'iPhone 12 Pro' lineup predicted to have 120Hz ProMotion display

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2020
A prolific Android leaker has chimed in on the "iPhone 12 Pro" and is expecting at least some of the new models to have a 120Hz ProMotion display.

"iPhone 12" renders from a combination of leaked CAD designs and allegedly leaked information

Previous rumors about the fall 2020 iPhone refresh have pointed to Apple offering up to four models, spread across standard "iPhone 12" and higher-level "iPhone 12 Pro" tiers, with differing display sizes and other features. What has varied, is if the device will have a ProMotion display refreshing at 120Hz, or not.

A new rumor, published on Friday, suggests that the technology will be included in the fall in the "Pro" level phones.

A reliable source, if there is no accident, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max have basically determined the maximum 120Hz refresh rate.

-- Ice universe (@UniverseIce)

Apple is expected to offer two "iPhone 12" models and two "Pro" versions, with one of each being a larger "Max" variant. The standard tier is said to have 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch OLED displays made by BOE, while the Pro models reportedly have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch screens made by Samsung and will feature a 10-bit color depth.
iPhone 12
iPhone 12 MaxiPhone 12 ProiPhone 12 Pro Max
Display5.4-inch BOE OLED Super Retina6.1-inch BOE OLED Super Retina6.1-inch Samsung OLED Super Retina XDR
with ProMotion and 10-bit Color Depth
6.7-inch Samsung OLED Super Retina XDR
with ProMotion and 10-bit Color Depth
Memory4GB4GB6GB6GB
Storage128GB, 256GB128GB, 256GB128GB, 256GB, 512GB128GB, 256GB, 512GB
BodyAluminumAluminumStainless SteelStainless Steel
Rear CamerasDual cameraDual cameraTriple camera + LiDARTriple camera + LiDAR
Pricing$649, $749$749, $849$999, $1,099, $1,299$1,099, $1,199, $1,399
The Pro models are expected to have 6GB of application RAM, versus the non-Pro models having 4GB. The Pro versions allegedly have a stainless steel body versus an aluminum body, while the usual triple camera setup on the Pro will also have LiDAR, whereas the non-Pro will have a dual-camera arrangement.

The "iPhone 12" is predicted to cost $649 for the 128GB-capacity version, rising to $749 for 256GB, and the Max version is said to cost $749 and $849 for each respective capacity.

For reference, the current iPhone 11 range starts from $699, indicating the "iPhone 12" will be cheaper at launch by $50. The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max start from $999 and $1,099, so there seems to be little movement on price for the higher-specification 2020 models.

Previous reports have postulated that the "iPhone 12" would have the 120Hz ProMotion display. There is reportedly internal conflict over inclusion, and it is likely to ship with the feature supported, but whether it will be enabled will depend on battery life.

Friday's report comes from a source with a long track record on Android devices, including within Samsung's supply chain, which notably. supplies the OLED iPhones for Apple. This appears to be the first Apple-related leak from the source.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    My guess:  iPhone  11 stays in the lineup at $549.  XR also at $449.   SE gets lowered to $349 

These price points could really drive UNIT share, which Apple has been reluctant to do so far 

Could be a real game changer vs Android 

• Reply 2 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    iPhone 11 will continue champion among Phone buyers. iPhone 12 line is well thought through with price vs features. Customers will reward with purchases.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, what does 120Hz refresh do for you?   Is it only for gaming?
    Likewise:
    What is "10 bit color depth" and what does that do for you?   (actually, sounds suspiciously like "a two-bit frill").

Should I be excited about either of these?  Do they justify the 2/3's markup over the base iPhone 12?   (Yeh, I know there are other sifferences, but they don't interest me)
  • Reply 4 of 21
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    Likewise:
    What is "10 bit color depth" and what does that do for you?   (actually, sounds suspiciously like "a two-bit frill").

