'Behind the Mac' videos show work process of James Blake, Tyler Mitchell

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is adding to its "Behind the Mac" ad campaign with two more videos, one continuing with James Blake making music at home accompanied by a second showing photographer Tyler Mitchell working on a portrait series.

On July 8, Apple released a video under its "Behind the Mac" series featuring James Blake working from his L.A. home studio via Logic Pro X on his MacBook Pro. The followup, published on Saturday, offers a longer look at Grammy Award winner's process at the keyboard and the Mac.

The video takes viewers throughout a 24-hour period with the musician, showing him creating a melody at the piano before looping and pitching it in Logic Pro X. Layers of instruments and vocals are added on the MacBook Pro, with the final track completed just after 1am.

The second video features Tyler Mitchell, a New York-based photographer best known for his Vogue cover photo of singer Beyonce. Shot in a similar way via remote cameras over 24 hours, Mitchell is seen searching magazines and documents for inspiration and to compile a mood board for a new portrait series.

Notes for the intended series are made on a MacBook, which is also used for selecting final images from a shoot and editing them within Photoshop. Again, Mitchell is shown working until very late at night to finish the portraits.

Debuting in 2018, "Behind the Mac" is a series that intends to showcase creative people using Macs to produce their work. For 2020, the series has so far included Grammy-nominated music producer Warren "Oak" Felder and the director of the Japanese anime film "Your Name," Makoto Shinkai.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    These new ads are among the worst Apple has ever aired! Given the plethora of award-winning ads produced for Apple over the years, I hope this doesn't reflect a new direction for them. Also given the superb production of WWDC 2020, I have to give them a pass on these 2 new ads. 
    mtlion2020
  • Reply 2 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    These new ads are among the worst Apple has ever aired! Given the plethora of award-winning ads produced for Apple over the years, I hope this doesn't reflect a new direction for them. Also given the superb production of WWDC 2020, I have to give them a pass on these 2 new ads. 

I agree!

But too:   Increasingly Apple seems to be pigeon holing the Mac line into use by professionals and power users and abandoning the little guy -- the normal guy -- the guy who gave them their start.   The Apple II was one of the first computers usable and functional for non-techy users.   And, the Macintosh carried that even further:  making a computer easy and friendly enough (and capable enough) that anybody could use it and benefit from it.

Conversely I do not know ANYBODY who has even the slightest desire to emulate what the guy in these videos is doing -- and certainly not to that scale.

Compare these adds to Apple's "What's a computer?" iPad ad (with a college student using her iPad throughout the day in a wide range of day-to-day activities):
    Could it be that Apple is positioning the Mac line toward specialized professional & power users while the iPad will be positioned to be the computer for "everyguy"?
    edited July 2020 mtlion2020
  • Reply 3 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I agree that these ads don’t have the “punch” that other Apple ads have. The subject matter is interesting, but the pace is just too slow. OK, these activities take time, but the ad doesn’t have to. Oh well. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    AGREED.... How Friggin’ LAME! TRULY AWFUL! They Could have gotten way better examples on The Logic Producer's Facebook Group!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

I agree!

But too:   Increasingly Apple seems to be pigeon holing the Mac line into use by professionals and power users and abandoning the little guy -- the normal guy -- the guy who gave them their start.   The Apple II was one of the first computers usable and functional for non-techy users.   And, the Macintosh carried that even further:  making a computer easy and friendly enough (and capable enough) that anybody could use it and benefit from it.

Conversely I do not know ANYBODY who has even the slightest desire to emulate what the guy in these videos is doing -- and certainly not to that scale.

Compare these adds to Apple's "What's a computer?" iPad ad (with a college student using her iPad throughout the day in a wide range of day-to-day activities):
    Could it be that Apple is positioning the Mac line toward specialized professional & power users while the iPad will be positioned to be the computer for "everyguy"?
    I do not know ANYBODY who wants to see what you do with your computer.
  • Reply 6 of 10

I agree!

