Republican bill seeks end to 'warrant-proof' encryption

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
U.S. Senate Republicans on Tuesday introduced the Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act, a bill that seeks to weaken encryption technologies that have in the past put a damper on law enforcement operations.

Privacy Icon

The proposed bill is heralded by sponsors as a means to strengthen national security interests and "better protect communities across the country" by ending "warrant-proof" encrypted technology used by terrorists and bad actors.

If enacted, the law would force tech companies to help agencies access encrypted data in service of a warrant.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Senators Tom Cotton (R-AR) and Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) proposed the act.

"Tech companies' increasing reliance on encryption has turned their platforms into a new, lawless playground of criminal activity. Criminals from child predators to terrorists are taking full advantage," said Cotton. "This bill will ensure law enforcement can access encrypted material with a warrant based on probable cause and help put an end to the Wild West of crime on the Internet,"

Government entities, namely law enforcement agencies, have long sought to dismantle strong encryption methods, including end-to-end messaging encryption, on-device encryption and other forms of personal data security, in a bid to streamline investigations. Critics and tech companies that market encrypted products, like Apple, argue strong encryption is a vital cog in the data privacy machine that, if weakened, leaves users vulnerable to attack.

"Terrorists and criminals routinely use technology, whether smartphones, apps, or other means, to coordinate and communicate their daily activities. In recent history, we have experienced numerous terrorism cases and serious criminal activity where vital information could not be accessed, even after a court order was issued. Unfortunately, tech companies have refused to honor these court orders and assist law enforcement in their investigations," Graham said in a statement.

While not mentioned by name, Apple in 2016 refused to comply with FBI requests to create a "backdoor" into an iPhone associated with a terror suspect. CEO Tim Cook at the time called the demand "dangerous," noting a backdoor into one device would put the security of millions in jeopardy.

Still, government bodies have persisted.

"My position is clear: After law enforcement obtains the necessary court authorizations, they should be able to retrieve information to assist in their investigations," Graham said. "Our legislation respects and protects the privacy rights of law-abiding Americans. It also puts the terrorists and criminals on notice that they will no longer be able to hide behind technology to cover their tracks."

While Apple has vehemently argued against the creation of backdoors, it continues to comply with court orders and valid warrants for data as dictated by existing law.

Today's proposal includes a provision that would allow the attorney general to hold a competition that gives a prize for discovering methods of accessing encrypted data while "maximizing privacy and security." As noted by CNET, security experts have long regarded such concepts as impossible.

"The bill announced today balances the privacy interests of consumers with the public safety interests of the community by requiring the makers of consumer devices to provide law enforcement with access to encrypted data when authorized by a judge," Attorney General Bill Barr said in a statement, CNET reports. "I am confident that our world-class technology companies can engineer secure products that protect user information and allow for lawful access."

The proposed bill is the latest attempt to dilute strong encryption technologies developed by big tech companies.

Last year, the White House mulled support of measures that would ban end-to-end encryption techniques. More recently, Apple, Facebook and others were threatened with an act that would erode Section 230 protections if they continue to shield malicious content behind encryption protocols.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I am a conservative and a enthusiastic Trump supporter. However, weakening encryption is such a bad idea. I am also a pro-lifer who has been an activist with over the past differing levels of involvement. I shudder to think of a time, when today’s Antifa comes to power and then exploits weakened encryption to “enforce the law” against someone like me who engages in legitimate activities, civil disobedience or similar.

Do not think that the Obama administration would not have wanted to have that kind of power, too. It was that administration that approved applications for 501(c)4 status of political organizations on a purely partisan basis (remember Lois Lerner?). Do you have any doubts that they would not have taken the next step, if weak encryption had enabled it and their political opponents had seen it fit to use it? What about a future administration that might see itself following in the ideological footsteps of the Obama administration?

Just like the Second Amendment, strong encryption protects the citizen or associations of citizens from a despotic government. Although we don’t have the right to privacy enshrined in the constitution, it seems to me that it is a natural right, or as the Declaration of Independence puts it, an inalienable right. None of our founding documents purport to provide a complete enumeration of such natural rights. As a matter of fact, the Tenth Amendment states, “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” Likewise, I am certain that it would have been the understanding of the Founding Fathers that there are unenumerated rights. Otherwise there would have never been a constitution without the Bill of Rights, which was passed and ratified two years later.
    ifullgazjrcbadmonklongpathbeeble42razorpitSpamSandwichinTIMidatorjony0
  • Reply 2 of 26
    “[S]trong encryption is a vital cog in the data privacy machine that, if weakened, leaves users vulnerable to attack.”

These senators do not seem to understand 1) the technology they are trying to undermine is critical to a myriad of lawful activities like on-line banking and 2) criminals have the option to use other encryption method [besides those built into Apple’s devices and software] that will not be affected by the proposed bill.  I am all for tracking down criminals, but not at the expense of every other user of encryption-dependent technologies. 
    edited June 2020 baconstangbakedbananasmuthuk_vanalingamlongpathredgeminiparazorpitDogpersonjony0
  • Reply 3 of 26
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Eliminate or outlaw secure encryption.  I thinks that's on page 23 of the "How To Be A Dictator" handbook.
    bakedbananasmuthuk_vanalingamredgeminipaOferDogpersonjony0
  • Reply 4 of 26
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Doesn't seem to be particularly enforceable, but then it never is.
    Dogperson
  • Reply 5 of 26
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I generally agree with Republican goals, but not this one.
    razorpitSpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 26
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    When a key is used by more than one person, it will eventually leak. The TSA keys leaked and now you can get STLs for rapid prototyping machines. New York's 1620 key is available for around $10.

Once a key is leaked, anybody with access to it can use it. Encryption is math, and math does not care if you believe in truth, justice, and the American way. It also, incidentally, doesn't care if you have a warrant or not.

