The 'Apple Car' may be able to detect, warn drivers of cracked windows

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    It’s pretty clear that everyone has missed them point. Apple Car is going to be made with structural glass, similar to what some Apple Stores use. Basically a bubble of glass. Sure, you’ll see a large crack in your windshield but you may miss the tiny, hairline fractures at a critical juncture of structural glass and chassis. Obvious.
    That sounds kinda silly and extremely dangerous.  Structural glass in an immovable object like a building is a far cry from structural glass in an automobile.  Glass as a substrate in an automobile makes no sense at all.  I doubt it would pass any safety test.  It would also be extremely heavy to get the equivalent strength of a steel or aluminum structure.  That is obvious.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    It’s pretty clear that everyone has missed them point. Apple Car is going to be made with structural glass, similar to what some Apple Stores use. Basically a bubble of glass. Sure, you’ll see a large crack in your windshield but you may miss the tiny, hairline fractures at a critical juncture of structural glass and chassis. Obvious.
    That sounds kinda silly and extremely dangerous.  Structural glass in an immovable object like a building is a far cry from structural glass in an automobile.  Glass as a substrate in an automobile makes no sense at all.  I doubt it would pass any safety test.  It would also be extremely heavy to get the equivalent strength of a steel or aluminum structure.  That is obvious.
    I guess some people really do require “/s”.
    razorpitfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    I guess some people really do require “/s”.
    Not when it's done right.  ;)
  • Reply 24 of 26
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    Back here in states where we have winter, a chip either stays dormant or becomes a creative map across your windshield as soon as you turn on your defrosters in the fall. No cause for alarm.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The image AI used seems to have thrown most people.  I suspect the tech is for an invisible to the eye microfracture that could, if the screen were hit again by say a pebble, shatter far worse.  Knowing this in advance could enable a repair prior to a long journey where such a mishap would be a royal PITA.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra