Apple files to halt future patent lawsuits from Zipit Wireless

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is seeking a declaratory judgement to determine that it does not infringe on two instant messaging patents owned by a company named Zipit Wireless, which previously leveled claims against the tech giant.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

In a complaint filed Friday with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, Apple argues that it does not infringe on Zipit's intellectual property. Zipit Wireless is the creator of a secure messaging platform.

Zipit previously filed a lawsuit against Apple in June 2020, alleging that iMessage and Apple's mobile devices infringe on two pieces of IP, specifically patents that cover instant messaging terminals through a wireless access point. In its complaint Friday, Apple argues that it did not infringe on the patents because they concern products with a separate "display" and "data entry device," or a physical hardware keyboard. Apple's iPhones, of course, only have a display and a software keyboard.

Suddenly, and reportedly without any notice to Apple, Zipit voluntarily dismissed its litigation on June 24, 2020, the complaint reads.

Apple says that correspondence between itself and Zipit dates back to at least 2014. Throughout those conversations, Zipit claimed that Apple infringed on its patents, allegations Apple denies. An agreement was never reached and Apple believes that, despite the recent withdrawal, Zipit is likely to file suit again.

Zipit's dismissal of former litigation without prejudice "demonstrates that it is highly likely that ... Zipit will again assert infringement" of its patents, Apple argues.

"A judicial declaration is necessary to determine the respective rights of the parties regarding the asserted patents," the complaint reads.

Apple is seeking a judgement declaring that it did not and does not infringeme on Zipit's patents, as well as legal expenses and attorneys' fees.

Apple v. Zipit by Mikey Campbell on Scribd

(function() { var scribd = document.createElement("script"); scribd.type = "text/javascript"; scribd.async = true; scribd.src = "https://www.scribd.com/javascripts/embed_code/inject.js"; var s = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(scribd, s); })();

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Glad to see Apple taking a more proactive stance. 
    Rayz2016aderutterwilliamlondonPetrolDaveDeelronjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I wonder how many lawsuits Apple has at one time. Crazy.

Since Apple has money expect them to lose lawsuits over the most stupid things. Apple is like a male in a courtroom, automatically guilty and Me-Too'd to death.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Beats said:

Since Apple has money expect them to lose lawsuits over the most stupid things. Apple is like a male in a courtroom, automatically guilty and Me-Too'd to death.
    Oh lord.  Please stop with this inane “like a male in court” BS. 
    iqatedofotoformatmuthuk_vanalingamDAalsethDeelronDancingMonkeysbestkeptsecretroundaboutnowjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Beats said:

Hey, you know the saying: if you can’t do the time then don’t force people to have sex with you against their will. 

But I’m sure Harvey Weinstein is grateful for your support. Poor guy can’t seem to catch a break these days. 🙄
    edited July 2020 fotoformatbageljoeyhammeroftruthmuthuk_vanalingamDAalsethDeelronDancingMonkeysroundaboutnowjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    DAalseth said:
    Said it before and I’ll say it again. 

If you lose the case then you and your lawyers should cover the winner’s costs. 
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    Beats said:
    Apple is like a male in a courtroom, automatically guilty and Me-Too'd to death.
    Holy crap, that sexual harassment suit must have cost him a bundle! Are we sure Beats isn't the screen name for Harvey? :lol: 

Bad news, dude: nobody's buying what you're selling on this.
    hammeroftruthmuthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnowjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Beats said:

Probably no more or less than other tech companies at any one time. Remember, we only hear about lawsuits against Apple on Apple centric tech blogs. It's just like someone who wins the lottery and suddenly relatives they never knew they had are asking for a handout. Apple is the most valuable company on the planet and therefore has a giant target on its back that says "WE HAVE MONEY, LOTS OF IT!"
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,302member
    Happy 4th! Here’s your dud for today. 

“Apple has filed a brief for zipit to zip it!”

😂😂😂

My apologies to anyone who has experienced brain freeze. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    Waiting for some troll to charge Apple Silicon with patent infringement. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Rayz2016 said:
    DAalseth said:
    Said it before and I’ll say it again. 

If you lose the case then you and your lawyers should cover the winner’s costs. 
    I've come around the the idea of Loser Pays. I understand the drawbacks, but they have to find a way to put an end to these MegaBucks Lottery lawsuits. There are whole companies, whole law firms, that do nothing but sue for damages in the hope that one in a hundred will pay off big.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,316member
    Now if Apple could just wave a wand and halt the silly litigation every other nutcase out there suing them, things would finally be on the right track.

Seriously, if the world banned all lawsuits for 1 year, humanity would take a giant leap forward.  

Life is hard.  Bad things happen.  Life can go on happily without lawsuits.  And there you have it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Jesse James was once asked ‘Why do you rob banks?’
    ’Because that’s where the money is at.’
    jony0watto_cobra