New Apple TV+ 'Greyhound' trailer focuses on high crew tension

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has released a second "Inside Look" trailer promoting the Apple TV movie "Greyhound," with the new video providing viewers with more of an idea of what it would have been like to be aboard the ships during the extremely dangerous mission.

Tom Hanks in 'Greyhound'
Tom Hanks in 'Greyhound'

Subtitled "Inside Look: High Stakes at Sea," the three-minute video expands on an earlier trailer by explaining the viewpoint of the ordeal from those at the center of "Greyhound." As suggested by the cast and crew in the video, the people involved would have been under immense pressure, with the grim possibility of death at any time.

"Just imagine any way a sheep would try to ecape a pack of wolves and you've got a ship trying to get away from the Nazi submarines," said Tom Hanks, who plays Captain Ernest Krause, the naval officer in charge of an international armada of ships delivering troops and supplies to allied forces during the Battle of the Atlantic.

"That was the game of The Battle of the Atlantic" Hanks continues. "The Nazis had submarines, U-boats, and their job was to sink any allied ship that was floating at sea."

The video also includes pieces from military advisor and retired captain Dale Dye, director Aaron Schneider, and co-star Rob Morgan. Much of the video covers the weight on Krause's shoulders, which Morgan explains was due to having "a lot of lives at his hands, and every decision he makes determines the outcome of the whole crew."

"Greyhound" was released to Apple TV on July 10, but endured a somewhat turbulent marketing campaign. In an early interview, Hanks expressed disappointment that the film was being shown on Apple TV+ instead of theaters, but later he clarified his comments to say he was "actually thrilled that Apple TV+ is making it possible for everyone to see it."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Some of the old school Hollywood crowd like Hanks and Spielberg still can't warp their heads around what's coming. The pandemic is simply accelerating the move away from big screen theater releases and towards at-home streaming.
    Arszy
  • Reply 2 of 10
    AlchemyAlchemy Posts: 15member
    Greyhound is a very good movie.  Very entertaining.
    ArszyBeats
  • Reply 3 of 10
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Greyhound is entertaining, with a sense of tension that keeps you engaged and along for the ride with some very good special effects that are mostly believable. However it is not even close to an ‘award worthy’ film as implied in a prior post - it’s a one character, one dimensional film with a ‘simple plot’ that leaves out key detail of the situation and fails to develop any character outside of the main one (and even that could have more depth) ... this missed opportunity to develop the story and characters, for some reason,  makes me wonder if this 90 minute film was rushed or lost large amounts of content in final editing. I’d still recommend giving it a look, but manage your expectations.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 102member
    As Fatman said, there is a complete lack of character development... and I'll go a step further and say that not even Tom Hanks' character was developed. Simply put, the ships and waves are more interesting than the people in this movie.

If you were hoping for something along the line of Saving Private Ryan, you're going to be massively disappointed. This 80-minute movie is more like a really long trailer... full of action and great visuals, but no sign of a story.

The movie is entertaining, but only visually (the sound effects and soundtrack are pretty good, too).

I'm glad I didn't waste money seeing this in a theater, because it isn't worth the price of the ticket, let alone popcorn.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,312member
    Fatman said:
    Greyhound is entertaining, with a sense of tension that keeps you engaged and along for the ride with some very good special effects that are mostly believable. However it is not even close to an ‘award worthy’ film as implied in a prior post - it’s a one character, one dimensional film with a ‘simple plot’ that leaves out key detail of the situation and fails to develop any character outside of the main one (and even that could have more depth) ... this missed opportunity to develop the story and characters, for some reason,  makes me wonder if this 90 minute film was rushed or lost large amounts of content in final editing. I’d still recommend giving it a look, but manage your expectations.