Should I be excited about either of these?  Do they justify the 2/3's markup over the base iPhone 12?   (Yeh, I know there are other sifferences, but they don't interest me)
    Faster refresh rate means less screen blur when scrolling, display is sharper.  I have witnessed this when upgrading to a 144hz gaming monitor from my old standard 60hz. Even in Windows when moving windows around the screen and scrolling web pages the display is so much easier on the eyes.  Motion blur is almost non-existent and it's more like reading a page in a book vs. a digital screen.  You have to see it to understand but it's a big upgrade.  How this translates to a smaller form factor like a phone I can't say, but it sure sounds promising.
    Faster refresh also means better registering of physical input.  Taps, pinch to zoom, etc. all respond better since the screen is taking faster inputs.  Should create a better interface feeling with the phone.  
    As for whether the price increase is justified we'll just have to wait until we get our hands on it.  I have an 11 Pro and I'm still not sure I'll be upgrading this year or waiting until next year.  A lot depends on what Lydar has to offer and if the camera upgrades are significant enough.  My 11 Pro is still a workhorse, battery is going strong after 9 months and it's snappier as always, so it's going to have to impress a lot to get me to pay for the next version.
    GeorgeBMacRayz2016doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 21
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Likewise:

Personally I’m more excited by 10bit color than the 120Hz refresh.
    I think at times color depth is even more important than resolution.
    Going from 8 bit to 10 bit is not a small jump. 

This means a 10-bit image can display up to 1.07 billion colors, while an 8-bit photo can only display 16.7 million.”

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/8-bit-10-bit-what-does-it-all-mean-for-your-videos
    GeorgeBMacdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 21
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member

The "iPhone 12" is predicted to cost $649 for the 128GB-capacity version, rising to $749 for 256GB, and the Max version is said to cost $749 and $849 for each respective capacity.

For reference, the current iPhone 11 range starts from $699, indicating the "iPhone 12" will be cheaper at launch by $50. The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max start from $999 and $1,099, so there seems to be little movement on price for the higher-specification 2020 models.
    That is misleading. IPhone 11 (6.1") costs 699. iPhone 12 (6.1" Max version) is supposed to costs 749. So it is not cheaper.
    But desired iPhone SE2 is coming in form of 5.4" iPhone 12. It wont me much bigger then original SE.

source reddit

Japhey
  • Reply 7 of 21
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    Likewise:

Faster refresh rate means less screen blur when scrolling, display is sharper.  I have witnessed this when upgrading to a 144hz gaming monitor from my old standard 60hz. Even in Windows when moving windows around the screen and scrolling web pages the display is so much easier on the eyes.  Motion blur is almost non-existent and it's more like reading a page in a book vs. a digital screen.  You have to see it to understand but it's a big upgrade.  How this translates to a smaller form factor like a phone I can't say, but it sure sounds promising.
    Faster refresh also means better registering of physical input.  Taps, pinch to zoom, etc. all respond better since the screen is taking faster inputs.  Should create a better interface feeling with the phone.  
    As for whether the price increase is justified we'll just have to wait until we get our hands on it.  I have an 11 Pro and I'm still not sure I'll be upgrading this year or waiting until next year.  A lot depends on what Lydar has to offer and if the camera upgrades are significant enough.  My 11 Pro is still a workhorse, battery is going strong after 9 months and it's snappier as always, so it's going to have to impress a lot to get me to pay for the next version.
    GeorgeBMacchasm
  • Reply 8 of 21
    aderutter said:
    Likewise:

This means a 10-bit image can display up to 1.07 billion colors, while an 8-bit photo can only display 16.7 million.”

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/8-bit-10-bit-what-does-it-all-mean-for-your-videos

Ahhh!
    But I'm a guy -- and we only see Blue, Green and Red.   Why would I need billions?   I'm still trying to figure out "Chartreuse" and "Fuscia" -- I figure that they're just other names for green & red.
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 9 of 21
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    aderutter said:
    Likewise:

“This means a 10-bit image can display up to 1.07 billion colors, while an 8-bit photo can only display 16.7 million.”

Ahhh!
    But I'm a guy -- and we only see Blue, Green and Red.   Why would I need billions?   I'm still trying to figure out "Chartreuse" and "Fuscia" -- I figure that they're just other names for green & red.
    10 bit is really about dynamic range, so your media can approach the capabilities of the human eye, ei, seeing light and dark, and color shades. May not be a big deal on a mobile device, but it certainly will give you better images and video playback of media encoded to 10 or more bits.
    edited June 2020 GeorgeBMacaderutterdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    The higher the refresh rate the better, in general terms, but there are things that need to be taken into account. Number 1 is probably the impact on battery life.

Some people say the jump from 60Hz to 90Hz is more noticeable than the jump from 90Hz to 120Hz.

