10.8-inch, 8.5-inch iPads will have 20W charger, iPhone 12 won't, says Ming-Chi Kuo

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    iadlibiadlib Posts: 94member
    Apple doesn’t need to save any dang money by not including a decent charger with their flagship product. That’s tantamount to some kind of corporate negligence on their part. They’ve already biffed in this area quite a bit with the anemic chargers they included with iPhone and iPad at first. If anything they need to take a page out of the MacBook Pro and include a decent charger. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For somebody buying a new iPhone each year another charger is likely not needed.
    For somebody buying a new iPhone every 4th year, they need a new charger.

The allegation that Apple will eliminate the charger "to reduce costs" is ridiculous.   That's how lesser companies operate.  But not Apple.

Would it instead come with a wireless charger?   What good is a wireless charger without the brick and cord to supply it with electricity?
    Actually, Apple is more likely, I think, to eliminate the charging port than the charger.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 23 of 35
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 422member
    Take home message. Apple doesn't care about it's customers. They want cash. As much cash as possible.

They COULD easily put some air pods and a wireless charger in the box. But more profit to be made by selling them separate. 

And that's fair enough. That's business. But they should expect some flashback when they have the audacity to broadcast how much they love and respect their cash cows/customers. 
  • Reply 24 of 35
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 598member

I don’t care about the charger issue.

But I do care what this new 2020 iPad will be.
    Will it be a new iPad Air? My guess is yes.
    Will it include Lidar?
    If Apple are serious about AR then I say yes it will.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,104member
    For somebody buying a new iPhone each year another charger is likely not needed.
    For somebody buying a new iPhone every 4th year, they need a new charger.

The allegation that Apple will eliminate the charger "to reduce costs" is ridiculous.   That's how lesser companies operate.  But not Apple.

I agree completely. So don’t include the charger or the charging cable and sell them as accessories,  (at a lower price than the current one please). Then the ones who have a bunch of chargers don’t get more of them and the ones who don’t can buy them. 

• Reply 26 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    lkrupp said:
    Can someone fill me in. When was the last time this guy was right about something? Isn't he the one that predicted an Apple branded HDTV for years? 
    Kuo still struggling for relevance.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 27 of 35
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 930member
    The other option is this move keeps the cost of the new iPhones down a bit: that 5G, new screen etc. are going to be costly, this sort of move could mitigate that by shifting those extra components to choices made by the purchaser. For myself I’ve a lifetime supply of EarPods, I rarely if ever use them and my iPhone 12 Pro Max box still has that set in it untouched. AirPods? I don’t use the EarPods do they’re not any sort of automatic purchase and unless Apple stops offering the AirPods for sale separately not imposing them in the box won’t automatically shift sales to the far more expensive AirPods. $159 is a long leap from $29: nothing automatic at all. And similarly my current 18w charger doesn’t make the new 20w charger Look like a must have. 

Charging is also evolving into choices. For many the convenience of wireless means different items than those for someone preferring the rapidity and power efficiency of the direct cable. 
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Don't get cheap on us Apple!

If anything, you should be upgrading the chargers you supply.   You've been supplying substandard 5W chargers since the beginning.
    People need upgraded chargers to keep up with the technology of today's fast charging phones.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This makes sense only if Apple is removing the charging port and provide a wireless pad. 
  • Reply 30 of 35
    tzeshan said:
    This makes sense only if Apple is removing the charging port and provide a wireless pad. 

Won't you still need a brick & cord though?
  • Reply 31 of 35
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:

I need to plug and unplug several times a day. With wireless charging, I only need to drop iPhone. It will be very convenient. 
  • Reply 32 of 35
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 930member
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:

I need to plug and unplug several times a day. With wireless charging, I only need to drop iPhone. It will be very convenient. 
    But substantially slower. Which for battery health is good, convenience notsomuch. 

Choice is better. Such as my iPhone 11. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 35
    JFC_PA said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:

But substantially slower. Which for battery health is good, convenience notsomuch. 

Choice is better. Such as my iPhone 11. 

Yeh, especially if Apple would release an 18-30 watt brick.   All of their phones will now accept a fast charge -- except you have to buy a separate charger to do it.

I did that for my grandson:   I got him a 30 Watt charger that doubles as a mobile charger from its own battery.  He takes it with him when he goes on bike rides with his friends -- he can charge his phone and his friend's with it.   And, it's been helpful:  one of them got in big trouble because they weren't answering their parent's phone calls because their phone had died (plus of course, they can keep up with all the teenage gossip and videos while out and about!)
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Since the rumor is utterly ridiculous but also multi-faceted, here is my take:

•  Apple is redesigning all of its chargers and phasing out the tiny 5W charger and others.
    •  The chargers are larger, and Apple does not want to increase the size of iPhone packaging or packaging weight as this has an actual cost and environmental impact (unlike the stupid suggestion of 'e-waste').
    •  So Apple is instead going to make the iPhone packaging smaller and save money and reduce distribution resource impact, by removing the charger from the box (and the EarPods while they're at it).
    •  When purchasing an iPhone, the charger will be available separately, for free, for anyone who wants it. It will be optional. You select while adding to your cart, or the sales person a the store will offer it. Those want a charger get one, at no cost, and Apple is able to significantly reduce iPhone packaging.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 806member
    I just hope Apple puts in updated components into the iPad Mini instead of the 2-4 year old components from other mobile devices and call it the next version again.  Apple also loves to screw the buyer on skimping on the amount of RAM too.  With RAM costing next to nothing from 4GB to 6GB too.  The Mini always get or not get cheapest components too.  I beat it will not get the quality mini LED found in the iPhone 12 Pro either!  LOL!
    edited June 2020