This will provably make US citizens and companies more vulnerable.

Edited to add: I suspect they aren't thinking through any implications of this. Once tech exists for one country to compel a manufacturer to decrypt a device's data, all countries will have the same access. Several countries notably have very low thresholds for warrants. What do these senators think would happen when China brings a phone to Apple and says "Here's a warrant. Decrypt it.", and it turns out the phone actually belongs to the US ambassador or some large business interest?
    edited June 2020 muthuk_vanalingamlongpathbeeble42razorpitOferDogpersonjony0jdb8167baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 26
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Just how would that work? Even if you gain access to encrypted data, you still cannot make use of it unless you know the key to decrypt data. 
  • Reply 8 of 26
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    zimmie said:
    Edited to add: I suspect they aren't thinking through any implications of this. Once tech exists for one country to compel a manufacturer to decrypt a device's data, all countries will have the same access. Several countries notably have very low thresholds for warrants. What do these senators think would happen when China brings a phone to Apple and says "Here's a warrant. Decrypt it.", and it turns out the phone actually belongs to the US ambassador or some large business interest?
    I think they're thinking that the law won't apply to them, because they'll have government encryption that will be exempt. Remember the fuss we've had with recent presidents over using consumer hardware like a Blackberry, or an iPhone because they don't meet DoD or Secret Service security requirements? They think if they use the special government hardened phone, they won't have any problems with their secrets leaking.

It is quite possible that all it would take for this bill to die is one Senator or Congressperson to be forced to hand over their phone to police. As long as it's the right Senator or Congressperson.
    bakedbananasrazorpitDogpersonjony0
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I kinda wonder how the public is going to react to giving law enforcement more power in this current political climate.
    Dogpersonjdb8167
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Politicians in general are not paid to think things through. They are paid to follow the orders of their financial backers. $$$$ talks especially in a presidential election year.  Good luck with all that on-line shopping and banking if this gets passed.

redgeminiparazorpitOferDogpersonjony0baconstang
  • Reply 11 of 26
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Technological naivety. “Terrorists” and the like don’t need 3rd party encryption from tech companies. They can just roll their own. 
    InspiredCoderedgeminiparazorpit
  • Reply 12 of 26
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Do the senators realize that in this way, their own self phones will be not secure anymore too?
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 26
    zeroIDzeroID Posts: 13member
    If a judge signs the order it's almost OK for me.

What I'm afraid that some great and wonderful judge will sign an secret order for all black people accounts or for accounts from a specific country - for example Slovenia, eventually for ALL Apple accounts...
    edited June 2020 Ofer
  • Reply 14 of 26
    arthargartharg Posts: 27member
    Ah! So that would mean that if criminals were to use unbreakable encryption, they'd be breaking the law, right? Oh, wait …
    InspiredCoderazorpitDogperson
  • Reply 15 of 26
    You can’t create encryption that only works for the good guys. I wonder if they really don’t get this or if they just think it is politically favorable to have a stand that will never be enforced. 
    OferDogpersonjony0
  • Reply 16 of 26
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I am a conservative and a enthusiastic Trump supporter. However, weakening encryption is such a bad idea. I am also a pro-lifer who has been an activist with over the past differing levels of involvement. I shudder to think of a time, when today’s Antifa comes to power and then exploits weakened encryption to “enforce the law” against someone like me who engages in legitimate activities, civil disobedience or similar..
    Well I am strongly progressive, vehemently anti Trump, vocally pro choice, and proud to say I am sympathetic with and have marched alongside Antifa.

But I agree with you about the necessity of strong encryption. Personal liberty is dependant on strong encryption. Privacy is the foundation of the Bill of Rights and in the 21st century privacy is dependant on strong encryption. 
    edited June 2020 redgeminipabbhOferDogpersonjony0baconstang
  • Reply 17 of 26
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    I’ve already written to the three sponsors of the bill to point out that what they are proposing greatly weakens National Security and under the rubric of “giving aid & comfort to the enemy” is literally treasonous. I won’t be surprised at all if SS decides to pay me a visit. Encryption is not the danger. Weakened encryption is the danger.
    redgeminiparazorpitOferDogpersonjony0jdb8167baconstang
  • Reply 18 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    qwerty52 said:
    Do the senators realize that in this way, their own self phones will be not secure anymore too?
    Don’t worry. Like our healthcare laws, they’ll be exempt.

And to all those that like to assume what news programs I watch/listen to, this is a bad idea. The two major political parties are the enemies of this constitutional republic.
    edited June 2020 qwerty52inTIMidatorOferDogpersonjony0beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 19 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DAalseth said:
    I am a conservative and a enthusiastic Trump supporter. However, weakening encryption is such a bad idea. I am also a pro-lifer who has been an activist with over the past differing levels of involvement. I shudder to think of a time, when today’s Antifa comes to power and then exploits weakened encryption to “enforce the law” against someone like me who engages in legitimate activities, civil disobedience or similar..
    Well I am strongly progressive, vehemently anti Trump, vocally pro choice, and proud to say I am sympathetic with and have marched alongside Antifa.

But I agree with you about the necessity of strong encryption. Personal liberty is dependant on strong encryption. Privacy is the foundation of the Bill of Rights and in the 21st century privacy is dependant on strong encryption. 
    You’ve marched alongside Antifa, a “proudly” Marxist terror organization? Ouch.
    razorpitqwerty52
  • Reply 20 of 26
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    DAalseth said:

You’ve marched alongside Antifa, a “proudly” Marxist terror organization? Ouch.
    Antifa isn’t an organization, it’s a belief. It stands for anti-fascist. Since when does being against fascism a bad thing?
    Dogpersonjony0anomejdb8167baconstang