Review: VOCOlinc VS1 is a highly-affordable HomeKit contact sensor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
VOCOlinc continues its trend of releasing affordable HomeKit solutions that improve the smart home with the VS1, a new contact sensor which is an essential component of any smart home.

VOCOlinc VS1 mounted on a window
VOCOlinc VS1 mounted on a window

When asked to think of exciting or fun smart home accessories, you're likely to conjure images of smart lights in various colors, speakers to fill your home, or a wall panel where you can see your entire home at a glance. What you likely won't think of is a basic contact sensor.

The box of the VOCOlinc VS1
The box for a pair of VOCOlinc VS1 contact sensors

We won't pretend or try to sell you on the VOCOlinc VS1 Smart Contact Sensor as being fun or exciting, but something as basic as this is crucial for making your home truly smart, rather than just connected. It can also help your house be more secure, aside from automating various scenes.

What we will say about the VS1 right out of the gate, is that it is -- thus far -- the most cost-efficient contact sensor for HomeKit we've stumbled across. Others from all the big names in HomeKit carry higher, at times much higher, price tags.

For a pack of two tags, at the time we've written this review, they are $37 on Amazon but drop down to $34 when a $3 coupon is clipped. The only other one comparable in price is from Aqara but it requires the Aqara hub whereas VOCOlinc is purely Bluetooth.

The VS1 Smart Contact Sensors

So what do you get for your $34? In the box, you get two sets of contact sensors. Each has a primary portion that houses the battery and the Bluetooth chip while the other portion holds the magnet.

Back of the VOCOlinc VS1 contract sensor
Back of the VOCOlinc VS1 contact sensor

There is also replacement adhesive for one of the magnets and four adhesives for the larger part of the contact sensor. Finally, there is a set of CR2023 coin cell batteries that need to be installed. With a fresh battery, users can expect roughly six months of normal use, with the long battery life attributed to a reliance on Bluetooth 5 Low Energy.

Thin design for the VOCOlinc VS1
Thin design for the VOCOlinc VS1

Once more compared to other sensors on the market, the VOCOlinc VS1 is quite thin, with it designed to be very shallow as to fit in more locations, particularly the magnetic portion. It is also reversible, with the magnet able to align with both the left and right side of the main portion, which is very unlike other sensors. This makes it much easier to install as you don't have to worry about which way to orientate anything.

In a unique choice, there is a circular light on the VS1 that is quite bright. Others, like the Eve Door and Window Sensor, have a status light that flashes whenever the contact sensor is opened or closed, but it is subtle. It is behind the plastic and is just a soft white.

With the VS1, the light is vivid and bright, for better or for worse. We can see that being useful in some situations but maybe a bit bright in others.

The status light is bright on the VOCOlinc VS1
The status light is bright on the VOOClinc VS1

That light encompasses a button on the VS1 which is used to factory reset the device, should you ever have the need.

One thing we dislike is the location of the HomeKit pairing code, right on the front of the device. This is a tricky problem for VOCOlinc because you want the code to be easily accessible to be scanned, but on a device so thin, it almost only fits on the front or back.

If it were on the back, it would be inaccessible when mounted, leaving only the front as the area where it can be placed. It just sticks out like a sore thumb as it stands.

The last thing we had an issue with is that you have to remove the adhesive to replace the battery. That's why VOCOlinc includes multiple replacement adhesives for the main portion compared to the magnetic piece.

Eve gets around this by allowing it to slide off while still attached to the door, but those are much larger than the VS1.

What can it do?

With something as simple as a contact sensor there are endless possibilities. It just depends on what you are looking for them to do and how well you can think outside of the box.

The most simple and commonplace automation is to get a notification from HomeKit whenever your door or window is opened while you are away. You can also trigger your lights to come on whenever you open your front door, or perhaps you could turn off your AC when the windows are opened.

VOCOlinc VS1 settings in the Home app (left), the VS1 in the VOCOlinc app (center), and different options while onboarding (right)
VOCOlinc VS1 settings in the Home app (left), the VS1 in the VOCOlinc app (center), and different options while onboarding (right)

You don't have to put the sensor on a door or a window. Perhaps in your bar, you could get an alert when someone opens the liquor cabinet, or turn on a warning light to red when your child opens up a pantry with cleaning supplies. You could even connect it to your blinds to turn on the lights when you close the blinds within 30 minutes of sundown.

