Apple upping MacBook Pro orders as working from home demand continues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Component suppliers are reporting that Apple is increasing its orders for MacBook Pro parts in a supply chain pressured by demand from more people working at home.

Apple's current 13-inch MacBook Pro
Apple's current 13-inch MacBook Pro

While the coronavirus appears to have badly affected iPhone sales, yet greatly bolstered iPad ones, a new claim says that the MacBook Pro is also profiting. Supply chain sources are saying that what was expected to be a short term rise in demand as people began working from home, has instead continued.

According to Digitimes, Apple is planning to increase its new MacBook Pro orders toward the end of the third quarter of 2020. Unnamed sources in what the publication describes as the "upstream supply chain," say that overall there will be 20% more MacBook Pro shipments in Q3 compared to Q2.

The upstream supply chain is a generic term cover all suppliers who produce components that go into a product that is then delivered to a company like Apple. An increase in orders for one supplier is not enough to extrapolate Apple's plans, as it may equally be reducing orders from another.

However, coming from sources across the chain gives this more credence. Digitimes has a strong track record in supply chain information, although a much weaker one in determining what that data implies for future products.

MacBook Pro models being sold in late Q3 2020 will continue to be the current Intel-based ones. According to regularly accurate analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, a new 13-inch MacBook Pro based on Apple Silicon will ship in the fourth quarter of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That makes sense....   And, the trend will not only continue but will likely grow substantially come September as Corona Virus cases skyrocket in the U.S.

To date, the only actions the U.S. has taken to control the virus have been stay-at-home, social distancing (which was meant to save the healthcare system rather than American lives) and, more recently, erratic, voluntary mask guidelines.  But, even though the plague was for awhile reduced, it was never brought under control as other countries did -- and now it is either running out of control or headed in that direction.

So, knowing that the virus is alive and well and likely to get naturally worse as fall and winter approach as most viruses do, what is America's response?   Open up everything!

We are likely to see a massive resurgence of infections which will drive a return both to work-from-home and cyberschooling -- even though those things never actually went away.  Instead, most schools are planning a mix of in class and cyber learning.  Plus, kids may be asked to bring their own computers to school to limit sharing.

This fall and winter could be another banner period for tech companies.  The winner will be the NASDAQ
    hammeroftruth
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    I'd say that a refresh with 10th gen cpus and a normal keyboard also made a bit of a difference.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    That makes sense....   And, the trend will not only continue but will likely grow substantially come September as Corona Virus cases skyrocket in the U.S.

To date, the only actions the U.S. has taken to control the virus have been stay-at-home, social distancing (which was meant to save the healthcare system rather than American lives) and, more recently, erratic, voluntary mask guidelines.  But, even though the plague was for awhile reduced, it was never brought under control as other countries did -- and now it is either running out of control or headed in that direction.

So, knowing that the virus is alive and well and likely to get naturally worse as fall and winter approach as most viruses do, what is America's response?   Open up everything!

We are likely to see a massive resurgence of infections which will drive a return both to work-from-home and cyberschooling -- even though those things never actually went away.  Instead, most schools are planning a mix of in class and cyber learning.  Plus, kids may be asked to bring their own computers to school to limit sharing.

This fall and winter could be another banner period for tech companies.  The winner will be the NASDAQ
    Don’t worry death rates and hospitalization rates have been dropping like a rock with all of this recent testing, Once the general public catches on that people are more likely to die in a car crash on their way to get tested than from COVID-19 itself, the panic from the media will finally fade. Life will return to normal. Something is majorly wrong with our media and reporting when most people have to take a test to see if they even had the disease and yet here we are.

On the Mac side, ironically enough I just about stopped using my 2016 work Mac Book Pro altogether. I bought a new Mac mini this past winter and have been using that. When I need to go mobile I’ve been using my iPad Pro. Nice combination for the work I do.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Surprisingly PC mag reported that HP sold the most laptops this year, twice as much as Dell and Lenovo.
    i wish i could find that article or something supporting this, but when i searched "what company sold the most laptops in 2020"
    the results were "what laptop you should buy" instead of facts.

i think most users will wait until the new silicon macs arrive later this year or 2021.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    razorpit said:
    Once the general public catches on that people are more likely to die in a car crash on their way to get tested than from COVID-19 itself, the panic from the media will finally fade. Life will return to normal. Something is majorly wrong with our media and reporting when most people have to take a test to see if they even had the disease and yet here we are.
    I say thank you to "the media and reporting" for providing facts.

