Nvidia is reportedly in 'advanced talks' to acquire Arm Holdings

Posted:
in General Discussion
Graphics chipmaker Nvidia is reportedly in "advanced talks" to acquire Arm Holdings, which if completed, could be the largest deal to date in the semiconductor industry.

Credit: Arm Holdings
Credit: Arm Holdings

It was reported earlier in July that SoftBank, the company that owns Arm Holdings, was mulling a sale or initial public offering of the chip design company.

Following subsequent reports that Nvidia was interested in acquiring the SoftBank-owned company, Bloomberg reported on Friday that the chipmaker was in "advanced talks" to buy Arm Holdings. More than that, the company was said to be the only firm in that stage of the negotiation.

Nvidia is already the largest graphics chipmaker in the world, and a purchase of Arm Holdings could propel the company to become a significant player in the silicon industry. SoftBank and Nvidia plan to reach a deal within the next few weeks.

A purchase of Arm Holdings would be the largest deal to date in the semiconductor industry, with Bloomberg reporting that an IPO of the company could be worth $44 billion. Previously, the largest-ever deal in the chipmaking industry was in 2015, when Avago merged with Broadcom in a $37 billion deal. It's likely that companies which license the ARM instruction set will oppose the acquisition until assurances can be made that ARM will continue to be available to companies equally.

Concerns about antitrust were what originally resulted in SoftBank, a neutral party, acquiring Arm Holdings the last time it went up for sale.

The sale or IPO of Arm Holdings is significant to Apple because the Cupertino tech giant licenses the ARM instruction set for use in its own A-series chips. ARM-based technology will only get more important to Apple because of the transition to Apple Silicon in its Mac devices.

A report from earlier in July also indicated that SoftBank approached Apple about the possibility of a purchase. The Cupertino iPhone maker reportedly declined the bid.

Along with Apple, companies like Intel, Qualcomm, and AMD all license technology from Arm Holdings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Just the wait time of approval from various government will likely kill the deal. 

civaanantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 96
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    viclauyyc said:
    Just the wait time of approval from various government will likely kill the deal. 

Nvidia will have no issues getting this approved. 
    Beatsblastdoor
  • Reply 3 of 96
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    viclauyyc said:

We can only hope. 

As I said before, this is not only a mistake, putting control of the ARM architecture directly in the hands of China (NVIDIA is Intel, and Intel is pretty much China), but it's going in the exact direction I expected it to go. 

I called this when it was first reported, and everyone said I was being Chicken Little. 

What now, brown cow? 
    Beatswilliamlondonwatto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 4 of 96
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    flydog said:
    viclauyyc said:

A stipulation of the sale will almost certainly be that new ARM IP will not be made available to Chinese companies, due to China's use of civilian technology for the PLA. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 96
    tmay said:
    flydog said:
    viclauyyc said:

A stipulation of the sale will almost certainly be that new ARM IP will not be made available to Chinese companies, due to China's use of civilian technology for the PLA. 
    Also due to the fact nothing is made in china without the chinese government having complete control of it. 
    williamlondonelijahgwatto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 6 of 96
    civa said:
    viclauyyc said:

We can only hope. 

As I said before, this is not only a mistake, putting control of the ARM architecture directly in the hands of China (NVIDIA is Intel, and Intel is pretty much China), but it's going in the exact direction I expected it to go. 

I called this when it was first reported, and everyone said I was being Chicken Little. 

What now, brown cow? 
    Nonsense 
    williamlondonXedchiamwhitetenthousandthingsJWSCGeorgeBMacblastdoordysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 96
    I hope that Apple has a Plan 'B'? What if Nvidia start messing with Arm License terms and want a load more $$$$? Apple and Nvidia are not exactly good friends.
    Apple should make sure that this can't happen or move to plan B, a different CPU architecture?

civadysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 96
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Nvidia acquiring ARM is a bad idea. Too many companies that rely on ARM IP could potentially get screwed by this acquisition if it goes through.

edited July 2020 GeorgeBMacdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 96
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    civa said:
    viclauyyc said:

We can only hope. 

What now, brown cow? 
    Taiwan is not the People's Republic of China, though China continues to push that they "own" Taiwan. Another way of looking at it, is the smaller, more successful and democratic Taiwan should be running Mainland China.
    edited July 2020 dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 96
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I hope that Apple has a Plan 'B'? What if Nvidia start messing with Arm License terms and want a load more $$$$? Apple and Nvidia are not exactly good friends.
    Apple should make sure that this can't happen or move to plan B, a different CPU architecture?

Licensing terms are already set and Apple has an architectural license which is a perpetual license.

1. ARM would not sell without ensuring that all current licensees are safe.
    2. No government would allow the sale unless nVIDIA guaranteed to continue to design and license IP under fair terms.
    aderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 96

Nvidia acquiring ARM is a bad idea. Too many companies that rely on ARM IP could potentially get screwed by this acquisition if it goes through.

nVIDIA already has an ARM license, so I'm not sure what good owning the company would actually do other than a new revenue source. Oh, and of course enabling them shove their GPU designs down everyone's throats, like Intel does.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 96
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    mjtomlin said:

nVIDIA already has an ARM license, so I'm not sure what good owning the company would actually do other than a new revenue source. Oh, and of course enabling them shove their GPU designs down everyone's throats, like Intel does.
    Pushing their GPU tech with ARM designs - Mali is lacking and it would give NVIDIA a chance to have a much wider market.

