Apple launches online web portal for Apple Card management via browser

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Apple on Thursday launched a new online portal for the Apple Card, letting users manage their cards through a browser.

Credit: Apple

Previously, all Apple Card transactions and management tasks were handled on an iPhone through the Wallet app. That include paying bills, viewing statements and seeing other information.

Now, there's a web portal available for Apple Card customers to manage their accounts on any web browser. That includes viewing and paying balances, seeing available credit and past statements, and scheduling future payments. That will be a boon to Apple Card users in some situations. For example, before the online web portal, users who lost their devices were required to call Goldman Sachs to pay off their balances.

The Apple Card launched in 2019 in partnership with Goldman Sachs as a mobile-forward credit solution. Since its debut, Apple has expanded the number of retailers to support 3% Daily Cash and has introduced monthly installment plans for various devices across its product lineup.

On May, the company launched a credit coaching program for Apple Card applicants who had been previously denied. And, amid the coronavirus pandemic, Apple has also kept a payment deferment plan running from March through July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    electorelector Posts: 56member
    Nice feature but does not show the actual charge postings as it does on the iphone. 
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Pretty useless portal. For now, I am in the dark ages with my Apple Card because it is the only credit card where I can't download transactions and import them into my finance software. Hopefully, that eventually becomes available.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Pretty useless portal. For now, I am in the dark ages with my Apple Card because it is the only credit card where I can't download transactions and import them into my finance software. Hopefully, that eventually becomes available.

And exactly what software is that? There are four different options for export now.

Just checked it out. A nice option when I'm at the computer paying other bills anyway. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to add as a payee to my online banking.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 4 of 16
    electorelector Posts: 56member
    mike1 said:
    And exactly what software is that? There are four different options for export now.

Just checked it out. A nice option when I'm at the computer paying other bills anyway. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to add as a payee to my online banking.
    ??? On the web portal it still shows my bank to pay my invoice. The same for my iPhone and iPads.

Are you referring to where you set up a monthly payment via having your bank or credit union paying them?  (Bill payer account)

There is a link to schedule a payment on the web portal. However I just click the PAY button and I let it come out of my bank/cu account. Cannot be much easier.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 16
    elector said:
    Nice feature but does not show the actual charge postings as it does on the iPhone. 
    I logged in and can't see charges posted but I'm not sure if that is due the the billing cycling having just happened and haven't charged anything in the last two days. There are statements so that is something. 
  • Reply 6 of 16
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    I love how people come here to complain that a nascent entry into credit card services isn't as complete as others, especially when they've just added a new feature. I especially love when the complain that it doesn't have export options without saying what SW they use or export option(s) they need.
    edited July 2020 Rayz2016cflcardsfan80anantksundaramStrangeDayslkrupp
  • Reply 7 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Xed said:
    I love how people come here to complain that a nascent entry into credit card services isn't as complete as others, especially when they've just added a new feature. I especially love when the complain that it doesn't have export options without saying what SW they use or export option(s) they need.
    Having a web site to access your card is pretty basic functionality, as is downloading a QIF file of transactions. The apple card has been out for almost a year and is lacking features that pretty much every other card on the market has. Quick is the standard for financial software export and virtually every program will use QIF formatted files, so when people are complaining, that's what they're complain about.

I'm happy that the Apple Card is slowly coming up to par in terms of features, but I can't disagree that they have been slow to come.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 8 of 16
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    @AppleInsider what about the newly added feature of applying for Apple Card online and for android?? This was announced today too
  • Reply 9 of 16
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    AppleCard is quite simply the most civilized, classy, simple, aesthetically appealing, customer-friendly credit card I've used. The service from Goldman Sachs is off-the-charts: even Apple's CS, which is pretty darn good, is second-best by comparison.

It's great that they keep adding to its functionality. The only minor functionality missing -- and that's not a huge deal -- is for one to be able to get actual, physical cards for the other family members.

