iOS 14 'emergency override' allows charging even when liquid is detected

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2020
Apple's upcoming iOS 14 includes an updated liquid ingress detection system that allows users to override an automated charging disablement feature designed to prevent damage to device internals.

iOS 14 Liquid Warning

The new behavior was spotted by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, who encountered the warning indicator after an apparent mishap on Tuesday. A screenshot of Apple's revamped safeguard was shared in a tweet.

When moisture is detected in iPhone's Lightning port, iOS displays notifications that read, "Charging Not Available" or "Liquid Detected in Lightning Connector." The message related to charging explains that liquid was detected in the connector port and urges the user to disconnect an inserted to allow the port to dry.

"Charging now may damage your iPhone," the notification reads.

Apple now offers an "Emergency Override" option, which assumedly lets users continue the charging process despite the potential for damage. Alternatively, users can heed the iOS 14 warning, disconnect the Lightning cable and manually dismiss the notification.

Liquid ingress protections were first implemented in 2016 as part of an initial iOS 10 beta seed. The feature, which has been available in all subsequent iOS versions, currently alerts users to the presence of liquid but relies on manual intervention to thwart damage.

The latest iOS 14 build is the first to allow users the option to forfeit protections afforded by the system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rprice54rprice54 Posts: 12member
    I had this error on my 13.5.1 iPhone two days ago after a bike ride with the phone in my pocket. I couldn’t figure out why CarPlay wasn’t working so I looked down at my phone and saw that exact message. 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    rprice54 said:
    I had this error on my 13.5.1 iPhone two days ago after a bike ride with the phone in my pocket. I couldn’t figure out why CarPlay wasn’t working so I looked down at my phone and saw that exact message. 

Same, I've seen this message as well. Its nothing new. After a while it went away and everything was back to normal.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tapetape Posts: 47member
    This definitely happens in 13.5.1, as I had it on Sunday after dropping my phone in a lake.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    This is old, I’ve seen it in my screen after getting in the ocean with my iPhone. I’ve had to wait like 12 hours to charge again with USB, however I could charge with the Qi charger.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If it can damage the phone, why would they let you override it?

• Reply 6 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Rayz2016 said:

My question as well. And why would you want to override it? Only so you can fry (parboil?) your device and then demand a replacement because it’s Apple’s fault?

• Reply 7 of 7
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    Rayz2016 said:

Because it's an emergency worth risking damaging the phone, presumably.