You are correct that it's all about expectations. In terms of a movie that paints a coherent narrative for a singular series of events that take place in a compressed time period, I think they've done a pretty good job of framing it up. Real world military events obviously involve much longer periods of time, a huge supporting cast, and wild swings between extreme boredom and extreme anxiety and terror. There's no way they could have captured everything about the Battle of the Atlantic or life aboard a warship during this time period in a 90 minute movie. There are many books that do a good job of that. However, the movie captured a tiny little snippet of what life was like for some of the sailors and leaders who were involved in some of similar but non-fictional scenarios.

For me, having spent several years in the Navy, the most eloquent scenes in the movie were not the CGI or battle scenes at all, but rather the scenes in which the crew members stared at their captain, waiting for his decisions, and reacting to his guidance and direction in times of crisis. Tom Hanks did a stellar job of portraying the kind of authentic leadership that has always been required from those in command of naval units across all time and to this very day. No bravado, no narcissism, and no Hollywood Action Hero stereotypical portrayal of fake leadership. I think Tom Hank's nailed his part of the movie, at least within the scope of what he was allowed to do in the larger, enclosing story that the whole movie paints. But yeah, I can see where some of the subtleties could easily go unappreciated by some movie viewers because the points were either not obvious, not fully developed, or not given enough screen time over the action scenes and enclosing story line. 

razorpitfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    Greyhound" was released to Apple TV on July 10, but endured a somewhat turbulent marketing campaign. In an early interview, Hanks expressed disappointment that the film was being shown on Apple TV+ instead of theaters, but later he clarified his comments to say he was "actually thrilled that Apple TV+ is making it possible for everyone to see it."

I just assumed it was deliberate marketing.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 511member
    I watched it last night with my wife and eldest son.  As others have pointed out, the movie fundamentally had no character development. My wife couldn't figure out why they bothered with the 2 minutes of Elisabeth Shue at all - and then added the gratuitous flashbacks, earning a 'we have no reason to even care about this person, why are they flashing back?'.
    My son commented about 30 minutes in that it was far less tense than Das Boot - which obviously did much more with characters, had the time to really show both the boredom and moments or terror, and just the general horror of war.  I'd rather invest 3 1/2 hours into Das Boot or 3 hours into Saving Private Ryan than watch this one again in any case.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,239member
    dewme said:
    For me, having spent several years in the Navy, the most eloquent scenes in the movie were not the CGI or battle scenes at all, but rather the scenes in which the crew members stared at their captain, waiting for his decisions, and reacting to his guidance and direction in times of crisis. Tom Hanks did a stellar job of portraying the kind of authentic leadership that has always been required from those in command of naval units across all time and to this very day. No bravado, no narcissism, and no Hollywood Action Hero stereotypical portrayal of fake leadership. I think Tom Hank's nailed his part of the movie, at least within the scope of what he was allowed to do in the larger, enclosing story that the whole movie paints. But yeah, I can see where some of the subtleties could easily go unappreciated by some movie viewers because the points were either not obvious, not fully developed, or not given enough screen time over the action scenes and enclosing story line. 

I was never in the navy, but I agree completely. This is a movie for adults, especially adults who understand what real-world leadership looks like. It's not just in the military where members of a team or crew look up to level-headed leaders to guide them through challenging circumstances (though certainly a war context takes everything up several notches). Anybody who has worked through challenging circumstances with a capable and compassionate leader can appreciate this film. And for those of us who lack military experience, it is especially compelling to see leadership displayed in such a high stakes, life and death context. 

I really loved this movie. Exciting, compelling, real. I'm probably going to watch it two or three more times so that I can better appreciate everything I missed the first time around. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,239member

lkrupp said:
    Some of the old school Hollywood crowd like Hanks and Spielberg still can't warp their heads around what's coming. The pandemic is simply accelerating the move away from big screen theater releases and towards at-home streaming.
    I loved watching this movie, but it clearly would have been a more immersive experience in a theater. 

• Reply 10 of 10
    Greyhound looks great. Will it still look great streamed over my slow ISP? Be a good little streaming company, Apple, and let us download movies and TV shows ahead of time so we can enjoy them at full resolution and without freezes while it caches.