Apple buys startup that turns smartphones into mobile payments terminals

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Apple recently purchased Mobeewave, a payments technology startup that developed a method by which smartphones like iPhone can be used as mobile payments terminals.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports Apple paid approximately $100 million for Montreal-based Mobeewave and its "dozens" of employees. The team has been retained and continues to work out of its headquarters.

Apple confirmed the purchase with a boilerplate statement, saying, "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Mobeewave's technology employs NFC communications to enable users to conduct payments by tapping a compatible credit card on a smartphone. Consumers can also trigger transactions by bringing two smartphones within close proximity of each other, the report said.

Details of the payments tech were left unreported, but Mobeewave's solution appears to focus on the secure transfer of credentials over existing hardware protocols. A number of point of sale terminals support tap-to-pay credit card transactions, though the tech has yet to make the leap to iPhone. Apple first integrated NFC capabilities into its flagship smartphone with iPhone 6 and 6s in 2014.

If adopted, the payments tech would allow Apple to compete with the likes of Square. Unlike existing solutions that require extra hardware like first-party dongles or NFC reader attachments, however, Mobeewave's integrated system is much more appealing and could be a game changer for small businesses.
Detnator

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    So waitstaff can take payment at the table with a small iPhone instead of a bulky mobile POS device. 
    bageljoeyentropysSpamSandwichPetrolDaveMacProdoozydozenwatto_cobraDetnatorjony0
  • Reply 2 of 19
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The retail POS terminal industry has been wide open for Apple since the invention of iPad. Not sure why Apple has been dragging their feet.

Small businesses choose to use iPads(with 3rd party software) but they aren't supported natively. Imagine if they were?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Beats said:
    The retail POS terminal industry has been wide open for Apple since the invention of iPad. Not sure why Apple has been dragging their feet.

Small businesses choose to use iPads(with 3rd party software) but they aren't supported natively. Imagine if they were?
    Apple figured if they’re going to be investigated for antitrust, might as well go whole hog.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 4 of 19
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:

Apple figured if they’re going to be investigated for antitrust, might as well go whole hog.

Forgot to add. Apple has also shi**ed on companies who used to use iPod touches to take people's orders. Hopefully Apple supports them again but unfortunately there has been nothing as cheap or small as the iPod since.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If adopted, the payments tech would allow Apple to compete with the likes of Square. Unlike existing solutions that require extra hardware like first-party dongles or NFC reader attachments, however, Mobeewave's integrated system is much more appealing and could be a game changer for small businesses.

Intriguing.

My first guess is that Apple will only use the system for the retail stores, which rely on a clunky iPhone terminal add-on to process credit cards (do Apple store even take cash? Not that it matters; after this year, no one will). 

I think they will also add a framework so that services like Square can process payments on-device, without the need for extra hardware.

But I'll tell you where this will really make a huge difference: craft fairs, outdoor gigs … We went for a walk around the grounds of stately home the other day (no one is allowed inside at the moment). Now that it's card payments only, all the ice cream vendors have terminals to take the money.  So from the gift shop (closed) you can see all these vendors running about waving payment terminals in the air, trying to get a connection. Turned out that the best place to get a signal was by the entrance to the ladies toilets … that was a very weird queue: women looking suspiciously at men, and men shouting: "I'm just buying ice cream!"

Anyway, yes, processing payments on device, without needing to connect to a network would be a game changer for outdoor venues.
    edited August 2020 PetrolDavelarryjwDetnatorjony0
  • Reply 6 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Hopefully this becomes ubiquitous in restaurants.  Not that we can go to restaurants at the moment but it always seemed like the USA was in the dark ages after being in Europe when it comes to this.  No one ever takes your credit card out of your sight in Europe not even in s small street cafe, it is always done at the table in front of you.  I cringe when waiters here disappear with my credit card and say 'I'll be right back.'  I went through four Amex cards last year that were all used fraudulently.
    edited August 2020 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobraDetnatordewmejony0
  • Reply 7 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MacPro said:
    Hopefully this becomes ubiquitous in restaurants.  Not that we can go to restaurants at the moment but it always seemed like the USA was in the dark ages after being in Europe when it comes to this.  No one ever takes your credit card out of your sight in Europe not even in s small street cafe, it is always done at the table in front of you.  I cringe when waiters here disappear with my credit card and say 'I'll be right back.'  I went through four Amex cards last year that were all used fraudulently.

Yes, the U.S. has fallen far behind most of world in converting to electronic payments.

And now we are seeing panic in the U.S. that cash may not be used to buy things anymore -- probably led by those tax cheats trying to operate on a cash only basis to avoid their taxes.  But, I understand that in Europe there are many merchants who won't accept cash:   not only is it a hassle to deal with but it puts them at risk for being robbed.

For myself, I avoid any merchant who does not accept ApplePay and will walk out of a store if it doesn't even take plastic.
    I simply don't use cash -- I've had the same $20 bill in my wallet for months now.

