2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Betting most of these will break and the media will not cover is. Yet if 14 out of 20 million iPhones bend the media and memes will come flooding in.

When/if Apple releases their bendable device(may not even be an iPhone) the usual iKnockoff morons will claim Apple copied this even though they've been working on it for years.

I don't get it.  What benefit does this provide me as a user?  

To make idiots think sammy invented this and didn't fail at copying Apple patents. Remember Galaxy Gear? *cringe*
    If most of them broke there would be nothing the media could do to not cover it. They would be all over it.

Folding phones are here, probably to stay, and doing very well considering the high pricing and the fact that they are still only second generation devices (COVID-19 issues aside). 

Overall durability is still up for evaluation but the crunch point has already passed us by. 

Few of the early adopters will keep the phones for longer than a generation as they typically have large amounts of disposable income and can afford to be on the latest versions.

Looks like the move from plastic to ultra thin glass from the likes of Schott is going to happen across the industry fairly soon and pricing is already projected to come soon too. 

https://www.schott.com/innovation/en/xensation-flex/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL-Es8rP6gIV1sDVCh03TgEhEAEYASAAEgLU9vD_BwE

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-foldable-phones-prices-1100023/

Your link to Huawei;

"So when will their prices come down? Will there ever be a time when foldable phones cost the same as regular phones? According to Huawei consumer group CEO Richard Yu, it’ll take about two years for that to happen. “The cost in that category is very high; we are losing money. The costs are so intensive, you cannot believe it, you cannot make a profit,” Yu was quoted as saying by Wired."

I'll wait, and it won't be Huawei, and it won't be Samsung...
    You are going out on a limb unnecessarily. It could easily be Huawei or Samsung.

However, it doesn't matter who it is. What matters is that there is enough demand and competition to make it happen. 

It looks like there is and tri-folding or 'scrolling' screens might even find a market. 
    I'm not out on a limb. I won't buy Huawei or Samsung to get a folding screen.

I wouldn't buy an iPhone or iPad with a folding screen either until they were well proven over a few iterations, and even then, they will be more fragile than current iPhones.

Folding screens are, for the near future, too complex mechanically, and too fragile for general use, but if early adopters want to buy them, have at it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,963member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Betting most of these will break and the media will not cover is. Yet if 14 out of 20 million iPhones bend the media and memes will come flooding in.

When/if Apple releases their bendable device(may not even be an iPhone) the usual iKnockoff morons will claim Apple copied this even though they've been working on it for years.

I don't get it.  What benefit does this provide me as a user?  

To make idiots think sammy invented this and didn't fail at copying Apple patents. Remember Galaxy Gear? *cringe*
    If most of them broke there would be nothing the media could do to not cover it. They would be all over it.

Folding phones are here, probably to stay, and doing very well considering the high pricing and the fact that they are still only second generation devices (COVID-19 issues aside). 

Overall durability is still up for evaluation but the crunch point has already passed us by. 

Few of the early adopters will keep the phones for longer than a generation as they typically have large amounts of disposable income and can afford to be on the latest versions.

Looks like the move from plastic to ultra thin glass from the likes of Schott is going to happen across the industry fairly soon and pricing is already projected to come soon too. 

https://www.schott.com/innovation/en/xensation-flex/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL-Es8rP6gIV1sDVCh03TgEhEAEYASAAEgLU9vD_BwE

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-foldable-phones-prices-1100023/

Your link to Huawei;

"So when will their prices come down? Will there ever be a time when foldable phones cost the same as regular phones? According to Huawei consumer group CEO Richard Yu, it’ll take about two years for that to happen. “The cost in that category is very high; we are losing money. The costs are so intensive, you cannot believe it, you cannot make a profit,” Yu was quoted as saying by Wired."

I'll wait, and it won't be Huawei, and it won't be Samsung...
    You are going out on a limb unnecessarily. It could easily be Huawei or Samsung.

However, it doesn't matter who it is. What matters is that there is enough demand and competition to make it happen. 

It looks like there is and tri-folding or 'scrolling' screens might even find a market. 
    I'm not out on a limb. I won't buy Huawei or Samsung to get a folding screen.

I wouldn't buy an iPhone or iPad with a folding screen either until they were well proven over a few iterations, and even then, they will be more fragile than current iPhones.

Folding screens are, for the near future, too complex mechanically, and too fragile for general use, but if early adopters want to buy them, have at it. 
    Fragility is relative. Are glass front and backed phones less fragile? 

Unless you need a rugged phone, most modern phones are adequate provided you give them appropriate care.

The question of durability of folding phones is still on the table but it seems it is so far so good.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    I can’t see the utility of a device like this, but who knows? I will admit that a $70 premium for a faster processor and 5G isn’t bad. Also, given that premium smartphones are selling. For $1000-1200 now, $1400 isn’t outrageous for a new technology like a folding screen. 

Like many have said before, whether a folding screen makes sense really depends on how it’s implemented, whether it is durable or not, and whether the software for it is well written. I suspect that many of the current sales are essentially early adapters and novelty purchases. Time will tell if it’s actually something people want or not. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    I still can’t see the use of it 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    BGnATCBGnATC Posts: 31member
    I miss the inexplicable satisfaction of snapping a phone closed in order to hang up on someone. 😁