The Mac startup chime is making a return in macOS Big Sur

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 786member
    zroger73 said:
    My late-2014 iMac Retina 27" has never stopped making the startup sound. I have installed every OS X and macOS update that Apple has released. It is currently running macOS 10.15.5. I have never entered any Terminal command to (re)enable the startup sound. I know it still makes the sound because a spontaneous reboot woke me up the night before last. :)
    FTA, the change was introduced in 2016 macs. I had to use terminal to enable it in mine. 
    Ah. I understood from this article that an OS X update in 2016 disabled it.

"Although a software update in 2016 removed the startup chime, a later update to macOS Catalina actually added them under-the-hood -- though it required a Terminal commandto actually enable them."
    razorpitfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    No longer have a Mac, but if I did have one I’d like an option to kill the startup chime.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,693member
    I knew something about macOS Big Sur was familiar...  This is my Leopard Mac OSX 10.5 dock and I think 10.1 Aqua might be even closer. I expect we'll be back to skeuomorphism soon lol.

• Reply 24 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    zroger73 said:
    zroger73 said:
    My late-2014 iMac Retina 27" has never stopped making the startup sound. I have installed every OS X and macOS update that Apple has released. It is currently running macOS 10.15.5. I have never entered any Terminal command to (re)enable the startup sound. I know it still makes the sound because a spontaneous reboot woke me up the night before last. :)
    FTA, the change was introduced in 2016 macs. I had to use terminal to enable it in mine. 
    Ah. I understood from this article that an OS X update in 2016 disabled it.

"Although a software update in 2016 removed the startup chime, a later update to macOS Catalina actually added them under-the-hood -- though it required a Terminal commandto actually enable them."
    I missed this article. Thanks!
  • Reply 25 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,393member
    No longer have a Mac, but if I did have one I’d like an option to kill the startup chime.
    FTFA: "It appears that users can toggle the sound on and off, since there's now a new "Play sound on startup" option in System Preferences."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    I have the beta of Big Sur installed and I noticed the startup chime on my 2018 MacBook Pro. It is hideous. It is noisy and a grating sound. Not pleasant at all. Luckily it is easy to turn off again in the Sound System Preferences "Play sound on startup". Uncheck that box it goes back to nicely silent. If the chime was in any way musical I might keep it on but it really is awful on the 2018 MacBook Pro.