CES 2021 cancelled over COVID-19 concerns, all-digital experience coming

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Amid the global Coronavirus outbreak, the Consumer Technology Association has announced that the annual CES will be moving to an all-digital format for the 2021 show.

CES moves online-only in 2021
CES moves online-only in 2021

In a move that will surprise few, the CTA has decided to cancel the in-person component for CES 2021. The CTA has delayed making a decision for the 2021 show as it tracked the spread of COVID-19 which has been particularly rough in the US.

"Amid the pandemic and growing global health concerns about the spread of COVID-19, it's just not possible to safely convene tens of thousands of people in Las Vegas in early January 2021 to meet and do business in person," said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO, CTA. "Technology helps us all work, learn and connect during the pandemic -- and that innovation will also help us reimagine CES 2021 and bring together the tech community in a meaningful way. By shifting to an all-digital platform for 2021, we can deliver a unique experience that helps our exhibitors connect with existing and new audiences."

Leading up to the decision, the CTA had polled previous attendees for input as to whether they would feel comfortable attending the 2021 show in person and what changes they would like to see to feel safe. Despite its best efforts, the show is now transitioning to online-only.

CES 2021 will be held on January 6 through January 9 virtually. The current plan is to bring the show back to Las Vegas for 2022.

While Apple doesn't attend the show, the company's hardware continues to have a massive presence. Countless accessories makers announce their latest wares at the shows, with an increasing focus on home automation. In 2020, AppleInsider saw a massive influx of HomeKit products, USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 peripherals, and much more announced -- with much of it yet to ship because of coronavirus-induced production problems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    While we may never know for sure, it might have been CES 2020 that was the catalyst for the pandemic entering and rapidly spreading in the US. Not saying an attendee brought the very first case, but likely brought in multiple Covid-positive people who spread to other attendees who then traveled back home, all over the country.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I attended shows there annually for a decade, working for two different electronics companies. I get cold sweats just thinking about working that show.

But this will be a massive financial hit to Las Vegas. The show isn’t just the Convention Center, it is whole hotels at max capacity, catering banquets, restaurants doing a month’s worth of business in a week, cabbies and Uber drivers in constant motion—all of it canceled.

This is a financial neutron bomb for the city.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I attended shows there annually for a decade, working for two different electronics companies. I get cold sweats just thinking about working that show.

But this will be a massive financial hit to Las Vegas. The show isn’t just the Convention Center, it is whole hotels at max capacity, catering banquets, restaurants doing a month’s worth of business in a week, cabbies and Uber drivers in constant motion—all of it canceled.

This is a financial neutron bomb for the city.
    You're right, but... Las Vegas has already been annihilated by the pandemic.  I expect there isn't a city in the country more negatively impacted (in terms of percentage decline in gross revenue and therefore jobs) than LV.  This is just the 40th nail in the coffin.  And entirely expected.   
    sphericwatto_cobra