Benchmarks for iMac with unreleased Intel processor & Radeon Pro surface

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,730member
    chasm said:
    the costs of SSD tech has come down to the point that the very notion of Apple offering a 5400RPM (!) hard drive as the main storage of a Fusion Drive in 2020 is nearly criminal in its cruelty to consumers on what is otherwise a very fast and capable machine.
    Agreed.  macOS has been changed to significantly rely on the hard drive for data management.  I recently upgraded an old Mini with a 5400RPM drive to a fast SSD (for a little over $100 CDN) and the performance difference is night and day.  It went from constantly beach balling to jet skiing.  No excuse to be using mechanical hard drives anymore except on very low end machines (which the iMac isn't).
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    red oak said:
    Intel is incapable of making a cooler running CPU.   It is really sad what has happened to that once great company.  These iMacs will serve as portable room heaters 

Apple Silicon is going to use one half the energy (or better) with better performance.  
    ...or, for desktop machines at least, perhaps the same energy with 4 times the performance...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    johnbear said:
    chasm said:
    While I’m not personally in the market for an iMac, my main hope for those buying one is that Apple finally removes the last vestiges of traditional hard drives from its lineup with this model. Fusion drives were a clever idea when they first arrived — nicely bridging the then-expensive costs of SSDs while balancing the benefits through intelligent management — the costs of SSD tech has come down to the point that the very notion of Apple offering a 5400RPM (!) hard drive as the main storage of a Fusion Drive in 2020 is nearly criminal in its cruelty to consumers on what is otherwise a very fast and capable machine.
    I would add here to the list the abominable 10-year old 720p webcam that the MacBook pros of 2020 are equipped with
    So, pray tell, who in their right mind needs a 4k (or even 1080p) camera mounted into the lid of their laptop!?!

Afterall, your face (or junk) is less than a foot away from a lid-mounted camera; so exactly how much detail do you really think is useful for that FaceTime or Zoom chat???

increasing the resolution (and thus the required transmission bandwidth) of a lid-mounted webcam in a laptop is nothing more than useless spec-checklisting that is typically the hallmark of nasty Windows laptops.

Apple users are generally smart enough not to fall for that ridiculous and useless form of pissing-contest.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,422member
    mjtomlin said:
    MplsP said:
    Didn’t they say at WWDC that there were new intel iMacs coming later this year?
    Tim Cook said Apple has more Intel-based Macs in the pipeline.  He didn't say when.  But other well-known leakers have mentioned an updated iMac is imminent. 
    If they are planning on completing the transition to Apple silicon within 2 years any new intel machines can’t be that far off.

I believe that any new Intel Macs would be the Pros. The iMac Pro is overdue for an update.
    Are there newer Xeons worth an upgrade available?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,422member
    johnbear said:
    chasm said:
    While I’m not personally in the market for an iMac, my main hope for those buying one is that Apple finally removes the last vestiges of traditional hard drives from its lineup with this model. Fusion drives were a clever idea when they first arrived — nicely bridging the then-expensive costs of SSDs while balancing the benefits through intelligent management — the costs of SSD tech has come down to the point that the very notion of Apple offering a 5400RPM (!) hard drive as the main storage of a Fusion Drive in 2020 is nearly criminal in its cruelty to consumers on what is otherwise a very fast and capable machine.
    I would add here to the list the abominable 10-year old 720p webcam that the MacBook pros of 2020 are equipped with
    So, pray tell, who in their right mind needs a 4k (or even 1080p) camera mounted into the lid of their laptop!?!

Afterall, your face (or junk) is less than a foot away from a lid-mounted camera; so exactly how much detail do you really think is useful for that FaceTime or Zoom chat???

increasing the resolution (and thus the required transmission bandwidth) of a lid-mounted webcam in a laptop is nothing more than useless spec-checklisting that is typically the hallmark of nasty Windows laptops.

Apple users are generally smart enough not to fall for that ridiculous and useless form of pissing-contest.
    The FaceTime camera on my 2018 MBP is *markedly* worse quality than the one I had on my 2011 MBP. I was shocked when I first saw it. I don't use my webcam, but for those that do on a regular basis this does matter a bit.
    watto_cobra