Apple updates iWork for Mac & iOS with video embeds, Author book support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple has updated its macOS productivity suite to version 10.1, bringing new features like support for video embeds in Numbers and iBooks Author books in Pages.

Apple updates Pages, Numbers, and Keynotes to version 10.1

Pages now gains support for video embeds from major video hosting sites YouTube and Vimeo, right within a Pages document. The Pages update reads:
  • Play YouTube and Vimeo videos right in your documents.
  • Easily add captions and titles to images, videos, shapes, and other objects.
  • Create more flexible formulas using new functions.
  • Import an iBooks Author book to work on it in Pages.
Apple recently discontinued iBooks Author platform on July 1, removing it from the App Store.

Numbers, Apple's spreadsheet creation tool, also features the ability to play videos in spreadsheets and gains a few new functions, too. The update reads:
  • Play YouTube and Vimeo videos right in your spreadsheets.
  • New functions, including XLOOKUP, XMATCH, and REGEX, let you match patterns, manipulate text, and create flexible formulas.
Apple was careful to warn that some regions may not be able to support Vimeo and YouTube embeds in Pages and Numbers.

Keynotes, which allows users to make slideshow presentations, got a new update, too. One update seems to be geared toward making presentations easier to present over a video conference, likely as a response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The update is as follows:
  • Use the new "Play Slideshow in Window" option to have access to other applications while presenting locally or via video conferencing.
  • Movies can now play through slide transitions. Add the same movie to multiple slides to play from one slide to the next.
  • Use the Align to Path option to have objects stay pointed in the correct direction while following a motion path.
The iWork suite is free to anyone on macOS and can be downloaded from the Mac App Store. iPhone and iPad owners can get versions of Pages, Keynotes, and Numbers for their mobile devices through the iOS App Store as well.

Update: Apple on Tuesday issued identical updates for iOS versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    The “Play Slideshow in Window“ and movies playing across slides are major improvements in Keynote (not “Keynotes”) that will make life much easier for videoconferencing presenters like me, with the latter feature being especially useful for things like memorial presentations and adding captions to videos rather than having to talk over them.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    So Pages and Numbers can have YouTube videos embedded, but Keynote can’t? This seems very backwards to me and is one of the few distinguishing features that PowerPoint has over Keynote.
    dewme
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So Pages and Numbers can have YouTube videos embedded, but Keynote can’t? This seems very backwards to me and is one of the few distinguishing features that PowerPoint has over Keynote.
    That is weird. 

My guess is that Apple Legal reckons a presentation is a “broadcast”, so technically speaking you need permission from the content owner to embed their videos. 
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    Rayz2016 said:
    That is weird. 

My guess is that Apple Legal reckons a presentation is a “broadcast”, so technically speaking you need permission from the content owner to embed their videos. 
    But as Rayz2016 points out, Pages and Numbers can embed YouTube. I too also had to double read to make sure I wasn't missing this feature was lacking from Keynote. I wonder what the hangup is and if it will ever come to Keynote. This would be a big feature.
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Does this new version write files that are incompatible with older versions? I’m still on High Sierra on my Macs. I tested files saved from the most recent prior version, opening them successfully on my one or two years older version on High Sierra without problem.

I guess I could ask my girlfriend to install the updates on her new Mac and test it myself but if anyone knows anything about how often the file format breaks with regard to backward app compatibility, I’d love to know whatever you do.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    JinTech said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    That is weird. 

But as Rayz2016 points out, Pages and Numbers can embed YouTube. I too also had to double read to make sure I wasn't missing this feature was lacking from Keynote. I wonder what the hangup is and if it will ever come to Keynote. This would be a big feature.
    Yep, that’s the difference: presentations are seen by people in a group. I think Apple might feel that warrants permission from the content owner. 

Can’t really of any other reason why they would add it to Pages and Numbers and leave it out of Keynote where it would probably have the most value. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Does an embedded video require an Internet connection? Does it require the source video to still be available on YouTube (or Vimeo, or whatever)?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:

Yep, that’s the difference: presentations are seen by people in a group. I think Apple might feel that warrants permission from the content owner. 

