8, 10, 12 or more stops along a custom route. I, and many others, currently use google maps because of this feature.

I'd really love to see this kind of a feature then be able to send to my car Nav. While it can be done with a bit of work on my iPhone, it is generally easier to use the Car NAV (which doesn't cut out like the phone does, when reception is bad)
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 12
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I was really looking forward to the addition of cycling routing...until I ran across this critique on the Keynote: https://mashable.com/article/apple-maps-ios14-cycling-bike-routes-bad.amp

• Reply 8 of 12
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    If true, unless Google Maps does the same, I’ll start using Apple Maps regularly.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    bluefire1 said:
    If true, unless Google Maps does the same, I’ll start using Apple Maps regularly.
    I believe Google Maps has done so for some time. Some of these warnings were ported over to Google Maps from the also Google-owned Waze beginning early in 2019. It looks like some of the reporting features aren't being offered/permitted via iOS though, perhaps because Apple was developing them for their own 1st party maps? 
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ifullgaz said:
    France has become a communist country under a dictatorial regime where individual freedom is slowly eradicated.
    The French are like the proverbial frog (pun intended) that doesn’t réalisés that it’s being cooked slowly until it’s too late... at what point she can’t fight back and dies.
    Shame, I liked the cheese!
    The boiling frog thing is a myth. The frog will jump out as soon as it gets too hot. The only creature on Earth that would stay and be cooked in slowly boiling water is the TrumpVoter. The TrumpVoter is best observed in its natural habitat (swamp cookouts and monster truck rallies) and can be easily recognised by the distinctive call it makes when encountering a person of colour:  “CLETUS, GET MUH RIIIFLE!”
    bonobobjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

gatorguy said:
    bluefire1 said:
    I believe Google Maps has done so for some time. Some of these warnings were ported over to Google Maps from the also Google-owned Waze beginning early in 2019. It looks like some of the reporting features aren't being offered/permitted via iOS though, perhaps because Apple was developing them for their own 1st party maps? 
    Or because Google is holding them back like they did with voice directions,  which led to Apple developing their own map solution in the first 
    watto_cobra