ARM IP, Mellanox IP and NVIDIA IP all under one roof. That also sounds like a pretty a strong combination for the server market.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 96
    civa said:
    NVIDIA is Intel, and Intel is pretty much China
    What on earth are you talking about? Nvidia and Intel have absolutely nothing to do with each other. It is PC manufacturers that choose to pair Intel CPUs with Nvidia GPUs. Intel could care less. Quite the contrary, Intel once made their own discrete GPUs to compete with Nvidia and are now working on integrated GPUs to replace the 1080p Nvidia cards (the 4K cards not so much). So long as you buy Intel CPUs and motherboards they could care less what else - operating system or other components - you put in the box.

The only caveat is that people who use AMD GPUs tend to use AMD CPUs for business and tech reasons ... it is cheaper plus it is a turnkey CPU/GPU set without having to write custom code to optimize it. But even that isn't an ironclad requirement: see Apple with their Intel CPUs and AMD Radeon Pro GPUs in several of their Mac SKUs. 

This is what I am talking about: how certain Apple fans view everyone who isn't an Apple supplier as "the enemy."
    edited July 2020 JWSC
  • Reply 14 of 96
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    KITA said:
    mjtomlin said:

Pushing their GPU tech with ARM designs - Mali is lacking and it would give NVIDIA a chance to have a much wider market.

ARM IP, Mellanox IP and NVIDIA IP all under one roof. That also sounds like a pretty a strong combination for the server market.
    Question is, is what about the wider market that licenses ARM IP? Will Nvidia good steward of that patent portfolio? I'm not convinced which is why I think a consortium owning it would be a wiser move.
    civa
  • Reply 15 of 96
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    KITA said:
    mjtomlin said:

Question is, is what about the wider market that licenses ARM IP? Will Nvidia good steward of that patent portfolio? I'm not convinced which is why I think a consortium owning it would be a wiser move.
    Don't get me wrong, I couldn't say how NVIDIA would handle this. A consortium could very well be a better option for a more even playing field.

My comment was addressing why NVIDIA would even want them in the first place and what sort of impact that could have on their business.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 16 of 96
    tmay said:
    civa said:
    viclauyyc said:

We can only hope. 

What now, brown cow? 
    Taiwan is not the People's Republic of China, though China continues to push that they "own" Taiwan. Another way of looking at it, is the smaller, more successful and democratic Taiwan should be running Mainland China.
    Beijing isn't Taiwan. Intel is located in Beijing. Intel owns Nvidia. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 96
    civa said:
    NVIDIA is Intel, and Intel is pretty much China
    What on earth are you talking about? Nvidia and Intel have absolutely nothing to do with each other. It is PC manufacturers that choose to pair Intel CPUs with Nvidia GPUs. Intel could care less. Quite the contrary, Intel once made their own discrete GPUs to compete with Nvidia and are now working on integrated GPUs to replace the 1080p Nvidia cards (the 4K cards not so much). So long as you buy Intel CPUs and motherboards they could care less what else - operating system or other components - you put in the box.

The only caveat is that people who use AMD GPUs tend to use AMD CPUs for business and tech reasons ... it is cheaper plus it is a turnkey CPU/GPU set without having to write custom code to optimize it. But even that isn't an ironclad requirement: see Apple with their Intel CPUs and AMD Radeon Pro GPUs in several of their Mac SKUs. 

This is what I am talking about: how certain Apple fans view everyone who isn't an Apple supplier as "the enemy."
    I just looked it up. Last I had heard, and I was going off VERY old information, Intel had bought NVIDIA. I also talked to my IT manager, here, to be sure, and he agreed. 
    Turns out we were both wrong, because I can't find confirmation of the purchase. 
  • Reply 18 of 96
    civa said:

I just looked it up. Last I had heard, and I was going off VERY old information, Intel had bought NVIDIA. I also talked to my IT manager, here, to be sure, and he agreed. Turns out we were both wrong, because I can't find confirmation of the purchase. 
    1. nVIDIA is not Intel. They are two separate companies and have nothing to do with each other.
    2. Intel IS NOT China. They are an American company based in Santa Clara, CA U.S.A. (Actually just "down the road" from nVIDIA).
    3. Maybe you're thinking of AMD buying ATI/Radeon? Even then AMD is an American company -and ATI was a Canadian company.
    edited July 2020 tmayGeorgeBMacfastasleepp-dogwatto_cobraanantksundaram
  • Reply 19 of 96
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Apple should have gone 1st-party with the CPU ISA like the rest of the SoC. That could still be the case if they’re actually emulating ARM on ASi for compatibility/developer access.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 96
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    civa said:
    tmay said:
    flydog said:
    viclauyyc said:

Also due to the fact nothing is made in china without the chinese government having complete control of it. 

Bahahahaha....
    ... That's what your right wing overlords want you to think....

The rest of the world knows that is nonsense.
    williamlondonp-dog