Can’t really of any other reason why they would add it to Pages and Numbers and leave it out of Keynote where it would probably have the most value. 

My team uses PowerPoint to run technical deep dive sessions that also contain marketing content from our company's YouTube channel, so permission isn't an issue. Because PowerPoint is a festering pile of crap, I have transitioned our content to Keynote where I have more easily cleaned up the graphics and the animation which would have taken hours longer with PowerPoint. However, because Keynote doesn't support external media content, I had to pull down the videos to my Mac and embed them directly into the presentations which makes a 9mb PowerPoint deck into a 190mb Keynote file. It works, but embedding the YouTube video as an external link would be more convenient.
    Does an embedded video require an Internet connection? Does it require the source video to still be available on YouTube (or Vimeo, or whatever)?
    Yes, absolutely it requires an Internet connection. With PowerPoint, the file plays as if you've embedded an html document into your slide including the YouTube controls. You definitely need an Internet connection, and if the file is pulled off YouTube, it won't be playable anymore within your deck.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Rayz2016 said:

My team uses PowerPoint to run technical deep dive sessions that also contain marketing content from our company's YouTube channel, so permission isn't an issue. Because PowerPoint is a festering pile of crap, I have transitioned our content to Keynote where I have more easily cleaned up the graphics and the animation which would have taken hours longer with PowerPoint. However, because Keynote doesn't support external media content, I had to pull down the videos to my Mac and embed them directly into the presentations which makes a 9mb PowerPoint deck into a 190mb Keynote file. It works, but embedding the YouTube video as an external link would be more convenient.
    Yes, absolutely it requires an Internet connection. With PowerPoint, the file plays as if you've embedded an html document into your slide including the YouTube controls. You definitely need an Internet connection, and if the file is pulled off YouTube, it won't be playable anymore within your deck.
    Sounds like embedding to a linked video could be a real disaster for the user experience. Imagine the pre-roll ads polluting the interaction.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:

My team uses PowerPoint to run technical deep dive sessions that also contain marketing content from our company's YouTube channel, so permission isn't an issue
    Oh, thought of another possible reason: they ran out of time and just released without it. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

My team uses PowerPoint to run technical deep dive sessions that also contain marketing content from our company's YouTube channel, so permission isn't an issue
    Oh, thought of another possible reason: they ran out of time and just released without it. 
    I'm sure Pages, Keynote and Numbers share a lot of the same code. Couldn't have been that difficult to put into Keynote if it's in Numbers and Pages.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Sounds like embedding to a linked video could be a real disaster for the user experience. Imagine the pre-roll ads polluting the interaction.
    Definitely a legitimate concern. However, I believe YouTube must have paid accounts that allow videos to be played without advertising. We use other Google services such as Drive, Docs, and Sites, and I'm sure we must pay for our YouTube content hosting. As I am the only one in the organization not using PowerPoint and embedded YouTube videos, somebody would have run into the issue of preroll by now.

Would be an issue for some situations, but it hasn't been for us.

If I'm honest, despite the increase in file size, I don't mind embedding the actual content in my decks. This way I can present without worry of Internet flutter and presentation quality. But there are advantages to presenting hosted content as it can be updated remotely as needed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    JinTech said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

I'm sure Pages, Keynote and Numbers share a lot of the same code. Couldn't have been that difficult to put into Keynote if it's in Numbers and Pages.

Well, it's best not assume how easy or difficult it is to change code until you see it (learned from experience). And if it's the same team (also an assumption) that is working on all three apps, then they might not have had time to carry out the changes on all three.

Still, it does strike me as a really odd thing to leave out.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 14 of 15

Rayz2016 said:

Just tried it on Pages.

Yes, the ads and various bits of privacy warning come through with the video. Still a bit odd that they wouldn't include it with warnings when you add the URL to your presentation.

Mmmm.

Lots of sites have tutorials explaining how to download the video and embed it in a presentation. Might not be exactly what YouTube wants you do to, but surely that would make for a more reliable presentation.

I remember attending a presentation where someone had started a presentation with an embedded video (his own, oddly enough) which he was running from YouTube. Unfortunately, he hadn't asked the company to allow YouTube through its firewall.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Pages update is awesome. Quick and easy ebooks production with media support!