EU announces new tax plan that clamps down on digital platforms

Posted:
in General Discussion
The European Union on Wednesday announced that it has adopted a series of new tax measures that put increased pressure on digital platforms like the App Store.

Credit: European Business Magazine
Credit: European Business Magazine

The EU says that new tax package focuses on "the twin pillars of fairness and simplicity." Notably, the announcement come shortly after Apple and Ireland won an appeal in a $14.4 billion back tax case.

The new tax package is aimed at supporting "economic recovery and long-term growth" by curbing tax abuse and anticompetitive behavior while increasing transparency, the EU said.

Documentation of the plan includes tax transparency regulations that will apply to digital platforms, such as the App Store and Google Play store.

"The proposal on administrative cooperation (DAC 7) extends EU tax transparency rules to digital platforms, so that those who make money through the sale of goods or services on platforms pay their fair share of tax too," the EU said in a statement. "This new proposal will ensure that Member States automatically exchange information on the revenues generated by sellers on online platforms. The proposal also strengthens and clarifies the rules in other areas in which Member States work together to fight tax abuse, for example through joint tax audits."

The plan also introduces new mechanisms for "an automatic exchange of information" between member states for digital platform revenues. That's meant to "help tax administrations verify that those who earn money through digital platforms pay the appropriate share of taxes."

According to Reuters, the plan also seeks to shore up defenses against "corporate tax regimes of member states that have broadly harmful effects," including those known for fostering tax evasion and avoidance.

Previous attempts to change EU tax rules have been overruled by the power of veto by member states. The EU is now looking to sidestep that, Reuters reported.

The European Commission is also continuing to push ahead with a plan to tax digital platforms in the region, something that could spur a trade war with the U.S. In June, talks between Europe and the U.S. broke down after officials from the latter country reportedly left the meeting. On Tuesday, the EU said it may delay digital tax proposals until later in 2020 to avoid a transatlantic trade war.

News of the tax plan also comes in the midst of increased antitrust scrutiny for Apple's App Store and digital services, both in Europe and elsewhere across the globe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Hmmm ... any EU digital powerhouses we could beat up on 🤔?

Well, there's Spotify ... always crabbing they're not getting everything for free, so I doubt there's many dollars to be extracted there. Any EU big social media platforms? Big tech companies? Surely the EU hasn't been asleep for the last decade.

Or maybe they were ... and that's what's got their tits in a wringer.

(Anyone notice how poorly AppleInsider handles Safari when trying to comment on the article page? It seems I always lose my entire post when I try to post from there.)
    flyingdppujones1JWSCjbdragonanantksundaramMacPro
  • Reply 2 of 11
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    It is shocking how little tech has come out of the EU.   Almost zero over the last 10 years.  Way too many bureaucrats foxed on tax grabs and not enough coders.    They work themselves into a box at every opportunity 

Any tax over reach is simply going to be met with tariffs form the US.   It 's a no win situation (again) 
    JWSCjbdragonanantksundaramMacProwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 11
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Previous attempts to change EU tax rules have been overruled by the power of veto by member states. The EU is now looking to sidestep that, Reuters reported.
    If central EU authorities continue down the path of seeking to go around member states because they don’t like the voting outcomes, they will further delegitimize the institution they seek to empower.
    jbdragonJFC_PAchasmMacProwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 11
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    WTF. The digital platforms would need to raise their prizes to compensate for the new tax. I don’t want to pay a higher price. I am paying already enough. 
    jbdragonMacProwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 11
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    red oak said:
    It is shocking how little tech has come out of the EU.   Almost zero over the last 10 years.  Way too many bureaucrats foxed on tax grabs and not enough coders.    They work themselves into a box at every opportunity 

Any tax over reach is simply going to be met with tariffs form the US.   It 's a no win situation (again) 
    Yes, to the casual observer it must seem shocking. But to those who have been paying attention it is no surprise how little innovation has come out of the EU over the years.

Stifling national and EU wide regulations do not reward risk taking. Cultural and social customs and conventions also discourage those who seek to upend existing market structures. The emphasis is to regulate and protect what exists today, which through regulation significantly hampers the ability of startups to disrupt existing markets and carve out new ones with innovative products or services.
    jbdragongeorgie01anantksundaramMacProwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    urahara said:
    WTF. The digital platforms would need to raise their prizes to compensate for the new tax. I don’t want to pay a higher price. I am paying already enough. 
    Aren't the app prices determined by the developer? Apple and Google simply get 30% of whatever the app sells for. Are you suggesting Apple and Google take 40% from those developers because those two would now be paying taxes to the country where the end-buyer was located?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Governments don’t have enough money, they need more. Their responsible usage of money, especially with no bloat or waste, has made their tax laws fair and necessary.

Much of the population, especially the younger generation, is wise enough to realise that money is just there. We don’t need to cater to those who take risks and create jobs and investments because those people are greedy. We need to fix their greed and we won’t need to worry about any loss of money due to de-incentivising them, because money is just there, and if they were good people they’d keep doing what they do anyway.  We need to create a civilisation where everyone who has money is lawfully forced to give their money to those who don’t have it, because money will always be just there
  • Reply 8 of 11
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Yet, the US will be blamed for starting a trade war...

Our economic competitors' mantra is basically: "If you can't innovate yourself, steal from or tax what the innovators do."
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 11
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    gatorguy said:
    urahara said:
    Aren't the app prices determined by the developer? Apple and Google simply get 30% of whatever the app sells for. Are you suggesting Apple and Google take 40% from those developers because those two would now be paying taxes to the country where the end-buyer was located?
    It wouldn’t be from the developer I’d think for fairness the fair purchase surcharge would match the relevant EU fairness tax, for fairness reasons. Collected as an individualized sales tax much like here in America where an online purchase gets the state of residence sales tax added on. The vendor is simply a conduit between the purchaser/taxpayer and the state (or in this case the EU). Live in a state with no sales tax and that same applies to online purchases, live in a high stakes tax place and that high tax is added on and charged to you. Amazon does that automatically. So does Apple for online hardware orders. (And, yes, ouch)

edited July 2020
  • Reply 10 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member

(Anyone notice how poorly AppleInsider handles Safari when trying to comment on the article page? It seems I always lose my entire post when I try to post from there.)
    AI is aware that posting comments from the article page doesn't work. I haven't tried every browser but it definitely doesn't work in Safari (latest version) or Edge for Mac (latest version). Until they fix that, use the "Read More on the Forums" button to post comments.
    MacPro
  • Reply 11 of 11
    georgie01 said:
    Governments don’t have enough money, they need more. Their responsible usage of money, especially with no bloat or waste, has made their tax laws fair and necessary.

Much of the population, especially the younger generation, is wise enough to realise that money is just there. We don’t need to cater to those who take risks and create jobs and investments because those people are greedy. We need to fix their greed and we won’t need to worry about any loss of money due to de-incentivising them, because money is just there, and if they were good people they’d keep doing what they do anyway.  We need to create a civilisation where everyone who has money is lawfully forced to give their money to those who don’t have it, because money will always be just there
    Wow ... don't even know what to make of that.

You're from the EU, right? Is this a typical attitude over there?

Sorta makes sense why it's so hard to think of an EU digital powerhouse. Money is just something you go out to the garden and pick off the vine when you're bored.