USA Covid deaths as of yesterday (12 July) are 134,572 and rising. Annual auto accident deaths run about 34,000 (although with the reduced driving this year due to lockdowns they may end up lower).
    edited July 2020 [Deleted User]GeorgeBMacfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    razorpit said:

Don’t worry death rates and hospitalization rates have been dropping like a rock with all of this recent testing, Once the general public catches on that people are more likely to die in a car crash on their way to get tested than from COVID-19 itself, the panic from the media will finally fade. Life will return to normal. Something is majorly wrong with our media and reporting when most people have to take a test to see if they even had the disease and yet here we are.

On the Mac side, ironically enough I just about stopped using my 2016 work Mac Book Pro altogether. I bought a new Mac mini this past winter and have been using that. When I need to go mobile I’ve been using my iPad Pro. Nice combination for the work I do.
    How people remain this willfully ignorant is astounding. Ironically, the crowd that is insisting there is nothing wrong is the group that is diving the pandemic and actually delaying the return to normal. 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    neilm said:
    razorpit said:
    Once the general public catches on that people are more likely to die in a car crash on their way to get tested than from COVID-19 itself, the panic from the media will finally fade. Life will return to normal. Something is majorly wrong with our media and reporting when most people have to take a test to see if they even had the disease and yet here we are.

USA Covid deaths as of yesterday (12 July) are 134,572 and rising. Annual auto accident deaths run about 34,000 (although with the reduced driving this year due to lockdowns they may end up lower).
    razorpit said:

How people remain this willfully ignorant is astounding. Ironically, the crowd that is insisting there is nothing wrong is the group that is diving the pandemic and actually delaying the return to normal. 
    You guys believe stories like this;
    https://freebeacon.com/media/nbc-contributor-reveals-he-never-had-coronavirus-after-network-documented-his-recovery/

don't bother to question inflated numbers;

fail to see/question the hypocrisy from our 'leaders';

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-mayor-apologizes-after-violating-stay-home-order-go-nail-n1192631

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-mexico/articles/2020-05-27/state-auditor-looking-into-new-mexicos-16m-mask-purchase
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/minneapolis-mayor-says-facemasks-given-to-rioters-as-other-residents-told-to-avoid-mass-gatherings
    https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/2020/06/why-did-pa-gov-tom-wolf-join-a-protest-with-thousands-of-people-breaking-the-rules-in-a-yellow-phase-county.html
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/06/1000-health-experts-sign-letter-support-black-lives-matter-mob-conservative-protesters-racist-must-stay-home-due-covid-19/
    https://www.lacortenews.com/n/watch-illinois-gov-who-forced-state-lockdown-busted-flying-his-wife-and-kids-to-florida
    https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2020/04/29/barack-obama-goes-golfing-during-coronavirus-quarantine-n386764
    (and too many others to list)

yet you think people who ask you to stop and look at things outside of the media bubble are the problem.  :s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    razorpit said:
    neilm said:
    razorpit said:

razorpit said:

You guys believe stories like this;
    https://freebeacon.com/media/nbc-contributor-reveals-he-never-had-coronavirus-after-network-documented-his-recovery/

don't bother to question inflated numbers;

fail to see/question the hypocrisy from our 'leaders';

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-mayor-apologizes-after-violating-stay-home-order-go-nail-n1192631

