iOS 14 sends a notification when apps read your clipboard

Posted:
in General Discussion
After it was previously discovered that apps could access an iPhone's clipboard, the iOS 14 beta has a feature where your iPhone alerts you when a third-party app accesses your iPhone's clipboard.

iOS 14 sends a notification when apps read your clipboard

Apps on iOS or iPadOS generally have had unrestricted access to data copied or cut into the systemwide keyboard. This allowed popular apps, such as TikTok, to read whatever was stored in the clipboard.

Apple, for its part, had said that this is intended behavior. Most data stored in the clipboard tends to be benign, though there have been concerns over apps being able to retrieve credit card numbers or plaintext passwords.

This may change, though, when Apple releases its next version of iOS. An iOS 14 beta feature uncovered by Mysk shows how Apple could make it more apparent when apps snoop on your clipboard.

Looks like @apple fixed the clipboard privacy issue we highlighted earlier this year. Apple said it wasn't an issue, but surprisingly they fixed it in #iOS14 the exact way we recommended in our article.
A notification is shown every time an app or widget reads the clipboard
pic.twitter.com/o6vZzQqO8a

-- Mysk (@mysk_co)

When an app reads your clipboard, iOS 14 pops up a notification stating which app has accessed the clipboard. This notification not only alerts the user to double-check to make sure no critical data has been gathered, but it also eases fears of data being taken without consent. The feature also may make bad actors rethink collecting clipboard data searching for credit card numbers or passwords.

This isn't the only upgrade to privacy in iOS 14. In addition to clipboard notifications, iOS 14 also alerts users when an app accesses their camera or microphone. When used, an orange status indicator appears at the top of the screen.

Apple's Senior Vice President of software engineering Craig Federighi recently offered insight as to why Apple has always tried to put user privacy at the forefront of its design philosophy.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I always thought that clipboard data is only available to another apps when I paste it, it’s concerning that just by carrying data in the clipboard makes it available to whoever. 

So there’s no option to deny that app access to my clipboard data? It’d be nice if there was a don’t allow button. 
    PetrolDaverazorpitjony0
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I always thought that clipboard data is only available to another apps when I paste it, it’s concerning that just by carrying data in the clipboard makes it available to whoever. 

So there’s no option to deny that app access to my clipboard data? It’d be nice if there was a don’t allow button
    Agree — any of those would’ve been much better behavior.
    razorpit
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I always thought that clipboard data is only available to another apps when I paste it. 
    I’d assumed the opposite, otherwise the universal clipboard wouldn’t work, shortcuts wouldn’t be able to retrieve from the clipboard and lots of clipboard managers wouldn’t work. 

With any luck you’ll be able to switch off the notification for certain apps. 

Good idea to notify folk though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    On a side note, I was really hoping for a clipboard manager this year. Long overdue feature.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I always thought that clipboard data is only available to another apps when I paste it. 
    I’d assumed the opposite, otherwise the universal clipboard wouldn’t work, shortcuts wouldn’t be able to retrieve from the clipboard and lots of clipboard managers wouldn’t work. 

What clipboard managers are there for iOS?

I'd assumed, like others I guess that apps didn't have access to the clipboard, except for when the user invoked the cut, copy or paste commands.  Seems weird that it is "intended" behaviour for apps to read it whenever they want.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    crowley said:
    Rayz2016 said:

What clipboard managers are there for iOS?

I'd assumed, like others I guess that apps didn't have access to the clipboard, except for when the user invoked the cut, copy or paste commands.  Seems weird that it is "intended" behaviour for apps to read it whenever they want.
    https://pasteapp.io/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I found a solution for those apps you want to keep but don’t want reading your clip board data!! 

Create a new automated shortcut in the Apple shortcuts app!!

1. Open shortcuts
    2. Click automation (bottom middle of app)
    3. Click + arrow at the top right to create a new automation. 
    4. Click “Create Personal Automation”
    5. Scroll down and click “Open App”
    6. Click “Choose” 
    7. Select the App you want to keep out of your clipboard
    8. Select “Done” from top right. 
    9. Select “Next” from top right. 
    10. Click “ + Add Action”
    11. Search for clipboard in the search bar. 
    12. Scroll down, under “Actions” you will see and select “Copy to Clipboard”
    13. Click the word “Content” and select “Current Date”
    14. Click next at the top right. 
    15. Click done from the top right. 

This will make it so any time you open the app you chose, the app will still copy clip board data but the only thing on the clip board will be the date and time. I tested this using the google app. The google app copies your data as soon as you open it, if you select the search bar but don’t type anything it will show you have in your clip board as a search suggestion. I don’t want apps seeing my clip board because I usually have a CC # or password in it. But! I have apps that I don’t want to live without. This also works if you open the app up from the background it will rerun an keep you protected. Hope this helps until they stop snooping!
    hexclock
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Is there a way to make this INFURIATING feature stop? If I see one more of these, I’ll scream!!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,257member
    I found a solution for those apps you want to keep but don’t want reading your clip board data!! 

Create a new automated shortcut in the Apple shortcuts app!!

1. Open shortcuts
    2. Click automation (bottom middle of app)
    3. Click + arrow at the top right to create a new automation. 
    4. Click “Create Personal Automation”
    5. Scroll down and click “Open App”
    6. Click “Choose” 
    7. Select the App you want to keep out of your clipboard
    8. Select “Done” from top right. 
    9. Select “Next” from top right. 
    10. Click “ + Add Action”
    11. Search for clipboard in the search bar. 
    12. Scroll down, under “Actions” you will see and select “Copy to Clipboard”
    13. Click the word “Content” and select “Current Date”
    14. Click next at the top right. 
    15. Click done from the top right. 

This will make it so any time you open the app you chose, the app will still copy clip board data but the only thing on the clip board will be the date and time. I tested this using the google app. The google app copies your data as soon as you open it, if you select the search bar but don’t type anything it will show you have in your clip board as a search suggestion. I don’t want apps seeing my clip board because I usually have a CC # or password in it. But! I have apps that I don’t want to live without. This also works if you open the app up from the background it will rerun an keep you protected. Hope this helps until they stop snooping!
    I know this post is old, but I just tried this and it works great. I noticed the Radio.com app pasting my clipboard since updating to iOS 14, and in searching for a way to stop it, I ran across your brilliant solution. Well done my friend!