'iPhone 12' packaging render points to lack of EarPods, AC adapter

Posted:
in iPhone
A render of what is claimed to be the box insert for the "iPhone 12" shows a notable lack of space for a charger or EarPods.

A render of the box insert for the 'iPhone 12' [Ran Avni]
A render of the box insert for the 'iPhone 12' [Ran Avni]

Rumors and speculation surrounding the 2020 generation of iPhones has, in recent weeks, covered items that may or may not be included alongside the smartphones. Claims have been made about Apple dropping EarPods and power adapters for the next set of releases, effectively providing the new iPhone owner with just the device and a few peripheral items.

In a rendered image provided to AppleInsider by Ran Avni and claimed to have been acquired from a "reliable source," the box insert that could be used for the "iPhone 12" suggests there will be a lack of major elements. Resting just below the iPhone itself, the insert usually holds a number of important elements and has cavities to match the items, but the version shown offers little capacity for items in general.

Two cavities are shown, consisting of a shallow square element and a circular section, with the former likely to be used for any documentation or stickers Apple issues, while the latter may hold the usual Lightning cable. Neither of the sections are deep enough to hold substantial electronics, like a charger or earphones.

While the move to remove the charger and EarPods from the package will help reduce the overall cost of the purchase to customers, as well as saving Apple money in the process, it could also make the overall packaging for the iPhone smaller.

The removal of EarPods was predicted by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in May to help boost sales of AirPods, possibly dovetailing with some form of promotion. As for the charger, users will be expected to use their existing collection of USB power accessories, though they may also move to purchase a new 20-watt USB-C charger that is reportedly close to shipping.

Despite the rumors, it remains to be seen whether Apple will make such a major change to how it packages its products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    You’ll face lawsuits if you don’t include the charger. User must be able to use the phone out of the box.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    fallenjt said:
    You’ll face lawsuits if you don’t include the charger. User must be able to use the phone out of the box.

I would tend to agree, but in the past few months, I have purchased a Kindle Paperwhite reader, JBL Bluetooth speakers and a new pair of AirPods. None of them came with chargers, just the USB cables. Not saying Apple should remove the charger, but I doubt that there would be any legal ramifications since USB ports are ubiquitous these days.
    ronnmwhitejony0
  • Reply 3 of 23
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Notice how the the iPhone cradle has a rounded edges. I thought the glass covering the next gen iPhone should be flat?
    mknelsonjony0
  • Reply 4 of 23
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I think it's more interesting how people literally can't think "outside of the [iPhone] box".

If Apple are going to provide a range of charging options and cables, then it makes total sense to remove the charger from the standard packaging. It's not a baseless idea: two of the EU's concerns about Apple's use of lightning have been charger waste and the need to purchase secondary cables to use other charging options. Apple can work to resolve these concerns by letting the user choose their cable and charging solution. That could include USB-A or USB-C based chargers/charging cables, as well as wireless charging options.

WRT the moulding shown, it shows a connected square and circular area which could also accomodate a wireless charging solution. Noting that the square inlay has Apple's rounded corners which are typical for their products. Also of interest is that the moulding would imply that the phone's edges aren't hard, but still utilising the rounded glass approach.
    tallgrasstechieronnbadmonkjony0
  • Reply 5 of 23
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    designr said:
    I suspect that people are getting this completely wrong and it's quite amazing too.

Here's what this is likely to be:

1. Select your phone
    2. Select your power adapter/charging device, where none is an option
    3. Select your listening device, where none is a option

In other words, they are likely unbundling and giving people options, including none (if they already have these items).

This is not lawsuit-worthy and should not be surprising or controversial.

I completely agree with you. But if they’re going to give options for chargers and headphones, why not go all in and give us options for the cord as well? I’ve recently purchased 2 new lightning cords, 1 from Amazon Basics and 1 from Anker, and while Anker’s was the better of the 2, both were a million times better than what Apple provides. Those go right in the bottom drawer with the 5w and the EarPods at my house. 
    ronncaladanian
  • Reply 6 of 23
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    fallenjt said:
    Would you care to quote relevant law and case experience. Exactly what would be the claims in the lawsuit? Do you have some specifics as to what law says you must sell a phone with charger? I only ask so as to confirm you made it up baed on your incredible personal outrage.

