Google to buy stake in ADT in $450M Google Nest security deal

Posted:
in General Discussion
Announced on Monday morning, the deal, worth $450 million, will establish a long-term commitment to partnership with ADT and will give Google a 6.6% share of the company.

The move will combine Google Nest's hardware with ADT's installation, service, and monitoring. Google Nest customers will be offered both DIY and professionally installed security services.

"We're excited to partner with ADT to further our mission of building helpful devices for the home," said Rishi Chandra, GM and Vice President of Nest.

Google's purchase will include newly creates shares of Class B common stock, which grants them all the rights and preferences of ADT's commons stock. However, the company will not be able to vote on the election, appointment, or removal of directors. The deal is expected to close in the third quarter of 2020.

Both companies will commit an additional $150 million to be put toward co-marketing, product development, technology, and employee training.

"We are thrilled to partner with Google to provide the smart home market with a strong, differentiated product and service offering that integrates the best technology, hardware and smart home security expertise from our two brands." said Jim DeVries, President and CEO of ADT.

ADT plans to offer specific Google devices to its customers beginning this year, but the bulk of integration is scheduled to take place in 2021. It isn't yet clear what's going to happen to the "Blue by ADT" line of HomeKit-ready security cameras.

In January, Google pushed to migrate Nest users over to using Google accounts. The search company failed to support the Apple TV version of the Nest app properly by failing to allow migrated customers to log in on Apple's streaming set-top box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Google as creepy security guard, except this one watches everyone, everywhere and gets paid to sell the information on you.
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Google as creepy security guard, except this one watches everyone, everywhere and gets paid to sell the information on you.
    Perhaps the really rich thieves can pay Google for the info on the best places to rob eh?  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Did any of this come up at the Congressional hearings Google was involved in? Follow the money trail. Who ends up benefiting from Google spreading its tentacles into yet another area with access not only to user's personal information but physical access to their homes and businesses. Is Google receiving money from the FBI and NSA? If not now will these organizations, along with Police departments, start tossing some money in their direction to get preferred access to ADT data?

Luckily I dumped my Nest hardware when they were bought by Google and will never use a service like ADT. If a burglar wants to get into my house they will find a way to bypass any home security device and nowadays police are less likely to even respond to a call so why throw away money?
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I threw away an ADT flyer last week primarily due to data collection and retention concerns. Though several neighbors subscribe to ADT I could not justify becoming a subscriber. Reading that Google is now partnering with ADT let me know that I dodged a bullet.

Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rob53 said:
    Did any of this come up at the Congressional hearings Google was involved in? Follow the money trail. Who ends up benefiting from Google spreading its tentacles into yet another area with access not only to user's personal information but physical access to their homes and businesses. Is Google receiving money from the FBI and NSA? If not now will these organizations, along with Police departments, start tossing some money in their direction to get preferred access to ADT data?

Luckily I dumped my Nest hardware when they were bought by Google and will never use a service like ADT. If a burglar wants to get into my house they will find a way to bypass any home security device and nowadays police are less likely to even respond to a call so why throw away money?
    Buy arms instead and get trained. The police won’t be coming if you’re in a large coastal city.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    rob53 said:

How does Google buying a 6.6% stake in ADT have anything to do with monopolies?

"Who ends up benefiting from Google spreading its tentacles into yet another area ..?"

Why are you exposed to Google seeking partnerships and expanding their business just like all other businesses do? Are there any other companies out there that you wish to see stay the same size or get smaller? Or is it just Google?

Also, as I mentioned on another post, collecting user data is perfectly legal. Which means ... that Google is far from the only company that does it. And that tons of other companies who do so are far less scrupulous. Google is a Fortune 25 company. They don't need data for any purpose other than targeting ads. However, the many other companies who would have paid just as much for access to data would not have used it for targeting ads. They would acquire the data and sell it because - unlike Google - they have no other real way of monetizing it.
    gatorguyomar morales
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Lets all be clear about this.

Google is not buying part of ADT. Google is buying YOUR SECURITY SYSTEM DATA.

If you have an ADT system, then you really need to think long an hard about sending it to recycling.

Google really are on the offensive. Their appetite for your life's data seems to be infinite. They want to end up so deeply entwined in your life that you won't be able to open a window at your home without them knowing all about it within seconds.
    Is this the world we want to live in? Google is Big Brother in all but name.

I certainly don't.
    MacProDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Google (and microsoft) seem to keep forgetting to not compete with their distributors.

On the surface it seems like a great idea to be more direct with consumers, the reality is that the rest of the industry drops your product in response.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Google (and microsoft) seem to keep forgetting to not compete with their distributors.

On the surface it seems like a great idea to be more direct with consumers, the reality is that the rest of the industry drops your product in response.
    No one but Google was marketing the Nest Secure security system altho some security provider was offering it as an option and it could have been ADT. It doesn't compete with any of the OEM's AFAICT. Same with the Nest Protect smoke detectors which will be included in certain packages.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I’ll need to recheck this but I think ADT is a horrible company. They run their money through one of the island nations (incorporated there) so as to avoid fair taxation. And people bitch about Apple in Ireland. If this hasn’t changed it’s a pretty dirty bedfellow for Google.
    badmonkDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member
    Google was fined several billion € in Europe for various privacy violations. Stop using Google "services". Do not buy any Google "products".  Do not do business with criminals.
    rotateleftbyteDogpersonwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I’ll need to recheck this but I think ADT is a horrible company. They run their money through one of the island nations (incorporated there) so as to avoid fair taxation. And people bitch about Apple in Ireland. If this hasn’t changed it’s a pretty dirty bedfellow for Google.
    It was owned by Johnson Controls who has been headquartered in Cork for a number of years. It became a private company more than a year ago and no longer part of Johnson.
    jony0
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jguther said:
    Google was fined several billion € in Europe for various privacy violations.
    It wasn't. You didn't look.

The $Billions in "fines" were for competition reasons and not privacy violations. France did fine them a few million over privacy but they were stretching IMO, much as they have when Apple got a fine of over a $B for violating French competition law.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 14 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    As an ADT customer locked into a bad contract and confused poorly organized customer service for my system, this does not make Alphabet look good.  Likewise, I was very disheartened when I saw that Protection One (whom I liked in my previous home) and ADT merged.

As soon as SimplySafe has home kit integration, I am switching over.
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    I use the Honeywell Lyric which currently has HomeKit integration that works great. In order to activate it, you have to sign up with a monitoring service. I used Alarmgrid out of Florida as they have no contract and you can sign up for one month, get HomeKit integration cancel the next month and still have HomeKit integration. I elected to stay with the monitoring because of firmware updates and DIY support but it’s not necessary for HomeKit. 
    Dogpersonwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    rob53 said:

Buy arms instead and get trained. The police won’t be coming if you’re in a large coastal city.
    Nah that’s just rural bullshit you made up. Defunding the police means giving them less money to waste on things they shouldn’t be doing (an action similar to how party likes to defund education, oddly). Police have a proper role and that includes calls for criminal service like break-ins.

Also, the entire point of security monitoring is...when you’re not home. Your John Wayne BS won’t help you there. 
    edited August 2020