Upcoming MacBook or MacBook Air battery regulatory documents surface

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
A new pair of regulatory certifications for a potential MacBook or MacBook Air battery may hint that a hardware refresh is on the way.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The certificates, filed with China's 3C administrator and Denmark's UL Demko, cover a 49.9 watt-hour battery with model number of A2389 and a capacity of 4,380 mAh. The model number is as of yet unused, but the capacity lines up with batteries used in current-generation MacBook Air models.

Both certifications were first spotted by Venkatesh Babu.G, a public information contributor to MySmartPrice. As he points out, the voltage charging limit rating indicates that the battery is likely destined for a MacBook.

Possible Upcoming Apple Macbook battery model (A2389) appeared on 3C and UL Demko certifications.
4380mAh #Battery
Going by the voltage it could not be the iPhone battery.#Apple #A2389 #Macbook pic.twitter.com/5Re2oj4Bpz

-- Venkatesh Babu.G (@smartvenkat95)

Apple has already refreshed the lineup with the 2020 MacBook Air back in March, but the impending switch to Apple Silicon could mean that a new MacBook Air model may be launched sooner than Apple's usual update pace.

In March, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast that Apple's first ARM-based MacBook model could arrive by the end of 2020.

After Apple announced the transition to Apple Silicon in June, Kuo updated that forecast to suggest that a MacBook Air with an A-series chip could debut in the fourth quarter of 2020 or the first quarter of 2021. On the other hand, Kuo did suggest that a 13-inch MacBook Pro with an A-series chip would debut first.

Previously, a reliable leaker suggested that the first of Apple's Apple Silicon Macs could be a refresh of the 12-inch MacBook.

Based on Apple's current and recent notebook specifications, the battery indicated in the 3C and UL Demko certificates has too low of a capacity for a MacBook Pro, and higher than the last generation of 12-inch MacBook. It's possible that Apple could make changes to the capacity of the batteries it installs in its A-series MacBook models, however. With increased energy efficiency, a MacBook model could potentially sport the same battery life with a lower-capacity battery.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple Silicon based 13.3" MacBook Air in October 2020 would be smart move because it creates base for the next iteration of MBA with 14.1" screen and other features is destined for 2021.
    aderutter
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 605member
    We wants it!
    steve_jobs
  • Reply 3 of 5
    vorstvorst Posts: 11member

I’m typing this on a iPad Pro with Magic keyboard case. I find that iPad Pro V1 works much smoother then my MacBook Pro 2018. Especially with scrolling, due to fine-tuned hardware for the OS. Mechanically they got it right now with the Mac. It will be like an iPad Pro into a MacBook Pro box (maybe smaller). The capability will be better with Mac OS (hopeful with more RAM). I only see an issue with software, that could be fixed later (OS and Apps). No way I want to buy the past. When the first MacBook Air was released, I loved that device and it also was a V1 release (Got it for 5 years), when everybody was working with those bulky laptops, that felt like trucks. 

steve_jobsh4y3s
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    There is only one problem I see with the new MacBook 12/13 (Arm/Apple Silicon).  NO OPEN STARBUCKS to go inside and drink coffee and MAX!!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    rezwits said:
    There is only one problem I see with the new MacBook 12/13 (Arm/Apple Silicon).  NO OPEN STARBUCKS to go inside and drink coffee and MAX!!
    They're open with limited seating here in Canada. If the US could get everyone to use common sense and mask up for a few weeks, things could get back closer to normal (it will never be the old "normal" again) by the fall. Sadly I doubt it has the discipline to mandate this everywhere. :disappointed: