Apple's new subscription services may be off to a slower than expected start

Posted:
in General Discussion
Some analysts are raising concerns that Apple's 2019 slate of services are off to a slower start than originally anticipated, but how much that may impact Thursday's earnings isn't clear.

Credit: WikiCommons
Credit: WikiCommons

In March 2019, Apple launched four new premium Services offerings: Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+ and Apple Card. In the year since they launched, Bernstein estimates that they haven't added much to Apple's top line.

According to Bloomberg, Apple's Services revenue is expected to grow to $13.1 billion in the third quarter of 2020. That's up 15% year-over-year, but data shows the majority of the growth came from existing services.

That growth may be relative, however. Apple TV+, which launched in November, is expected to bring in $2.5 billion in 2020 per Bernstein's revenue models. During this period, Apple TV+ was available for free for Apple users that purchased new hardware, including the $169 Apple TV, and $199 iPod touch.

Apple TV+ has had its own successes, with a handful of its shows winning nominations or awards.

Services revenue is also a combined sector of Apple's business -- the company doesn't break down the sector into specific subscriptions. More than that, the company's slate of Services are already contributing to Apple's continued market outperformance even during coronavirus, and are likely to continue to grow.

In the first half of 2020, for example, the App Store generated $32.8 billion for developers -- up 20% year-over-year. Apple also recently highlighted a report suggesting that the marketplace generated half a trillion in total commerce for businesses.

Some of the 2019 Services have had a rockier start than others, however. In February, Apple News' head of business stepped down. In June, the New York Times said it would leave the free Apple News platform.

The App Store has also generated controversy among some developers, and Apple CEO Tim Cook is set to testify before Congress about whether its App Store policies are snuffing out competition.

Apple does appear to be identifying the sticking points and taking steps to resolve them. In late June, the company was said to be shifting its Apple Arcade strategy to focus on engagement. It has also offered new free trials for Apple Arcade and Apple News+ to users who had subscriptions but canceled them.

In the meantime, Apple's Services sector is still reliant on established platforms like the App Store and licensing deals, which are forecast to bring in about $25 billion for the Cupertino tech giant in the June quarter.

Apple is set to announce its Q3 2020 earnings results on a conference call with investors and analysts at 2 p.m. Pacific (5 p.m. Eastern) on Thursday, July 30.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Ugh! Has Apple (since Steve's return) ever worried about short-term results?!

• Reply 2 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    They’re still doing OK and they’ll do even better when some new ‘toys’ come out (hopefully soon).
  • Reply 3 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I’ve  looked at them but am not using them. Tried ATV+ and wasn’t impressed. Have not gone in in months.  Will likely drop it when the free year is done. Music, I have my source. Arcade, looks interesting but they keep pushing games I’m not interested in. I haven’t seen much that I would want to play. News, no. I’m not a news junkie. I have my source and then I do something else the rest of the day.
    canukstormchemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 19
    bsnjonbsnjon Posts: 39member
    These services are not bad, per se, but Apple b can’t afford to have hobbies. The branding for these is nonsensical and there isn’t enough value for many people. 
    Bundling seems like the obvious answer.  
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Sounds like the usual FUD. 
    lkruppmike1
  • Reply 6 of 19
    ralphieralphie Posts: 104member
    Does this surprise anyone?!  Apple has no clue how to do services.
    lkruppchemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Slower than expected growth by whom?  By Apple or some a-hole analyst?  Anyone can criticize but unless they offer some useful advice, they might as well just keep quiet.  I think I've only watched Amazing Stories series and it was OK, and Greyhound which I liked.  Other than those two things there weren't any other shows I was interested in.  I wish AppleTV+ had Japanese and Korean dramas which I could get into watching over the long-term.
    mike1
  • Reply 8 of 19
    bsnjon said:
    These services are not bad, per se, but Apple b can’t afford to have hobbies. The branding for these is nonsensical and there isn’t enough value for many people. 
    What?  Why can't Apple afford to have hobbies?  Also, if Apple TV+ really is bringing in $2.5 billion a year, that's a "hobby" that most companies would kill for.
    bsnjon
  • Reply 9 of 19
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    I might watch Apple TV+ if they supported Chromecast. I’m not spending $200 on an ATV just to watch one channel. 
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Slower than expected growth by whom?  By Apple or some a-hole analyst?  Anyone can criticize but unless they offer some useful advice, they might as well just keep quiet.  I think I've only watched Amazing Stories series and it was OK, and Greyhound which I liked.  Other than those two things there weren't any other shows I was interested in.  I wish AppleTV+ had Japanese and Korean dramas which I could get into watching over the long-term.

