European Apple Pay partner Boon is shutting down in October

Posted:
in General Discussion
Digital banking service and European Apple Pay partner Boon announced on Monday that it would be shutting down in October 2020.

Credit: Wirecard
Credit: Wirecard

Boon has been an Apple Pay partner since 2016, offering contactless payment options and virtual credit cards in a handful of European countries.

In a tweet, the banking company announced that they would be discontinuing service starting on Oct. 3, 2020.

Dear boon.ies, with a heavy heart we have to inform you that we will discontinue the service of boon. as of 03.10.2020.
You will receive all information via e-mail or find them here: https://t.co/KIaTdkgMqG.
We wish you all the best for the future! Your https://t.co/2M5TOnrNYw pic.twitter.com/s9P1WG9DOn

-- boon (@boon_official)

The Boon announcement comes on the heels of its parent company, Wirecard, filing for insolvency after a series of financial scandals, Reuters reported.

Boon advises that users should spend all of their cash before the Oct. 3 date. Although users can request a withdrawal past the shutdown, Boon will charge a monthly fee for holding existing credit. It has also disabled its automatic top-up feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    I liked and used boon, main reason being that my bank doesn’t support ApplePay yet/ever. I always found the user interface friendly and easy to use. The “auto-top up” feature was nice. Pity, that Wirecard turned out to be this embarrassing and run by criminals. 
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Boon made Boom!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    I liked and used boon, main reason being that my bank doesn’t support ApplePay yet/ever. I always found the user interface friendly and easy to use. The “auto-top up” feature was nice. Pity, that Wirecard turned out to be this embarrassing and run by criminals. 
    I'm quite happy with Revolut to always have some "cash" on my watch; including a 2-3 different currencies.
    superklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    svanstrom said:
    I'm quite happy with Revolut to always have some "cash" on my watch; including a 2-3 different currencies.
    Yes, that was one option for me, too. In the end, I went with N26. App is less polished than boon. I might look into revolution, however the most recent reviews appear complain a lot about how the app degraded in terms of user friendliness. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    svanstrom said:
    Yes, that was one option for me, too. In the end, I went with N26. App is less polished than boon. I might look into revolution, however the most recent reviews appear complain a lot about how the app degraded in terms of user friendliness. 
    I just refill money when needed, and that's it; I don't see the purpose of spending time in the app beyond that.
    watto_cobra