I hope Apple can maintain this quality in an industry that is otherwise largely in a race-to-the-bottom (don't even get me started on the decline in quality/service of Amex platinum, which used to be -- sorry to be mixing metaphors -- the gold standard).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    @AppleInsider what about the newly added feature of applying for Apple Card online and for android?? This was announced today too
    Can you sign up?  I can only see a sign in option.  https://card.apple.com/
  • Reply 11 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    Having a web site to access your card is pretty basic functionality, as is downloading a QIF file of transactions. The apple card has been out for almost a year and is lacking features that pretty much every other card on the market has. Quick is the standard for financial software export and virtually every program will use QIF formatted files, so when people are complaining, that's what they're complain about.

I'm happy that the Apple Card is slowly coming up to par in terms of features, but I can't disagree that they have been slow to come.
    If Quicken is on top of its game, shouldn't it be able to import standard .CSV files? An open, generic, flexible file format, and all that...? Wouldn't the inability to do so be like Excel (another standard) refusing to import .CSV and only work with .XLS?

Here's what the export page says:

If your iPhone has iOS 13.2 or later, you can export or download transactions from a previous month as a .CSV, .OFX, .QFX, or .QBO file.*

Quicken 2019 and newer and QuickBooks 2018 and newer are supported. If you use a third-party financial app or software provider, contact them to see which versions are compatible with these file types.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211236

edited July 2020
  • Reply 12 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    crowley said:
    Please show us the link that says Android users can apply. Why would non-Apple users even want the Apple Card in the first place? 
  • Reply 13 of 16
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    crowley said:
    I don't think so. It's simply a site to manage payments and statements, as of now.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    Please show us the link that says Android users can apply. Why would non-Apple users even want the Apple Card in the first place? 
    What?  Obviously I don't have any such link, otherwise I wouldn't be asking the question.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

That feature was quietly added / upgraded at the end of May of this year.  It now let's you export in a variety of formats --- including Quicken's .QFX.
    "Export Transactions" sits right below 'Download PDF Statement' when you tap on your statement.

My procedure now is to:
    -- Download the statement and print it
    -- export my transactions in .QFX format and save them in the Documents folder of my iCloud Drive.
    -- Sign on to iCloud while Quicken is running on my financial laptop and click on the most recent download -- the transactions appear under my Apple Card in Quicken.
    -- Accept each matched transaction & reconcile any mismatches
    -- Reconcile my Apple Card and select a payment date -- usually the 4th Wednesday of the month (when my Social Security check is deposited) and select that date on my phone.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 16 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:

If Quicken is on top of its game, shouldn't it be able to import standard .CSV files? An open, generic, flexible file format, and all that...? Wouldn't the inability to do so be like Excel (another standard) refusing to import .CSV and only work with .XLS?

Here's what the export page says:

If your iPhone has iOS 13.2 or later, you can export or download transactions from a previous month as a .CSV, .OFX, .QFX, or .QBO file.*

Quicken 2019 and newer and QuickBooks 2018 and newer are supported. If you use a third-party financial app or software provider, contact them to see which versions are compatible with these file types.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211236

The problem with CSV is exactly that it’s generic. There is no standard format for CSV files, other than having commas. I don’t know if Quicken can import from CSV files, but if it could you would need to review each import and specify which parameters you were importing each time and which fields they belonged to. It also likely wouldn’t support features like automatic matching of duplicate transactions, etc. Essentially it would be giving you 1995-era functionality. QFX files have more information and are standardized to allow automatic import into financial software. Just like docx has become a de facto standard for documentS, QFX has become the standard for financial data files. 

See GeorgeB’s post above. Every other credit card I have ever used allows both direct import from the bank into financial software as well as downloading a QFX file from the web site. After several months the Apple Card finally had QFX file download, but it’s only from the phone so you have to go though the entire convoluted, kludge of a workflow described by GeorgeB. 
    edited July 2020 GeorgeBMac