Apple donating its cut from 'John Lewis - Good Trouble' documentary to charity

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2020
Apple is donating its share of earnings from documentary film "John Lewis: Good Trouble" to the National Civil Rights Museum and National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Representative John Lewis, featured on the Apple homepage

"Representative John Lewis's life and example compel each of us to continue the fight for racial equity and justice," said Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives. "This film celebrates his undeniable legacy, and we felt it fitting to support two cultural institutions that continue his mission of educating people everywhere about the ongoing quest for equal rights."

"John Lewis: Good Trouble," directed by Dawn Porter, documents US Representative John Lewis' 60 years of activism. Rep. Lewis is best known as a civil rights movement pioneer, one of the "Big Six" civil rights leaders alongside Martin Luther King Jr. One of the organizers behind the 1963 March on Washington, he spoke at the same rally as Dr King's historic "I Have a Dream" speech, and after helping found the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, he became its chairman from 1963 until 1966.

Organizing the march across the Pettus Bridge in Selma in 1965, which led to the event known as "Bloody Sunday," Lewis and others were beaten by state troopers, with the news images of the attacks credited with helping pass forward the 1965 Voting Rights Act. He was also asked by President Jimmy Carter in 1977 to lead the ACTION federal volunteer agency.

He was elected to congress in 1986, serving from January 1987 onwards as a representative for Georgia's 5th district. President Barack Obama presented him with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2011.

Lewis passed away following a battle with pancreatic cancer, which he revealed was at stage 4 in December 2019.

The National Civil Rights Museum is located in Memphis, Tennessee. The National Museum of African American History and Culture is in Washington, D.C.

"The life and legacy of John Lewis, a National Civil Rights Museum Freedom Award recipient, is celebrated throughout the museum," said Terri Lee Freeman, the National Civil Rights Museum's president. "This timely contribution will help expand our digital platforms, allowing us to reach many more students, parents, and educators globally, and to continue as a catalyst for positive social change, as Representative Lewis encouraged us all to be. We are grateful to Apple for this incredible gift honoring him."

"Representative John Lewis was a central leader in helping create the National Museum of African American History and Culture. Because of his pivotal role in American history, he understood the impact a history museum like ours could have on the world," the National Museum of African American History and Culture's interim director Spencer Crew said. "For many years, he was the angel who kept the dream of the museum alive, and he made sure we got the presidential and congressional support needed to open in 2016. As a civil rights leader, he had a vision of what was possible for the nation. He had a similar vision for the museum, which helped make it a reality. Apple's gift in his honor will help us continue to fulfill our mission."

Apple users in the US and Canada can rent "John Lewis: Good Trouble" in the Apple TV app on any of its platforms. It is also available on third-party televisions that support the Apple TV app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    The civil right museum in Memphis is a special place, a most deserving recipient of Apple’s support. I’d never cried at a museum until the day I visited the civil rights museum.

And if you want a pick-me-up after that heavy experience, I strongly recommend driving across town to the Stax Records museum, which documents a much more ‘civil’ relationship between Black & White people in the same time period. 
    ronnXedBeatsmobirdOferdewme
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    polymnia said:
    The civil right museum in Memphis is a special place, a most deserving recipient of Apple’s support. I’d never cried at a museum until the day I visited the civil rights museum.

And if you want a pick-me-up after that heavy experience, I strongly recommend driving across town to the Stax Records museum, which documents a much more ‘civil’ relationship between Black & White people in the same time period. 
    I had plans to visit both that are now on indefinite hold. Fantastic on Apple's part and I hope this inspires other tech companies.
    polymniaOferdewme
  • Reply 3 of 11
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Unprecedented times to bring equality to all - I'm fully on board and trying to do my (small) part. I'm not so certain the message of making noise, making trouble and getting in the way is the right one - we've had plenty of that with riots, demonstrations and marches - now it's time to stop yelling and start doing. Change can be brought about by being productive and by taking action. Forget the T-shirts, statues, marches and boycotts and funnel all that energy and time into creating a plan, electing leaders, making laws, changing policy. Come up with ideas on how to reform the police not defund them, changing schools, and bringing equality to the workplace. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Fatman said:
    Unprecedented times to bring equality to all - I'm fully on board and trying to do my (small) part. I'm not so certain the message of making noise, making trouble and getting in the way is the right one - we've had plenty of that with riots, demonstrations and marches - now it's time to stop yelling and start doing. Change can be brought about by being productive and by taking action. Forget the T-shirts, statues, marches and boycotts and funnel all that energy and time into creating a plan, electing leaders, making laws, changing policy. Come up with ideas on how to reform the police not defund them, changing schools, and bringing equality to the workplace. 

Americans have made me proud with their uprising against the tyranny of the government. Cops used to terrorize my neighborhood as a kid. Every sick crime you could think of was committed by police where I grew up.

But there has to be a better way and a way to hit them harder.
    ronnOfer
  • Reply 5 of 11
    There goes "greedy Apple" again sharing their wealth for a good cause.....
  • Reply 6 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Beats said:
    Fatman said:

Americans have made me proud with their uprising against the tyranny of the government. Cops used to terrorize my neighborhood as a kid. Every sick crime you could think of was committed by police where I grew up.

I wish I could say it's better, but now we have secret police hired by the current administration to attack people with impunity on US soil for peacefully protesting.
    ronnOferdewme
  • Reply 7 of 11
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Why not make it free so everyone can learn about who he was?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    fred1 said:
    Apple can donate their proceeds but they can't force the content owners to forgo theirs.
    ronn
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Xed said:
    Beats said:
    Fatman said:

I wish I could say it's better, but now we have secret police hired by the current administration to attack people with impunity on US soil for peacefully protesting.

Hey, I saw that! They were forcing people into vans and taking them somewhere.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Xed said:
    fred1 said:
    Apple can donate their proceeds but they can't force the content owners to forgo theirs.
    Apple can make it free by payIng the amount the content owners would earn to them. And the content owners can take less. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Xed said:
    Beats said:
    Fatman said:

Oh stop. You and I both know they aren’t going after peaceful protesters. They are going after the rioters.
    Beats said:
    Xed said:
    Beats said:
    Fatman said:

Hey, I saw that! They were forcing people into vans and taking them somewhere.
    It’s called jail. That’s where rioters belong. The video you are referring to is probably the one where they picked up their own informant.