Even if you are right about your claimed usability requirement, you needn't worry. Every Apple phone comes with a partial charge and is quite usable right "out of the box."

Seriously dude, do you have any idea how ridiculous what you said is? It goes beyond laughable to absurd. But I bet you might have give some troll lawyers an idea.
    tallgrasstechieStrangeDaysronnjony0
  • Reply 7 of 23

designr said:
    I suspect that people are getting this completely wrong and it's quite amazing too.

1. Select your phone

In other words, they are likely unbundling and giving people options, including none (if they already have these items).

While I think your idea is a good one, it would only come about as ordering accessories. It will not be included in the same box. Same as any other Apple device where you get a page that basically says "how these great things to go along with your new device?" They will keep selling all those things and offering them to you when you buy a new phone, but they won't be packaged together.

• Reply 8 of 23
    The feigned outrage from those of you offended by the idea they would not include a bad charger and flimsy cable with your purchase is quite humorous.

Most of us don't want these items from Apple. How many of you used them for your last device except as an afterthought? How many of you think Apple branded chargers and cables are good quality and a great buy?  ... Exactly.

Most likely, this is a way to hold the line on pricing. Get rid of the stuff no one except your grandmother really wants and not have to raise the price at all or very much. Do you think the new tech - 5G chips, triple cameras, advanced face ID components, etc. - don't cost more than what's in your iPhone 11 or X? Personally, I prefer they leave them out and try to hold the line on pricing as much as possible.
    StrangeDaysronnmwhitefastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    fallenjt said:
    o rly? can you cite that, um, law, please?
    tallgrasstechieronnfastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 23

Japhey said:
    designr said:

1. Select your phone

I completely agree with you. But if they’re going to give options for chargers and headphones, why not go all in and give us options for the cord as well? I’ve recently purchased 2 new lightning cords, 1 from Amazon Basics and 1 from Anker, and while Anker’s was the better of the 2, both were a million times better than what Apple provides. Those go right in the bottom drawer with the 5w and the EarPods at my house. 
    That's the opposite of my experience -- my Amazon Basics cable fell apart quickly (plug came apart in pieces), and my multiple Ankers just stop working for no apparent reason, despite all their Kevlar bend-protection nonsense. Thus the Apple OEM cables are my most prized.
    Beatsjony0caladanian
  • Reply 11 of 23

tommikele said:
    The feigned outrage from those of you offended by the idea they would not include a bad charger and flimsy cable with your purchase is quite humorous.

Most of us don't want these items from Apple. How many of you used them for your last device except as an afterthought? How many of you think Apple branded chargers and cables are good quality and a great buy?  ... Exactly.

Most likely, this is a way to hold the line on pricing. Get rid of the stuff no one except your grandmother really wants and not have to raise the price at all or very much. Do you think the new tech - 5G chips, triple cameras, advanced face ID components, etc. - don't cost more than what's in your iPhone 11 or X? Personally, I prefer they leave them out and try to hold the line on pricing as much as possible.
    Agreed. The multiple charges and even Lightning cables now just stay in the box or go in a drawer that is ever increasingly full with e-junk like this. It's not needed. It's a waste of resources for everyone. The handwringing and gnashing of teeth is just neurotic silliness.
    ronnbeowulfschmidtjony0
  • Reply 12 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    tommikele said:

designr said:

1. Select your phone

While I think your idea is a good one, it would only come about as ordering accessories. It will not be included in the same box. Same as any other Apple device where you get a page that basically says "how these great things to go along with your new device?" They will keep selling all those things and offering them to you when you buy a new phone, but they won't be packaged together.

Dude.... not everyone buys iPhones online. There's stores also like AT&T, Best Buy and um... Apple Stores. What about non-Apple online stores?

designr said:

1. Select your phone

What a fu**ing mess. Imagine the craziness store employees will have to go through? Will the charger be in the box? Separate? How would this affect the environment with separate boxes? Stores will have to stock pallets of free accessories?

Imagine the store employee telling you "Sorry we're out of iPhone boxes with no chargers but with Earpods."

