OWC undercuts Apple's $699 Mac Pro wheels with $199 conversion kit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
OWC has begun accepting preorders for it's Rover Pro wheel kit that allows you to easily add wheels to your Mac Pro for less than a third of the cost of Apple's add-on wheel kit.

OWC Rover Pro Mac Pro wheels

If you've ever wanted to swap between wheels-on and wheels-off mode on your Mac Pro, but don't want to shell out the money for Apple's add-on wheels, OWC has got you covered with a new solution. A handy wheel conversion kit allows you to make your Mac Pro more mobile for a fraction of the cost.

The Rover Pro wheels can be installed in under two minutes and require no special tools. Just screw them on to your Mac Pro's factory feet and tighten them by hand. When you're done moving your computer, removing the wheels can be done in a few minutes as well. If you plan on keeping the wheels on permanently and still want a bit of extra security, the Rover Pro Kit includes wheel stops. The wheel stops clip to the casters to prevent movement, perfect for tile, laminate, and hardwood floors.

OWC's wheels feature 360-degree articulation, non-marking soft rubber tread and low friction bearings, and a highly polished stainless steel look to match the Mac Pro.

OWC's Rover Pro kit is available for preorder for $199, with the wheels shipping at some point in September. Once the pre-order period is over, the price will rise to $249.99

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Aaaa cool so basically it's not possible to make cheap wheels for the Mac Pro...good for them to support Apple's price decision. Stupid.
    These look cheap af fo that price.

OMG and don't get me started with how ugly the Mac pro looks on them.

And no I'm not defending Apples Mac Pro prices. I'd never buy something so overpriced like the Mac pro. But THIS here is not it, if you want to offer something more appealing and less expensive.
    edited August 2020 caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Still a lot for four small wheels. They’re just casters, for a computer. 
    edited August 2020 maltzCloudTalkin
  • Reply 3 of 12
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member

And with these we have three cool price points and three significantly different designs. Everybody happy now? 

;)
    Oferrazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 12
    colinngcolinng Posts: 116member
    Come on, Apple, start innovating! Your Pro Stand for USD$999 is not innovative! We demand a Wheeled Pro Stand for USD$1,899!!! 

And what's with your prices? I mean the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard costs as much as an iPad itself! If you don't fix the pricing on your Mac Pro Keyboard and Trackpad, and start charging properly (it should cost as much as an iMac), you're leaving money on the table! No, you're basically giving the product away! 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    Aaaa cool so basically it's not possible to make cheap wheels for the Mac Pro...good for them to support Apple's price decision. Stupid.

And no I'm not defending Apples Mac Pro prices. I'd never buy something so overpriced like the Mac pro. But THIS here is not it, if you want to offer something more appealing and less expensive.
    If Apple had come out with $200 wheels people would still complain and bring out some inexpensive wheel from Home Depot as proof that Apple is ripping off customers. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    OferOfer Posts: 239unconfirmed, member
    Xed said:

If Apple had come out with $200 wheels people would still complain and bring out some inexpensive wheel from Home Depot as proof that Apple is ripping off customers. 
    And they would be right to complain. Are you telling me that you feel that $700 or even $200 is price-appropriate for what are simply wheeled casters that attach to the bottom of a computer? This is absurd. $50 would be close to reasonable.
    CloudTalkincolinng
  • Reply 7 of 12
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    Ofer said:
    Xed said:

And they would be right to complain. Are you telling me that you feel that $700 or even $200 is price-appropriate for what are simply wheeled casters that attach to the bottom of a computer? This is absurd. $50 would be close to reasonable.
    Then it sounds like you have a business opportunity to undercut the market for exactly the same quality and functionality as others offer. May I also suggest products from Huawei and Kai as being "just as good" as Apple, if that's how your value system works.
    mwhiteStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Frankly, I like my Mac Pros even more mobile... here is the perfect solution and only $2,699 per seat.

edited August 2020 StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Ofer said:
    Xed said:

If you don't think $200 is appropriate for pro gear accessories, don't get into film or videography.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    Xed said:
    Ofer said:
    Xed said:

Then it sounds like you have a business opportunity to undercut the market for exactly the same quality and functionality as others offer. May I also suggest products from Huawei and Kai as being "just as good" as Apple, if that's how your value system works.
    Oh wait, those apple wheels will be made of gold with anti scratch capabilities and each have an Apple silicon inside to help the processing power of the machine, plus a T2 security chip. That explains why they are rather pricey, I got it;) 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I’m waiting for tank treads
    watto_cobra