You are cordially invited to Steve Wozniak's 70th birthday

Posted:
in General Discussion
Woz's wife Janet Wozniak is holding an online "11-days of Wozdom," celebrating her husband's 70th birthday and also raising funds for the charity Jewel's Inspiring Children Foundation.

Artwork for the
Artwork for the "11 Days of Wozdom" events

It's being billed as Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak's "surprise birthday" party, so keep this to yourself for now. But on his 70th birthday, August 11, there will be streaming events -- and then 11 days of "daily challenges," including a scavenger hunt with new and retro Apple prizes, including an iPhone.

"Join us for an unforgettable night of music, entertainment, stories & heartfelt expressions of love, for an extraordinary man who has dedicated his life to making other people's lives better," says the special birthday website.

"Help us celebrate a man who has impacted so many by helping him save and transform more children's lives," it continues, "through his favorite charity, Jewel's Inspiring Children Foundation."

Across the whole 11-day event, there will be prizes given out that include new Apple products -- and retro ones too. The new ones include an iPhone and some model of MacBook, which Woz is apparently buying especially for the event. He's paying retail prices, too, minus his Apple employee 10% discount.

Reportedly, Janet Wozniak threw Woz a real, actual surprise birthday party for his 60th. Now for the 70th, she's moved it online and invited everyone. Some people did get an invitation before you, though, including musician Jewel, founder of the charity the Wozniaks are supporting.

Also already RSVPd are more stars from music including Chris Rock and Emylou Harris. "Star Trek" is represented by William Shatner, Marina Sirtis, and George Takei. Then comedy star Jay Leno, businessman Richard Branson, and politicians including Nancy Pelosi are coming.

They and around 50 more will be bringing what the organizing team say will fill the virtual surprise party "music, comedy, magic, and stories." The event is to be streamed across the special website, on Twitter, and on Twitch, all from 17:00 PDT on August 11.

Beginning then and continuing until August 21, there will be a daily social media challenge based around various themes to do with Woz's life. Some days will be devoted to his efforts on "Dancing with the Stars," while others will be around "The Big Bang Theory," and "Star Trek." The final one is headed "Build a Gadget."

One example challenge is already online, with a tribute from Jonathan Mann, known for writing and releasing a song every day, to Woz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    This is amazing! :D I had no idea Woz was 70. My respect for him is above and beyond that for anyone else, he's an incredibly smart guy with a huge heart. And without him, tech wouldn't be where it is today. 
    edited August 2020 davgregDogperson
  • Reply 2 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I appreciate what he did early in his career, but most of the time now I just wish he was less of a spotlight and attention hound.
    ralphielolliver
  • Reply 3 of 8
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    In 1985 Steve Wozniak left Apple.

At just half his age of today: he quit, ran his mouth off and sold most of his stock. Being totally fair Apple were not in a good position at that time and I doubt he was being treated well.
    However this is SteveW's legacy, he left a failing company that by a miracle of chances turned its fortunes around. He had nothing to do with that success.

SteveW is not owed fanfare.
    Steve W's opinions on Apple topics are irrelevant. Apple has consistently proven his views wrong.
    SteveW's constant leveraging of Apple's success - a success that he's had no part in - is tiresome.

This 70th birthday press circus is just another pathetic example of SteveW trying to use the modern successful Apple as a reason for his own personal legitimacy. 

ralphieJapheylolliver
  • Reply 4 of 8
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member

At just half his age of today: he quit, ran his mouth off and sold most of his stock. Being totally fair Apple were not in a good position at that time and I doubt he was being treated well.
    However this is SteveW's legacy, he left a failing company that by a miracle of chances turned its fortunes around. He had nothing to do with that success.

Steve W's opinions on Apple topics are irrelevant. Apple has consistently proven his views wrong.
    SteveW's constant leveraging of Apple's success - a success that he's had no part in - is tiresome.

This 70th birthday press circus is just another pathetic example of SteveW trying to use the modern successful Apple as a reason for his own personal legitimacy. 

What??  There would probably be no Apple computer  without Woz.   And no iPhone or Mac. History would be completely different and your only choice might be Microsoft.  Think about that,  is that what you want?
    Hank2.0davgregDogpersonelijahgpulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Anyone who thinks the original Apple computer is the only worthwhile thing Steve Wozniak ever did in his life, should take the time to read Wikipedia for a good, and lengthy, summary of "the Woz". Then ask yourself what you've done with your life to date. 
    davgregDogpersonelijahgpulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 8
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member

I beg to differ, without Woz there would be no Apple for Steve Jobs to have gained his career. Jobs could not have done the HW that made the company and Apple was not a failure or a failing company when he left the building.

Yes, he is a gadfly as was Jobs and many others that leave a dent on the universe.

elijahg
  • Reply 7 of 8

Troll much? 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I’ve come to realize that the most powerful currency in life is peace of mind, honesty, and good cheer. By all accounts, having an impact on human lives, being kind towards others, and being content with oneself, Woz is a special and humble inspiration. If you watch the show ( still on wozBday.com ) even the most skeptical of human beings will see how joyful, kind and giving Woz is. I especially loved seeing how much he appreciated his wife, and her surprise, and all the friends that came out to honor him in such a profound way. Andy Hurtzfeld comments were extraordinary and demonstrated what a gem he is. Scully’s comments were so well made. Jewel was a great host and the children the Wozniak’s help really brought a lot of heart. Years ago a friend suggested I read his book Iwoz. Knowing little of the history I was blown away to read about his joyful and kind nature. Then every major film and documentary has backed up the reality that Steve Wozniak was the real hero. Always looking to help and celebrate others. No doubt Steve Jobs was a creative genius and masterful entrepreneur and visionary,, but it was Woz’s revolutionary creation which took years to create that made the platform of Apple possible. You can not under estimate the importance of the inventors. More importantly Woz’s best attributes are the way he treats other peoooe and his genuine love for life. Not only did he personally invent the personal conputer in its APPLE I form, then APPLE II among many other contributions, he graciously made it a team effort and let others share in the credit for his creations. His humility to stay in the backdrop is unprecedented and something I’ve come to see as a rare trait; a sign of innate confidence and goodness. Giving his own stock away to others who weren’t given any...., having worked on Wall Street I have never heard of anyone doing that. I find it very telling that his wife surprised him by giving him the gift he loves the most; helping other people. If you saw the love and joy in that video, how Woz’s friends really appreciate him (no phony compliments) and how the children they help appreciate Woz and his wife ....and the way they treat each other, it will warm your heart. I’m still feeling it and it gives me hope for humanity. I realize there are many people that are superficial and have ulterior motives which is why it’s so refreshing to know people like the Wozniak’s really exist.
    spock1234