Apple does, or should.   That's a major part of any marketing effort.   Which brings it back to the original question that I raised and you avoided:

"Increasingly Apple seems to be pigeon holing the Mac line into use by professionals and power users and abandoning the little guy -- the normal guy -- the guy who gave them their start.   The Apple II was one of the first computers usable and functional for non-techy users.   And, the Macintosh carried that even further:  making a computer easy and friendly enough (and capable enough) that anybody could use it and benefit from it.

Could it be that Apple is positioning the Mac line toward specialized professional & power users while the iPad will be positioned to be the computer for "everyguy"?"

• Reply 7 of 10

I agree!

Apple does, or should.   That's a major part of any marketing effort.   Which brings it back to the original question that I raised and you avoided:

"Increasingly Apple seems to be pigeon holing the Mac line into use by professionals and power users and abandoning the little guy -- the normal guy -- the guy who gave them their start.   The Apple II was one of the first computers usable and functional for non-techy users.   And, the Macintosh carried that even further:  making a computer easy and friendly enough (and capable enough) that anybody could use it and benefit from it.

Could it be that Apple is positioning the Mac line toward specialized professional & power users while the iPad will be positioned to be the computer for "everyguy"?"

You've completely misunderstood their marketing if this is your takeaway. The point is, and always has been, that *anyone* can create with a Mac — you don't need to be a "power user" to edit professional photos or make professional music or doing any number of other creative and interesting things, and that applies to everyone.

The joke I was making was that you're clearly not doing anything interesting with your Mac if you go so far as to claim you don't know anyone who wants to do the creative things they're showing off in these videos, and that you've completely missed the point.
  • Reply 8 of 10

I agree!

You've completely misunderstood their marketing if this is your takeaway. The point is, and always has been, that *anyone* can create with a Mac — you don't need to be a "power user" to edit professional photos or make professional music or doing any number of other creative and interesting things, and that applies to everyone.

The joke I was making was that you're clearly not doing anything interesting with your Mac if you go so far as to claim you don't know anyone who wants to do the creative things they're showing off in these videos, and that you've completely missed the point.

And you are missing my point:
    Yes, it is true that anyone can create with a Mac.   But my point, and the reality is, most people do not have the desire, energy, training or desire to do so.   So, by targeting that limited audience for the Mac, Apple is restricting its potential market for the Mac.   Which is what prompted my speculation that Apple may be setting the stage where Macs are targeted at professional and power user "creatives" and iPads (with external peripherals) are targeted at the more common user -- such as the girl in the "what's a computer?" ad uses hers for a variety of tasks throughout her day (from school to communicating with friends to social media and relaxation (but no high end pro or power user tasks).
  • Reply 9 of 10

I agree!

Yes, it is true that anyone can create with a Mac.   But my point, and the reality is, most people do not have the desire, energy, training or desire to do so.   So, by targeting that limited audience for the Mac, Apple is restricting its potential market for the Mac.   Which is what prompted my speculation that Apple may be setting the stage where Macs are targeted at professional and power user "creatives" and iPads (with external peripherals) are targeted at the more common user -- such as the girl in the "what's a computer?" ad uses hers for a variety of tasks throughout her day (from school to communicating with friends to social media and relaxation (but no high end pro or power user tasks).
    Welp, that's simply not true. They've shown every day mundane tasks being done on the Mac, and creative "power user" tasks on iPad in various ads too, as well as quite a few mundane tasks solved creatively on both platforms. These particular ads are meant to inspire people to create, whether you personally lack the desire or not is irrelevant — you're clearly not the target audience here. They're not "restricting is potential market for the Mac", that's absurd. 
  • Reply 10 of 10

I agree!

Welp, that's simply not true. They've shown every day mundane tasks being done on the Mac, and creative "power user" tasks on iPad in various ads too, as well as quite a few mundane tasks solved creatively on both platforms. These particular ads are meant to inspire people to create, whether you personally lack the desire or not is irrelevant — you're clearly not the target audience here. They're not "restricting is potential market for the Mac", that's absurd. 

Maybe.   We will see.  But, from the earliest days, Macs have been focused more at the high end 'creatives' while IBM machines were directed more at business users.    And, now that the iPad has broadened its repertoire to include an external keyboard and mouse, that may fill the niche for the everyday user.  We will see where they go with this.