If you don't have a HomeKit garage door, a contact sensor can let you know if it is open or closed and when it is controlled. The same goes for drawers, folding closet doors, or anything else that opens and closes.

All of this can be set up from within the Home app as soon as the VS1 is paired. Ours paired instantly once we scanned the HomeKit pairing code.

Should you buy the VOCOlinc VS1 Smart Contact Sensor?

VOCOlinc VS1 contact sensor
VOCOlinc VS1 contact sensor

Whether you are just starting your HomeKit smart home or you already have an established one, a contact sensor is an easy way to make your home more secure as well as smarter.

Between the low cost, reliable connectivity, and slim design, the VOCOlinc VS1 is our current go-to recommendation for HomeKit contact sensors. With its price where it is, we recommend picking up a few of them. You just have to get creative on how you use them.

Pros
  • Very responsive

• LED notifications

• Slim design

• Works from either side

• Cheapest around

• Replaceable battery

• No hub necessary
Cons
  • Still more expensive than a contact sensor needs to be

• LED ring could be too bright

• Large footprint

Rating: 4 out of 5

Where to buy

Grab a two-pack of the VOCOlinc VS1 HomeKit contact sensors on Amazon for $37 before clipping the $3 coupon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Chinese manufacturer? No thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Except it’s HomeKit and Bluetooth. You don’t need the manufacturer at all and there is no way for it to share any data and everything it does is encrypted end stored locally in your home. If this was an Alexa device, possibly be worried. But when used with HomeKit, you’re safe. 
    F_Kent_DXedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    So is iPhone and every other smart phone, dude. 
    GeorgeBMactokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Not for much longer.... India, U.S. and others.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    This is an absolutely horrible product. They are bluetooth only! Which you casually mention once or twice and as if that's a feature. These are absolutely useless unless you have an AppleTV set up within 10 feet of the damn things. Or perhaps a dedicated iPad or HomePod that's not moving anywhere and is placed within 10 feet from the things. Other than that, USELESS. I have 3 Apple TVs in my house BTW, and one of them is in just the next room from the front door. But does this connect to the Apple TV? Nope, too far. Literally useless. YOU EVEN SAY REQUIRES NO HUB. Explain to me what use you get out of it without a homekit hub sir????
    edited July 2020 GeorgeBMactokyojimu
  • Reply 6 of 16
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    This is an absolutely horrible product. They are bluetooth only! Which you casually mention once or twice and as if that's a feature. These are absolutely useless unless you have an AppleTV set up within 10 feet of the damn things. Or perhaps a dedicated iPad or HomePod that's not moving anywhere and is placed within 10 feet from the things. Other than that, USELESS. I have 3 Apple TVs in my house BTW, and one of them is in just the next room from the front door. But does this connect to the Apple TV? Nope, too far. Literally useless. YOU EVEN SAY REQUIRES NO HUB. Explain to me what use you get out of it without a homekit hub sir????
    It's really hard nowadays to genuinely tell when someone's a troll, stupid, or simply feeling too entitled. What is it in your case? Is it that you feel that even the cheapest products' requirements shouldn't apply to you; and you somehow should be able to buy products with less features and still get the features of the more expensive products?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Then why are you even on an Apple website if you only use American made phones and stuff?
    Oh!  I get it!   You're a brain washed troll.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    macmarcus said:

HaHaHaHaHa!

That'll end when Trump moves from the WhiteHouse to the BigHouse.
  • Reply 9 of 16

They meant, I think, that it does not require a 3rd party hub -- which for me is a security issue on any home automation product other than lighting because I only trust Apple with information on what is going on in my home.

But I agree that the Bluetooth connectivity needs to be explained:   How would this connect to a Homekit hub in another room? Or connect to anything other than a nearby iPhone - which would make it essentially useless?   My Homekt garage door opener barely connects to my WiFi and Bluetooth would be completely out of the question.

It sounds like there is more to this story.   A further explanation would be appreciated.
    applebynature
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

You just hang on and wait for the device that's not made in China.
    tokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    macmarcus said:

HaHaHaHaHa!