So, I see this as a boon to small, owner operated businesses and to things like vendors at farmers markets, etc....|
    watto_cobraDetnatorjony0
  • Reply 8 of 19
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    MacPro said:
    Yes, and just to rub it in, those mobile payment terminals have been universal in European restaurants for years. No idea why they're almost non-existent in the USA.
    watto_cobraJinTechjony0
  • Reply 9 of 19
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 516member
    I'm all for electronic payment systems at stores, especially now.  It frustrates me to no end when I use my AW to pay for something on a debit card or CC and STILL have to grab the stylus to sign or touch the PINPAD to enter a PIN.  Why do I need a PIN if I'm using an Apple Watch and Apple Pay?  Especially for something under $20.  Banks really should get rid of that requirement.  Contactless (like waving my CC in front of the terminal) I can see needing a PIN as anyone could be using my card.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 10 of 19
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I'm all for electronic payment systems at stores, especially now.  It frustrates me to no end when I use my AW to pay for something on a debit card or CC and STILL have to grab the stylus to sign or touch the PINPAD to enter a PIN.  Why do I need a PIN if I'm using an Apple Watch and Apple Pay?  Especially for something under $20.  Banks really should get rid of that requirement.  Contactless (like waving my CC in front of the terminal) I can see needing a PIN as anyone could be using my card.

I have never once had to do that.  And, I use ApplePay on my watch almost always -- even at gasoline pumps.
    watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ITGUYINSD said:

I have never once had to do that.  And, I use ApplePay on my watch almost always -- even at gasoline pumps.
    I have Apple Pay set up using my credit card so no PIN necessary anyway. However, at some places (Like Ocean State Job Lot) I still have to interact with their terminal a bunch. I have to verify the amount on the screen by tapping “yes”, I have to choose credit card or debit card, etc. It’s kind of a pain. At Mobil, where I can pay at the pump, I have to choose debit or credit, enter my zip code and decline a car wash. That bugs me to no end considering at the grocery store that’s next to the OSJL and slightly down the road from the Mobil all I have to do is hold my watch up to the terminal and I’m done.

My in-laws have a landscaping business. If this ‘hold the credit card up to the phone’ thing comes to fruition that may finally get them to stop mailing out invoices and waiting for checks to be mailed back.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobraDetnatorjony0
  • Reply 12 of 19
    ITGUYINSD said:

I have Apple Pay set up using my credit card so no PIN necessary anyway. However, at some places (Like Ocean State Job Lot) I still have to interact with their terminal a bunch. I have to verify the amount on the screen by tapping “yes”, I have to choose credit card or debit card, etc. It’s kind of a pain. At Mobil, where I can pay at the pump, I have to choose debit or credit, enter my zip code and decline a car wash. That bugs me to no end considering at the grocery store that’s next to the OSJL and slightly down the road from the Mobil all I have to do is hold my watch up to the terminal and I’m done.

My in-laws have a landscaping business. If this ‘hold the credit card up to the phone’ thing comes to fruition that may finally get them to stop mailing out invoices and waiting for checks to be mailed back.

Yeh, true...    I occasionally get that crap too.   But that's from the merchant, not the bank.   The, "Credit or Debit" thing always bugs me:   why would anybody with a credit card choose "debit"?   What a silly question!
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 19
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    neilm said:
    MacPro said:
    Yes, and just to rub it in, those mobile payment terminals have been universal in European restaurants for years. No idea why they're almost non-existent in the USA.
    It still baffles my mind that the San Francisco Bay Area still does not have a RFID payment option for public transportation. The company responsible for one card payment option for the twenty-two public transportation organizations still does not have an alternative to their plastic card that you must manually reload every time. The weird thing too is when you hold your phone up to the terminal Apple Wallet does come up (or at least it used, not sure if it does anymore) but it doesn't see anything there.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 19
    JinTech said:
    neilm said:
    MacPro said:
    It still baffles my mind that the San Francisco Bay Area still does not have a RFID payment option for public transportation. The company responsible for one card payment option for the twenty-two public transportation organizations still does not have an alternative to their plastic card that you must manually reload every time. The weird thing too is when you hold your phone up to the terminal Apple Wallet does come up (or at least it used, not sure if it does anymore) but it doesn't see anything there.

The Bay Area transit system is certainly not unique in their backwardness.  At least not in the U.S.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    This capability appearing in Apple’s portfolio looks like it’ll be a major problem for Square. They seem to have a lot of customers at smaller venues like fairs and flea markets and even small stores. The only question I have is how do I know whether a particular credit card supports the contactless payment method this technology requires? 

The US is laughably behind Europe and even further behind modern parts of Asia like Singapore, Hong Kong, and major Chinese cities when it comes to certain types of modern infrastructure. Capabilities like this payment system have not only been pervasive for at least 10-15 years outside of the US in restaurants and stores, but are widely used in public transportation, parking garages, toll booth free toll roads, etc. The good news is by the time the technology reaches the US it’s already been well tested and had most of the kinks worked out over a 10 year beta test period. 

The other thing that I’ve seen is how reasonable the fees are for using electronic payment systems outside the US. I had to use an ATM card at a hotel in China once and was somewhat fearful of getting slammed with a big fee, like you see when you use a bank ATM not affiliated with your bank in the US. The fee for pulling $300 USD equivalent in Chinese currency was a whopping 80 cents. Go figure.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 19
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    JinTech said:
    neilm said:
    MacPro said:

The Bay Area transit system is certainly not unique in their backwardness.  At least not in the U.S.
    No but the Bay Area being home to where a lot of these technologies emerged, you would think other companies would be keen on taking advantage of these technologies.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 19
    JinTech said:
    JinTech said:
    neilm said:
    MacPro said:

No but the Bay Area being home to where a lot of these technologies emerged, you would think other companies would be keen on taking advantage of these technologies.

One would think.  But, transit systems people seem to live in their own little universe.
    JinTech
  • Reply 18 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    This sound fantastic!

available in the USA only. Sighs.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    ApplePay is going to suddenly get a whole lot more powerful...