Apple's iOS 13.6 enables FaceTime in the United Arab Emirates

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
With its latest iOS 13.6 update, Apple appears to have quietly enabled FaceTime in the United Arab Emirates.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Previously, local UAE regulations completely blocked the use of FaceTime in the country. In 2018, however, Apple was said to be in talks with UAE government officials about lifting the years-long ban.

According to Twitter users in the UAE and Brazilian publication MacMagazine, the iOS 13.6 update on Wednesday appears to have enabled FaceTime support in the country for the first time.

iOS 13.6 is out and it's official... FACETIME IS AVAILABLE IN UAE. Now I can recieve my phone calls on all my devices !

-- Saif Alshehhi (@saif_a7med95)

It's worth noting that Apple didn't announce the introduction of UAE FaceTime support in iOS 13.6. There was no mention of it in Apple's iOS 13.6 release notes. Additionally, the company's support document has not yet been updated to reflect the change.

The long-standing ban was due to FaceTime's use of end-to-end encryption, stymieing UAE communications monitoring protocols that are designed to curb terrorism and dissent. Although Apple products sold within the country had the feature disabled in software, FaceTime would work normally if a device was brought in from elsewhere.

In September 2018, Saudi Arabia also lifted a ban on FaceTime with Apple's iOS 11.3 update.

Apple's iOS 13.6 also introduces a new Apple News+ audio component and support for CarKey, among other features.
steve_jobs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Burqua's not supported.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ziadjkziadjk Posts: 55member
    MacPro said:
    Burqua's not supported.
    Spelling error, improper use of an apostrophe, humour fell flat, and zero on geography skills.  

Anyway, article says United Arab Emirates, not Afghanistan..
    Type the word ‘Dubai’ into google, maybe you’ll learn something new.

CloudTalkin
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ziadjk said:
    MacPro said:
    Burqua's not supported.
    Spelling error, improper use of an apostrophe, humour fell flat, and zero on geography skills.  

Anyway, article says United Arab Emirates, not Afghanistan..
    Type the word ‘Dubai’ into google, maybe you’ll learn something new.

My bad, sorry for the grammar or lack thereof, hope your pedantic urges were satisfied, I was not fully awake. My point remains, women are not treated well anywhere under Sharia Law. Feel free to disagree. I suspect many women would not be allowed to FaceTime without a man's permission.
    watto_cobra