That'll end when Trump moves from the WhiteHouse to the BigHouse.
    Well, India is still probably a good idea to diversify manufacturing locales.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Yeah, still very much disagree with you here. Of course, they are Bluetooth only. There is no such thing as a Wi-Fi-connected HomeKit contact sensor. They are all like that. The only ones that are not require you to a hub to make them work -- i.e. Aqara. You also get MUCH more than 10 feet of range. I personally don't have a Home Hub within 25-30 feet of them and they work just fine.

It will always depend on the house and for you, sounds like these won't work. Doesn't make them a horrible product because your house layout isn't suited for this, you just need to look for a different product.

If I had a non-replaceable deadbolt on my door I couldn't use the Kwikset Premis door lock. I'd have to use like the Level Lock or August that allowed me to keep my same deadbolt and key while adding smart functionality. Just because I can't use the Premis doesn't mean it is a horrible product, it just means it isn't going to work for me personally.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    mike1 said:
    Well, India is still probably a good idea to diversify manufacturing locales.
    People I know who have tried manufacturing in India say it is near impossible to get decent quality control there. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Yeah, still very much disagree with you here. Of course, they are Bluetooth only. There is no such thing as a Wi-Fi-connected HomeKit contact sensor. They are all like that. The only ones that are not require you to a hub to make them work -- i.e. Aqara. You also get MUCH more than 10 feet of range. I personally don't have a Home Hub within 25-30 feet of them and they work just fine.

It will always depend on the house and for you, sounds like these won't work. Doesn't make them a horrible product because your house layout isn't suited for this, you just need to look for a different product.

If I had a non-replaceable deadbolt on my door I couldn't use the Kwikset Premis door lock. I'd have to use like the Level Lock or August that allowed me to keep my same deadbolt and key while adding smart functionality. Just because I can't use the Premis doesn't mean it is a horrible product, it just means it isn't going to work for me personally.
    You're right in that these can work for some people. My categorization as a "horrible" product was over reacting. My issue is that it isn't mentioned in this article that you will need a HomeKit Hub pretty much in the same room as any sensor you want to use. So would this work on my bedroom door? Probably so, But I have no use for it there. I put one on my front door and my back door and neither sensor apparently could connect to any of my Apple TVs. 
    I guess these are simply a hit or miss product as to wether they will work in your house or not and you may have no idea until you purchase them.
    My main issue is none of this is explained in the article. 
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 15 of 16
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member

They meant, I think, that it does not require a 3rd party hub -- which for me is a security issue on any home automation product other than lighting because I only trust Apple with information on what is going on in my home.

But I agree that the Bluetooth connectivity needs to be explained:   How would this connect to a Homekit hub in another room? Or connect to anything other than a nearby iPhone - which would make it essentially useless?   My Homekt garage door opener barely connects to my WiFi and Bluetooth would be completely out of the question.

It sounds like there is more to this story.   A further explanation would be appreciated.
    WiFi isn't a practical option on a tiny, battery-operated device, unless you want to recharge or replace the batteries on a frequent basis. That's probably not what anyone would want for contact sensors. Many Eve devices operate on bluetooth, including their contact sensor. They even sell a bluetooth extender to help with devices that are further away from HomeKit hubs. If you want the things, you have to deal with the current technology trade-offs for energy consumption and energy storage. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member

You're right in that these can work for some people. My categorization as a "horrible" product was over reacting. My issue is that it isn't mentioned in this article that you will need a HomeKit Hub pretty much in the same room as any sensor you want to use. So would this work on my bedroom door? Probably so, But I have no use for it there. I put one on my front door and my back door and neither sensor apparently could connect to any of my Apple TVs. 
    I guess these are simply a hit or miss product as to wether they will work in your house or not and you may have no idea until you purchase them.
    My main issue is none of this is explained in the article. 
    Although Bluetooth does have inherent range limitations, you're exaggerating them quite a bit. Bluetooth 5 specs indicate a range of ~120 meters in a typical environment, and theoretically up to 400 meters in an unobstructed line-of-sight. So this device will probably do reasonably well in a typical household. If you live in a castle with stone walls, not so much, but you're probably having trouble with your WiFi there, too. 

P.S. HomePod and AppleTV4K both have Bluetooth 5 radios.
    edited July 2020 svanstromwatto_cobra