Logitech launches Mac versions of MX Keys, K380 keyboards & MX Master 3 mouse

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Logitech has unveiled a number of Mac-oriented peripherals, with the MX Master 3 for Mac and MX Keys for Max accompanied by the K380 for Mac Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard.

Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac and MX Keys for Mac
Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac and MX Keys for Mac

The MX Keys and K380 keyboards, as well as the MX Master 3 mouse, have been out on the market for a while as general-purpose peripherals. In Logitech's new versions, the trio have been refined to work better within the Apple ecosystem by being given a number of tweaks and other changes specifically for macOS and iPadOS devices.

MX Keys for Mac

A wireless illuminated keyboard, the MX Keys offers a low-profile typing experience with keys shaped for your fingertips, as well as a body made from a single metal plate for rigidity. Connecting over Bluetooth, the keyboard has backlit keys that light up when a user moves their hands into position, with the lighting also adjusting to suit changing lighting conditions.

Logitech MX Keys for Mac
Logitech MX Keys for Mac

The Flow cross-computer control enables the keyboard to work with a Flow-enabled mouse, for multi-device computing. Functional across three devices, the keyboard can automatically switch from one device to another, depending on which screen the cursor has been moved to.

For the Mac version, Logitech has updated it with a Mac layout, with enhanced keys customizable for any action of the user's choosing. The variant also gains USB-C to USB-C recharging, with a full charge lasting up to 10 days, or up to five months with backlighting off.

It is also provided in a Space Gray finish, to match the appearance of other Apple hardware, and has firmware optimized for Mac usage, as well as compatibility with iPadOS devices.

The MX Keys for Mac, as with the other products, will ship in July 2020 in the US, Canada, and other select countries, with global availability in August. Logitech is pricing the MX Keys for Mac at $99.99.

MX Master 3 for Mac

Declared the most advanced Master Series mouse by the company, the MX Master 3 offers a comfortable shape to hold, a new optimized hand fit, and a redesigned thumb area with back and forward buttons, gesture buttons, and a thumbwheel. The MagSpeed Wheel is able to quietly move from ratchet and hyper-fast modes using controlled elctromagnetic pulses, letting it scroll to up to 1,000 lines per second.

Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac
Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac

Underneath the MX Master 3 is a Darkfield 4,000 DPI sensor, which is capable of tracking on practically any surface, including glass. The mouse is also faster than standard mice, and is 5-times more precise. App-specific profiles and button customizations are available to use, while its support for Flow allows it to be used on multiple devices simultaneously, as well as controlling which device a Flow-enabled keyboard types through.

The Mac variant of the mouse uses the gesture button to emulate the three-finger gestures from the Magic Trackpad. USB-C to USB-C Quick Charging is available, allowing for a full day of work from three minutes of charge, three hours of use from one minute of charging, or 70 days of use on a full charge.

Like the MX Keys, it is offered in a Space Gray finish, and is compatible with both macOS and iPadOS. It will go on sale in July and August, depending on the market, priced at $99.99.

K380 for Mac Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard

Like the original, the Logitech K380 is a Bluetooth keyboard that can switch between multiple devices using its three Easy-Switch keys, allowing it to work with a MacBook, iPad, and iPhone in the same environment. Using a minimalist keyboard layout for a small footprint, the keyboard boasts a light weight of 423 grams, a Bluetooth wireless range of up to 30 feet, and a two-year battery life with an automated sleep mode.

Logitech K380 for Mac Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard
Logitech K380 for Mac Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard

For this model, the keyboard gains dedicated Mac keys on the F and A rows, enabling it to be used for a large number of shortcuts. Logitech is also offering the keyboard in new Rose and Off-White color options. Available again in July or August depending on the territory, it will cost $39.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    66Days66Days Posts: 1member

'New' Mac Optimized Version:

1594130649313png

'Old' PC/Mac Version:

1594130827154png

Proximity sensor backlight demo.

edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    No ‘emoji’ key on the keyboard? Flop.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    NotMuch-You?NotMuch-You? Posts: 18unconfirmed, member
    Still uses a USB-A dongle.  Fail.  Yeah - you THINK you won't need the dongle, just use Bluetooth, right?  Well, sometimes, you need the dongle, and I would prefer the dongle be USB-C.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Still uses a USB-A dongle.  Fail.  Yeah - you THINK you won't need the dongle, just use Bluetooth, right?  Well, sometimes, you need the dongle, and I would prefer the dongle be USB-C.
    Theoretically possible, I suppose. However, I have been using wireless mice for over 15 years (my first was the then-brilliant and diminutive IOGEAR GME225BW6) and never once have I needed any sort of dongle, nor would I ever consider buying a device that required one.
    bageljoeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member

No ‘emoji’ key on the keyboard? Flop.
    Not from my perspective. Control-Command-Space is not a difficult combo to press, and I'd prefer my keyboard not be cluttered with extra keys (or with extra FN-key combinations) that duplicate functionality that already exists.

For me the reason I think it might flop is the "up to" ten day battery life. Backlighting would be nice, but not if that's why the battery life is sacrificed. I have the Apple Magic Keyboard (with numeric keys) and even with daily use I don't think I charge it more than once every six weeks.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Definitely going to give the K380 a try. The battery life on the Logitech keyboards I have (K400+ (x3), K600 TV) is phenomenal. My first gen Apple Bluetooth keyboard is good but chews through batteries like crazy. Logitech hardware has generally been very good (still have a working C7 mouse) but I avoid their software at all costs. As far as USB-A wireless dongles, I have no problem since everything I use these keyboards with has a USB-A port or Bluetooth. Anything new enough to have USB-C should probably support Bluetooth.