Only solution could be all physical store iPhones have EarPods and chargers removed. Will customers have to redeem them online? What a clusterf**k for Apple. Now imagine the DELAYS that would cause. Now imagine the OUTRAGE when millions of customers can't get their chargers for another 3 months.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    designr said:
    Beats said:
    tommikele said:

designr said:

1. Select your phone

Dude.... not everyone buys iPhones online. There's stores also like AT&T, Best Buy and um... Apple Stores. What about non-Apple online stores?

designr said:

1. Select your phone

What a fu**ing mess. Imagine the craziness store employees will have to go through? Will the charger be in the box? Separate? How would this affect the environment with separate boxes? Stores will have to stock pallets of free accessories?

Imagine the store employee telling you "Sorry we're out of iPhone boxes with no chargers but with Earpods."

Only solution could be all physical store iPhones have EarPods and chargers removed. Will customers have to redeem them online? What a clusterf**k for Apple. Now imagine the DELAYS that would cause. Now imagine the OUTRAGE when millions of customers can't get their chargers for another 3 months.
    I'm assuming these items would not be in the box. They would simply not become accessories you can buy...probably with multiple options...including none. I doubt this would be the mess you predict. I don't know what your experience with product development, packaging, manufacturing and distribution logistics is. Maybe you have a lot. But Apple's pretty good at what they do. Not perfect of course, but pretty good. In fact I find it pretty amazing that they seem to be able to manage multiple colors of the same product without hearing about major inventory problems. This suggests they kinda know how to do this stuff.

But, who knows, maybe you are right. Maybe, if Apple does this is will be a mess.

We'll see.

I understand that, maybe the extras would be available for cheap? That would ease a ton of problems.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Beats said:
    tommikele said:

designr said:

1. Select your phone

designr said:

1. Select your phone

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

This is some serious slippery slope fanfic going on here.
    crowleyronn
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I dunno. 

That tray has a circular bit, which looks like a container for a coiled lightning cable, and a square bit with rounded edges, which looks the same shape as the box that contains the EarPods, but a little more shallow perhaps?

My tuppence worth is that they’re shipping with a coiled lightning cable and EarPods wrapped around a clever bit of cardboard (no plastic case). 

ronnjony0
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    I would have thought they be moving away from a box to a book like case or card board wallet with all the printing restricted to a cover like the sleave of a hardback.
    I mean if they really want full chain recycling and recovery retaining the 4 piece box seems a poor choice even if thinner.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    fallenjt said:
    Point to the law that states that. You can't because it doesn't exist.
    If you lived in a cave for the last 15 years and don't have a charger or for 24 years and don't have a computer with a USB connection, you just option a charger on your sale.

I'm sure everyone already has more chargers than devices to charge.
    ronndesignr
  • Reply 18 of 23
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    Beats said:
    designr said:

1. Select your phone

Not really.. If Apple makes box as opt in or opt out. Meaning all options in or out.
    And all options out then box is thinner so sale person make no mistake while busy time.

All bundled options cost around $67 total.(earpod - $29.00 both cable and 5w charger - $19.00 each.)
    I would take opt out if Apple discount price $45-50.

edited July 2020 ronn
  • Reply 19 of 23
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    Beats said:
    tommikele said:

designr said:

1. Select your phone

designr said:

1. Select your phone

Not really.. In Apple store and any retail store has carry only all bundled model. Not include option is for only on-line order.
    Or make package all in or all out. No other selection. Simply you want to opt in or opt out.
    If only 2 packages per model then there is no headache for retail sales person. Of course make box smaller(or thinner) for no options package for no mistake.

I wonder if Apple unbundled earpod and cable(charger) then how much they will discount it.
    Currently Apple site has earpod is $29.00, lighting cable is $19.00 and 5w charger is $19.00 in US.
    So if Apple mark up is 50% so they will return consumer for 50% price discount?
    I wonder the consumer willing to take $50 discount not to take all.(earpod, cable, charger)
    If Apple gives me $50 discount to opt out then I will take it.
    ronn
  • Reply 20 of 23
    designr said:

1. Select your phone

I'm going to bet however, that the base price of the phones sans ear buds and power adapter will be the same or greater than last year's models that included those items.  There won't be a discount for choosing not to get them.  Adding them will then bring the price up still further.

And if the charging cable is USB-C, it's a moot point anyway. Every one I know who has an iPhone already "complains" (a very mild form) of having too many wall warts around. :smile: 

I would absolutely love to be completely wrong about this, and will gladly take that L.
    edited July 2020