LG UltraFine 5K Display listed as 'unavailable' through online Apple Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    barthrh said:
    sflocal said:
    Fi has similar issues with my Promise TB2 R8 and R6.  I updated the firmware on both of them, problem solved.  This was back in April I think.  Promise still maintains current firmware for these models.  Have you checked yours?
    Yeah. The problem started with High Sierra. Driver crashed the whole OS (this unit requires a driver). Enough users complained that they released an unsupported patch. They say the unit (released in 2013) is out of support; i.e. they abandoned it only 5 years in, when as a TB2 SSD enclosure it's still perfectly current. No new firmware or driver patches will be issued. Lesson learned: Never get an enclosure that requires a driver (and nothing from Promise since they seem to have no issue abandoning a product if sales weren't what they expected).

In Catalina, it sort of kind of works. The driver doesn't crash but it's hit or miss as to whether the enclosure will mount. Sometimes it'll mount and then immediately drop. If it lasts 5 min, you're generally good until the next sleep / restart. I plan to replace it with an OWC Thunderbay Mini at some point.
    That's not my experience.  I have an R6 and an R8 both humming perfectly under Catalina.  Back in April (I think), a MacOS update started causing serious problems with my RAID arrays.  It was immediate.  They were having problems when being re-mounted after MacOS wakeup from sleep... Apple support immediately knew of the problem, and recommended I upgrade the firmware.

I don't know anything about whatever drama Promise might have had with not supporting the TB2 hardware.  There was a firmware update on their website - it didn't say it was "unsupported" and it resolved the problem.  About six weeks ago Promise had another firmware upgrade for those systems, and I upgraded the firmware again.  Promise has (for me) been quite good about keeping the firmware updates, so I'm a bit at a loss about your experience.  I would definitely buy another RAID array from them.

The only thing I don't like about my RAID arrays is the minimal - to zero - information about current hard drives that are compatible with my system.  They should really do better on that, but I do cut them some slack as my two units are over 5 years old.  My R8 originally came with Seagate drives and three of them have failed.  They're garbage.  My R6 came with Toshiba drives and they have been rock solid.  

I'd love to replace all the 3TB drives with new, 10TB+ drives, but I don't know what drives are compatible with my array and it's a lot of money to invest in what is essentially a roll of the dice.

Other than that, I've had great experience with them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 620member
    Get me a 4K or 5K Apple monitor in the $1500 to $2000 range and I will buy. I can’t justify their only monitor as it costs more than my MacBook Pro. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Still rocking 30" ACDs, will gladly upgrade if Apple ever releases new displays. I'm seriously hoping they release matching displays alongside the new iMac design whenever that appears.
    watto_cobra