So, the solution to the supposed problem, in your view, is really niche programming (in the US and Europe)?!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    DAalseth said:
    I’ve  looked at them but am not using them. Tried ATV+ and wasn’t impressed. Have not gone in in months.  Will likely drop it when the free year is done. Music, I have my source. Arcade, looks interesting but they keep pushing games I’m not interested in. I haven’t seen much that I would want to play. News, no. I’m not a news junkie. I have my source and then I do something else the rest of the day.
    You should drop by just to watch Greyhound. It’s pretty good. Definitely worth a couple of hours. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    "Fewer than expected" is one of those ephemeral statements authors often make because it sounds important/ominous without actually saying anything since "who* is having those expectations is never specified.  I bet if asked the author wouldn't even be able to answer it - except maybe with an equally nebulous "some analysts".

Personally, I didn't expect much from Apple TV+, Apple News+, and maybe even Apple Arcade.  Apple TV+ just doesn't have enough content - even for its modest monthly fee.  Apple News+ is probably a niche by now (who wants to binge-read news articles, even if nicely formatted with pretty pictures?)  I do, but I'm not paying $10/mo when I can just subscribe to the NYT for $/mo and get the same news through it and other free sources via Feedly RSS reader).  Apple Arcade is just getting started and might not have a bad quarter, esp. during covid.  But it probably also doesn't have enough content to justify a subscription model for the majority of folks - those who just want to waste a few minutes when they're bored.

I do expect great things from Apple Card/Apple Pay.  As people strive for more privacy and security, they can't help but eventually get an Apple Card.  I have 5-6 cards and since getting the Apple Card, 95% of my credit card activity is now with Apple Card.  And every time someone uses it or Apple Pay, Apple gets their 0.125% (or thereabouts) transaction fee from the issuing bank.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I was impressed by the Morning Show, that sort of thing is not my cup of tea but i was surprised. Nothing else has caught my attention though. See was pretty meh, didn't match up to the hype imo. 

I had an Arcade sub, but cancelled it after finishing the 4 or 5 decent games and being left with essentially ad-free rehashes of the mid to low-grade games that already exist free on the App Store. Rather disappointing to be honest.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 14 of 19
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    My impression of all the Apple Services is that they are polished. Not everything they offer I like, but those that I like I really love. I am currently subs ATV+ (free and will keep), Arcade, News and Music. I wished they do bundle with discounted price for 4 services.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    tokyojimu said:
    I might watch Apple TV+ if they supported Chromecast. I’m not spending $200 on an ATV just to watch one channel. 
    Or you could watch it on your Mac, your iPad or iPhone. There are probably software solutions that will enable you to stream from that device to your Chromecast.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I agree with those who say that Apple should stick to products and not these services. I had the free ATV+ subscription but cancelled it after six months. These attempts at revenue sources are a distraction and dilute the quality of the Apple brand.  
  • Reply 17 of 19
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    tokyojimu said:
    And you don't have to - they are less expensive than that, and the non-4K ATV is even cheaper.  AND - there may be an Apple TV+ app on one of your other smart devices (Roku, Firestick, TV, etc.)
  • Reply 18 of 19
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    "According to Bloomberg, Apple's Services revenue is expected to grow to $13.1 billion in the third quarter of 2020. That's up 15% year-over-year, but data shows the majority of the growth came from existing services."

And what "data" is that? Services revenue is not broken down into its constituent parts. What dark, smelly hole did the author pull that "data" out of? And Bloomberg? That anti-Apple rag? Really?

Lots of moaning on here about the dearth of Apple offerings. But you folks don't get it. Not everything Apple produces is meant for you, which should be obvious. That it isn't says volumes.

Apple is literally producing high quality product, which moves any profit directly into their coffers. Why do you think everyone's jumping into that arena? If pretty much all you rent or sell is stuff you produce, then it'll take a while (years) to fill the pipeline. But once the pipeline is full, it's a high-margin pipeline. A couple of years out, folks will happily pay the very reasonable fee for what Apple has to offer.

It's called long-term planning. Again, pretty obvious. And again, that it's obvious says much more about 
    many posting here, including the person that wrote the Bloomberg article, than it says about Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    bsnjonbsnjon Posts: 39member
    bsnjon said:
    What?  Why can't Apple afford to have hobbies?  Also, if Apple TV+ really is bringing in $2.5 billion a year, that's a "hobby" that most companies would kill for.
    I meant that in a different way. Apple certainly has tons of cash and could afford to do whatever it wants, a car, a bank, whatever. 
    I mean, from a consumer perspective, if something has the Apple name on it, they (rightly) expect a first-class product; something that is arguably a leading one in its field. Several of these services are not that. 

There is no way AppleTv+ subscription revenue is 2.5 billion this year.