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-mexico/articles/2020-05-27/state-auditor-looking-into-new-mexicos-16m-mask-purchase
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/minneapolis-mayor-says-facemasks-given-to-rioters-as-other-residents-told-to-avoid-mass-gatherings
    https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/2020/06/why-did-pa-gov-tom-wolf-join-a-protest-with-thousands-of-people-breaking-the-rules-in-a-yellow-phase-county.html
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/06/1000-health-experts-sign-letter-support-black-lives-matter-mob-conservative-protesters-racist-must-stay-home-due-covid-19/
    https://www.lacortenews.com/n/watch-illinois-gov-who-forced-state-lockdown-busted-flying-his-wife-and-kids-to-florida
    https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2020/04/29/barack-obama-goes-golfing-during-coronavirus-quarantine-n386764
    (and too many others to list)

yet you think people who ask you to stop and look at things outside of the media bubble are the problem.  :s
    Your posts are all pointing to people being hypocrites, this is an ad hominem attack as it focuses on attacking individuals issues with being consistent rather than the actual data on the pandemic. So, thank you for extended logical fallacy and for illustrating the problem. It’s unfortunate some people have chosen to politicize this rather than take it serious. And again, this is why the U.S. is trailing the world in addresses the pandemic and why we are not returning to normalcy. The grand irony is all being done in the name of the economy with not awareness to the fact that it is what is keeping the economy from recovering. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    razorpit said: Once the general public catches on that people are more likely to die in a car crash on their way to get tested than from COVID-19 itself, the panic from the media will finally fade.
    Simple question: when you catch a cold or flu virus, do you typically wonder how much blood clotting will occur or how much damage to internal organs will occur? If not, you might want to reconsider the idea that there's nothing out of the ordinary about being infected with the virus that causes Covid-19. 
    GeorgeBMacfastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    This is a good opportunity for Apple to put together a coherent story around what bundle of Apple and partner products and services make a big difference on improving worker productivity when working from home (WFH). Apple's Mac computers are obviously central to the solution, but other products like AirPods, connectivity products (like mesh WiFi and secure comms), iCloud file sharing, HomePod (?), distance learning programs, PodCasts, and some sort of "WFH Virtual Genius Bar" for supporting remote workers with setting up, optimizing, and troubleshooting issues related to working from home would play well during the current pandemic and beyond. It's very likely that many temporary WFH scenarios will be permanent, so Apple could help serve that market better in a systematic way rather than in piecemeal fashion. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 13
    razorpit said:

Where the hell did you hear that nonsense?
    ...  Oh yeh,   Orange Idiot worried about the economy so he can get re-elected & stay out of jail.

The truth is:  the virus can be controlled and the country reopened safely -- if you do the right things.   Unfortunately we haven't and we aren't.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    razorpit said:

None of this is relevant to the fact that you're making a bullshit claim with the "more likely to die in a car crash" and "hospitalization rates dropping" nonsense. Hospitals are getting inundated right now in hotspots and it's only getting worse. There will be millions dead before this is over. MILLIONS. DEAD. Get that through your thick skull.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 13
    razorpit said:

None of this is relevant to the fact that you're making a bullshit claim with the "more likely to die in a car crash" and "hospitalization rates dropping" nonsense. Hospitals are getting inundated right now in hotspots and it's only getting worse. There will be millions dead before this is over. MILLIONS. DEAD. Get that through your thick skull.

Millions dead?   Maybe.   Right now it sits at well over 1/2 million.
    The problem here in the U.S. is we continue the false belief that this will all just go away -- which is just pure silliness.
    The next problem is that we here in the U.S. (and around the world) believe a vaccine will end it.   And that may be a false hope as well because current estimates are for a vaccine that is, at best, 70% effective.  But also knowing how many think this is all just a political hoax, and also how many will fear the shortcuts taken in testing the vaccine, it will not get an overwhelming response of takers....   And, even then, you face the problem of viral mutations -- which is one of the reasons the annual flu vaccine is not very effective.

All in all it boils down to one thing:   this virus isn't going away anytime soon.   So yes, that 1/2 million dead could easily turn into a million or more.

As I've said previously, we know how to control this virus and open safely because other countries have done so.   It's not the science or the technology that is lacking.  What is lacking here in the U.S. is the will. 

Added:  at this point we should be ramping up precautions getting ready for the long expected fall / winter surge, the confusion over flu or Corona that will happen, the reopening of schools and businesses that will surge the virus.   But instead, we are debating whether we should take any precautions at all...   It is a sad commentary on how far this nation has sunk.
    edited July 2020 stevenoz