Given where flagships have been going for the last few years, Apple can't really not offer a faster refresh rate at least on some models. 

Of course, stepping down to a lower rate due to preference or wanting to extend battery life is always an option for the user so in that sense there is a certain amount of flexibility. 

As for colour depth, it's not something that I would really appreciate in my phone use. Then again user options are always nice to have. 

There are technologies that allow you to do things better or faster and technologies that are simply enhancements. Colour bit depth is in that second group.

Given the choice for example of Wi-Fi 6, 120Hz refresh rate and higher colour bit depth but only being allowed to choose two of the three, I think most would sacrifice the higher bit depth on a phone. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 21
    avon b7 said:
    Some people say the jump from 60Hz to 90Hz is more noticeable than the jump from 90Hz to 120Hz.

Well yeh, one is a 50% increase.   The other only a 1/3.
    llama
  • Reply 12 of 21
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    I wonder if this would have anything to do with rumored Apple Pencil support.
    GeorgeBMacchasm
  • Reply 13 of 21
    roake said:
    I wonder if this would have anything to do with rumored Apple Pencil support.

Yes, I wondered the same.   When the iPad Pro gained 120Hz refresh rate they spoke about how it enabled the pencil to flow more smoothly as it moved over the screen.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    avon b7 said:
    The higher the refresh rate the better, in general terms, but there are things that need to be taken into account. Number 1 is probably the impact on battery life.

Given where flagships have been going for the last few years, Apple can't really not offer a faster refresh rate at least on some models. 

Of course, stepping down to a lower rate due to preference or wanting to extend battery life is always an option for the user so in that sense there is a certain amount of flexibility. 

As for colour depth, it's not something that I would really appreciate in my phone use. Then again user options are always nice to have. 

There are technologies that allow you to do things better or faster and technologies that are simply enhancements. Colour bit depth is in that second group.

Given the choice for example of Wi-Fi 6, 120Hz refresh rate and higher colour bit depth but only being allowed to choose two of the three, I think most would sacrifice the higher bit depth on a phone. 
    I would drop Wi-Fi 6 and 5G too :)

Can’t even get 3G in my house and “only” get 50Mbps download and 5Mbps upload broadband lol

i do think refresh rate and dynamic range are more important on iPads though (bigger screen more likely to be used to watch videos).
  • Reply 15 of 21
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    Talk candela per square meter and battery life to get my attention.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Since nobody else directly mentioned it, I'll just add that the 120Hz and 10-bit is good for people who do a lot of watching videos on their phones, as well as the smother and more responsive interaction. In short there are some benefits for non-gamers with that, but this lineup (if correct, and it likely is) seems very well tiered and thought out, so consumers can easily work out what device and price are right for their needs, with just the right amount of longing for the one they can't quite afford (which will become more affordable next time you are phone-shopping).
    GeorgeBMactmay
  • Reply 17 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    For $1199, I’ll go for the 12 Pro Max 256GB, thank you.   

6.7 inch?   Why not.  It will make my iPhone 7 Plus seem tiny in comparison.  

My wallet is ready.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 21
    eriamjh said:
    For $1199, I’ll go for the 12 Pro Max 256GB, thank you.   

6.7 inch?   Why not.  It will make my iPhone 7 Plus seem tiny in comparison.  

My wallet is ready.
    Personally… I'd rather see that my Apple Watch didn't rely on me also having an iPhone, and an iPad Pro mini.

There's this weird arbitrary separation between the iPhones and the iPads rn; and I wish they just consolidated it all into a single platform, with a regular and a pro line, and different display sizes.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    svanstrom said:
    Personally… I'd rather see that my Apple Watch didn't rely on me also having an iPhone, and an iPad Pro mini.
    Not happening. And some of us like it that way, since it improves the Watch's functionality dramatically.

That said, the syncing experience between the Watch the iPhone could be improved quite a bit.
    llamaGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 21
    svanstrom said:
    Not happening. And some of us like it that way, since it improves the Watch's functionality dramatically.

That said, the syncing experience between the Watch the iPhone could be improved quite a bit.
    You like that you can't make phone calls, receive SMS and third party notifications without an iPhone, even though the AW easily could handle stuff like that without an iPhone; is that what you consider dramatically improved functionality?