Samsung expected to unveil 'Galaxy Fold 2,' Note 20 at virtual Galaxy Unpacked on Aug. 5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Samsung on Tuesday invited press to a virtual Galaxy Unpacked event scheduled for Aug. 5, where the company is expected to unveil new hardware like a second-generation Galaxy Fold and updated Note 20 phablet.

Galaxy Unpacked

Like many large gatherings, including Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, Unpacked is heading online in 2020 as the coronavirus crisis continues unabated in the U.S.

A next-generation foldable device is predicted to make an appearance at the event in August. What, exactly, Samsung plans to unveil remains unclear, though the company's bi-fold style Galaxy Fold handset is ripe for an upgrade. Rumors for a supposed "Galaxy Fold 2" or "Galaxy Z Fold 2" include a transition from plastic to glass screen material, enlarged internal display and potential S Pen support, reports CNET.

An updated Fold would join the clamshell-style Galaxy Z Flip, which saw release in February.

In addition to a folding flagship, Samsung is widely expected to debut a new Galaxy Note model at this year's event. Typical product enhancements like an upgraded camera and improvements to proprietary technology are anticipated for reveal. Previous leaks suggest a triple-camera array with "Space Zoom" feature, a new color option -- also alluded to in an official promo video for the event -- and updated S Pen functionality.

Samsung's Global Newsroom website will host the Unpacked livestream starting on Aug. 5 at 10 a.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Does it come with the fire extinguisher?
    pulseimagesbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    They’re still trying to sell that crap?
    lkrupppulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Who's excited for galaxy fold part 2....... anyone?
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    How many fucking people bought the fold 1? Haven't seen a SINGLE one in the wild. And I see thousands of phones per day. 
    williamlondonpujones1StrangeDaysviclauyycmike1pulseimagesjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Does it come with the fire extinguisher?

Samsungs building literally caught fire.

edited July 2020 StrangeDaysviclauyycpulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,683member
    slurpy said:
    How many fucking people bought the fold 1? Haven't seen a SINGLE one in the wild. And I see thousands of phones per day. 
    But none of them are folding phones which answers your own question. 

Obviously, enough people bought them to warrant a second version and the Flip, with lots more on the way.

And very little of the handwringing on folding phones in general seems to have been based on real issues.

https://www.gsmarena.com/i_used_the_huawei_mate_xs_and_now_i_dont_want_to_go_back_to_a_normal_smartphone-news-44096.php
    edited July 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 12
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    avon b7 said:
    But obviously anything with a "huawei" label is not acceptable in the USA so Samsung sees an opportunity to make hay until after November. /s /s /s

For the majority of us this sort of device isn't needed (hey didn't they say that about the iPhone???). I can't see a particular use case that would make these the must have item apart from the 'bling of being seen with one'
    For many so called influencers, having one of these on show could make their sphere of influence even greater but for most of us it is a clear case of 'Meh!'

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    avon b7 said:
    slurpy said:

Obviously, enough people bought them to warrant a second version and the Flip, with lots more on the way.

And very little of the handwringing on folding phones in general seems to have been based on real issues.
    Is it obvious? I have a hard time believe the product itself was profitable and is not some sort of R&D project. Can you share your numbers? Oh that's right, you don't have any. 

As for real world issues with folding phones, there were plenty. Just read the reviews. Daringfireball had links to two for the Razr:

"MOTOROLA RAZR REVIEW: FOLDING FLIP PHONE FLOPS"
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/13/21135809/motorola-razr-review-foldable-flip-phone-verizon-price-camera-display-battery

"The Motorola Razr nightmare continues. A week after we purchased and reviewed the foldable phone, the plastic OLED display on our $1,500 device is now peeling apart… at the fold. We always try our best to not be alarmist, but when a giant horizontal air bubble appears literally out of nowhere and starts separating the top lamination and the display panel, we have to wonder why anyone would be optimistic about foldable phones."

https://www.inputmag.com/tech/our-motorola-razrs-plastic-display-is-already-breaking-peeling-at-the-fold

...hardly empty handwringing -- the things fell apart.
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    slurpy said:
    What are the odds of you seeing in the wild the single one that they sold?  With their blockbuster success selling the first unit, they're on to number two.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,683member
    avon b7 said:
    slurpy said:

Is it obvious? I have a hard time believe the product itself was profitable and is not some sort of R&D project. Can you share your numbers? Oh that's right, you don't have any. 

As for real world issues with folding phones, there were plenty. Just read the reviews. Daringfireball had links to two for the Razr:

"MOTOROLA RAZR REVIEW: FOLDING FLIP PHONE FLOPS"
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/13/21135809/motorola-razr-review-foldable-flip-phone-verizon-price-camera-display-battery

"The Motorola Razr nightmare continues. A week after we purchased and reviewed the foldable phone, the plastic OLED display on our $1,500 device is now peeling apart… at the fold. We always try our best to not be alarmist, but when a giant horizontal air bubble appears literally out of nowhere and starts separating the top lamination and the display panel, we have to wonder why anyone would be optimistic about foldable phones."

https://www.inputmag.com/tech/our-motorola-razrs-plastic-display-is-already-breaking-peeling-at-the-fold

...hardly empty handwringing -- the things fell apart.
    Can't see the relation between being profitable and selling enough to warrant another version. 

These are not mainstream phones but must exist for mainstream folding phones to become available. 

There was little to no handwringing over the Razr because everyone was obsessed with the impending failure of the Huawei and Samsung offerings. That hasn't happened up to this point and the review I pointed to clears a lot of that up.

I have numbers. Huawei stated that up to COVID-19 striking, it was shipping 100,000 units a month in China alone.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2020/01/huawei-mate-x-sales-figures-out.html

It has since made the phone available in other markets and stated this product must exist in order to lower prices in the future

On top of that the next gen version is also coming along with a rumoured clamshell option. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    williamh said:
    slurpy said:
    What are the odds of you seeing in the wild the single one that they sold?  With their blockbuster success selling the first unit, they're on to number two.
    Odd, I thought everything Samsung makes is "number two".
    /s
    spock1234jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    You have to laugh when Samsung Mobile product announcement timing is clearly built around expected dates of iPhone launches: main lines six months away so as to not directly compete, experimental innovations a few weeks before to trail its colours.
    watto_cobra