Apple TV+ poaches Sony Pictures Television co-president Chris Parnell

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sony Pictures Television Studios co-president Chris Parnell is leaving the company for a role at Apple TV+.

Credit: Getty Images
Credit: Getty Images

Parnell will join the Cupertino tech giant's streaming business in a senior programming role. He will report to Matt Cherniss, Apple's head of scripted development, and will help drive development of Apple's original TV series.

In a memo seen by Variety, Sony Pictures Television Studios President Jeff Frost said that the studio has "multiple projects" with Apple and looks forward to working with Parnell at his new role.

During his 16 years at Sony, Parnell worked on high-profile series including The Blacklist," "Preacher" and "Outlander." He also worked with Apple on its original "For All Mankind" series, which was recently renewed for a second season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Interesting. I’ve said here a number of times that Apple needs to make an offer to buy out a studio (or two) and their library of content before. I mentioned MGM and Sony, both companies with excellent libraries, but a spotty record with their more recent offerings.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Interesting. I’ve said here a number of times that Apple needs to make an offer to buy out a studio (or two) and their library of content before. I mentioned MGM and Sony, both companies with excellent libraries, but a spotty record with their more recent offerings.
    Waste of money. Instead, you buy the leadership who contract with all the writers and upcoming shows, secure top tier directors and support staff. Apple has a studio in LA. They are building  that out with a leadership from top to bottom to rival any studio, around the world. Writers are the heart n' soul of any studio. Directors are second. MGM has no useful catalogue for people today--people under 40 who Apple is making its main target audience. Sony is going to blow up again with the PS 5 and there is no need to get into a contractual battle with Disney over properties Sony shares with Disney.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Waste of money. Instead, you buy the leadership who contract with all the writers and upcoming shows, secure top tier directors and support staff. Apple has a studio in LA. They are building  that out with a leadership from top to bottom to rival any studio, around the world. Writers are the heart n' soul of any studio. Directors are second. MGM has no useful catalogue for people today--people under 40 who Apple is making its main target audience. Sony is going to blow up again with the PS 5 and there is no need to get into a contractual battle with Disney over properties Sony shares with Disney.
    I think what we’ve learned over the past two weeks is that Apple doesn’t seem to regard your strategic advice that highly. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    For a moment there, I thought this was the voice of Cyril Figgis from Archer! Turns out that guy is Thomas Christopher Parnell, even though he is credited as "Chris Parnell" in the series.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    litolooplitoloop Posts: 96member
    scanned apple tv recently and saw that they now have quite a lot of offerings. well, a lot than they started but definitely a lot, lot less than netflix or the other subscription providers. good enough to keep me busy. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Buying a library of content gets them from zero to 60 immediately. No waiting. Know how long it takes for them to get competitive with Netflix or Amazon Prime (or cable TV, for that matter)? Possibly a decade? Content people want doesn’t spring into existence overnight.
    edited July 2020