Google One app gains new storage manager, iOS version on the way

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Google announced the launch of a new Google One app for iOS, which is set to hit the App Store sometime in the near future.

In the near future iPhone owners will be able to back up their pictures, videos, calendar events, and contacts to their Google account via the new Google One iOS app.

Google One also includes a new storage manager that allows users to manage their files and offers suggestions on how to free up space. The storage manager is available on all mobile apps, as well as on the web.

Storage space includes the customary 15 gigabytes included with a user's Google account. If 15 gigabytes isn't enough, Google One offers extended storage plans starting at $1.99 per month for 100 gigabytes, $2.99 per month for 200 gigabytes, or $9.99 a month two terabytes of storage.

A membership to Apple's own cloud storage system, iCloud, costs the same as Google One and can be accessed from the iPhone, iPad, and web browsers.

Announced in 2018, Google One is effectively a renaming of its cloud storage service, one that encompasses many other Google services that have online storage components. Users can pay a monthly fee to Google One for storage, which can be used with Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos, expanding free allocations and providing more space for files.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I guess they’re just consolidating their existing free services to offer an extended paid version?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    The "1" refers to the number of iPhone and iPad owners who will entrust their photos, contact, and other personal information to Google instead of Apple.
    Beatsbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Nowhere will there ever be a scenario where I dump all my private info to Google.  Somewhere deep in the annals of Google’s TOS will probably be a sentence that grants Google permission to use and monetize my data.  If it’s not in there, it certainly will be later when no one is looking.

just... no,
    watto_cobra