Hey, there's always adapters ... and who doesn't like adapters? I have an old Northgate 102 mechanical keyboard (with function keys on the left) and PS2 interface trackball connected to a Raspberry Pi using a series of adapters, going from the old DIN keyboard connector to a DIN-to-PS2 adapter and then through a PS2-to-USB-A adapter. Both the keyboard and mouse work great and I can also use the Northgate keyboard as a radiation shield or bludgeoning weapon in case of a nuclear attack and/or a zombie apocalypse. I suppose I could add a USB-A to USB-C adapter to the end of the dongle chain, should the need arise. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    NotMuch-You?NotMuch-You? Posts: 18unconfirmed, member
    Theoretically possible, I suppose. However, I have been using wireless mice for over 15 years (my first was the then-brilliant and diminutive IOGEAR GME225BW6) and never once have I needed any sort of dongle, nor would I ever consider buying a device that required one.
    How do you initially configure a device that has no mouse (no internal trackpad), then?  You would normally use some sort of external mouse plugged in to the computer - which is where the dongle comes in damn handy.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    ...and unlike Apple's moronic design, you can actually plug in the mouse to charge it while you're using it - a truly revolutionary concept!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    MplsP said:
    ...and unlike Apple's moronic design, you can actually plug in the mouse to charge it while you're using it - a truly revolutionary concept!
    Yeah, but it's not so easy to use left-handed. Swings, roundabouts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    How do you initially configure a device that has no mouse (no internal trackpad), then?  You would normally use some sort of external mouse plugged in to the computer - which is where the dongle comes in damn handy.
    Macs seem able to use their BT keyboards & mice without issue, even on alternative boot-menus and the like. Their alternative to PC BIOS just works better and gets it.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

MplsP said:
    Still remains a non-issue IRL. I'm using one right now...a full charge lasts a month, and it pushes a notification when it's near the end. Just plug it in when done for the day. If for some reason this is too difficult and it dies, you plug it in for 2 mins for another day of use. Do you pee? Do you make coffee? Do you talk to a colleague? Any of these tasks can be done while it quick charges, problem solved. 

It's not a big deal. At all. Only to the anal-retentive type, but they tend to not actually use the gear they're critical of and are just in some sort of weird holy war based on ideals rather than pragmatic reality.
    edited July 2020 fastasleepbageljoeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18

MplsP said:
    Still remains a non-issue IRL. I'm using one right now...a full charge lasts a month, and it pushes a notification when it's near the end. Just plug it in when done for the day. If for some reason this is too difficult and it dies, you plug it in for 2 mins for another day of use. Do you pee? Do you make coffee? Do you talk to a colleague? Any of these tasks can be done while it quick charges, problem solved. 

It's not a big deal. At all. Only to the anal-retentive type, but they tend to not actually use the gear they're critical of and are just in some sort of weird holy war based on ideals rather than pragmatic reality.
    Absolutely remains an issue - I have an Apple [not so] Magic Mouse with an aging battery. I routinely sit down at the computer to find it dead because it has died since the last time I used it. The batteries cannot be replaced either (another bad design decision.) 

I like how you try to justify Apple's idiotic design decision with excuses that amount to 'yeah, you have to interrupt your work, but it's really a small interruption so it's ok.' Please explain why my work should be interrupted at all just for aesthetics.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    The Apple mouse is an issue because it is an offensive design issue. Form over function. Apple should be better than that.
    MplsP
  • Reply 14 of 18
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    MplsP said:

MplsP said:

Absolutely remains an issue - I have an Apple [not so] Magic Mouse with an aging battery. I routinely sit down at the computer to find it dead because it has died since the last time I used it. The batteries cannot be replaced either (another bad design decision.) 

I like how you try to justify Apple's idiotic design decision with excuses that amount to 'yeah, you have to interrupt your work, but it's really a small interruption so it's ok.' Please explain why my work should be interrupted at all just for aesthetics.
    Give it a rest.  Takes 60 seconds to add 4 hours of charge.   

And the battery can in fact be replaced. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

MplsP said:
    Still remains a non-issue IRL. I'm using one right now...a full charge lasts a month, and it pushes a notification when it's near the end. Just plug it in when done for the day. If for some reason this is too difficult and it dies, you plug it in for 2 mins for another day of use. 
    "Still remains a non-issue" ... proceeds to describe how it's an issue.
    MplsP
  • Reply 16 of 18
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

Did you even bother to read the article?

The variant also gains USB-C to USB-C recharging, with a full charge lasting up to 10 days, or up to five months with backlighting off.

randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    flydog said:

Did you even bother to read the article?

The variant also gains USB-C to USB-C recharging, with a full charge lasting up to 10 days, or up to five months with backlighting off.

@Flydog, the dongle has nothing to do with charging over USB-C.

@NotMuch-You?, for those of us who dock our Macs at a workstation, USB-A is the preferred way because most port replicators are abundant with USB-A ports. We like the idea that anyone in the house can set their Mac (or modern PC) down at the dock and plugin and instantly have their KB/Mouse connected. I prefer this over BT. The Logitech Unifying Receiver is also more reliable than BT in my experience.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    flydog said:
    MplsP said:

MplsP said:

Give it a rest.  Takes 60 seconds to add 4 hours of charge.   

And the battery can in fact be replaced. 
    - a new mouse gains 4 hours in 60 seconds. Not mine
    - from ifixit: “ The Lightning port and battery can be replaced (as a single component), independent of the logic board—if you can get the device open.” “ After lots of heat and half a dozen prying tools wedged under the casing, the mouse is partially released from the gluey mess beneath.” you can technically get inside, but doing so without destroying the mouse is extremely difficult. 
    - if there were a legitimate reason for this I would be more willing to accept it, but there’s not. There is NO reason they couldn’t have put the lightning port at the front of the mouse.