Apple rumored to announce 'iPhone 12' in October, Apple Watch and iPad in September

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2020
Serial leaker Jon Prosser on Wednesday narrowed down this fall's expected Apple Watch, iPhone and iPad product launches to near exact dates, saying the company will break with tradition and announce changes to at least two major product lines in a September press release.

In a tweet, Prosser claimed Apple plans to debut an anticipated "Apple Watch Series 6" and next-generation iPad models through a press release to be issued in the week starting Sep. 7. The leaker failed to specify which tablets are slated for unveiling, though current rumors point to a 10.8-inch iPad Air and refreshed iPad mini.

Distancing Apple Watch from Apple's flagship iPhone line by announcing it separately -- and in a press release, no less -- would be an odd step for the company. That said, Apple is also rumored to be working on so-called "Apple Glass" AR glasses that could be ripe for announcement this fall.

Apple's annual iPhone event is scheduled for the week of Oct. 12, Prosser said, adding that the company will break its "iPhone 12" launch into two phases. Mid-tier "iPhone 12" handsets will go up for preorder during the week of Oct. 19, followed by top-tier "Pro" handsets sometime in November, according to the tweet.

"With the staggered release of iPhone 12 and uncertainty of final dates for Pro models, there's a chance that the dates could slip/change," Prosser said in a follow-up tweet.

A potential staggered launch timeline was first reported by Digitimes last week. At the time, sources from within Apple's supply chain reportedly said the tech giant could launch two 6.1-inch models in a first phase and 6.7- and 5.4-inch devices in the second.

Apple CFO Luca Maestri in an earnings conference call in July confirmed iPhone would launch a "few weeks later" than usual, intimating a release date in October or beyond.

Apple is expected to launch four "iPhone 12" models across multiple price points. More affordable 5.4- and 6.1-inch "iPhone 12" models are rumored to sport OLED screens, dual cameras, an "A14" processor and aluminum chassis. Top-end 6.1- and 6.7-inch "iPhone Pro" handsets add upgraded displays -- potentially with Pro Motion technology -- an extra camera and, on the largest "iPhone 12 Pro Max" model, a LiDAR Scanner. All 2020 iPhones should boast 5G connectivity.

Prosser is known for delivering accurate leaks, though he has published erroneous information, the most recent being pictures of a purportedly functional AirPower charging mat. Those images were later debunked, though claims from other prominent leakers suggest Apple is indeed working on a new AirPower device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Hope AAPL stays up at (or close to) its current levels. The rollout seems perfectly timed for a terrific Christmas for self, family, and friends! :-D
    hippo
  • Reply 2 of 14
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 931member
    Hope AAPL stays up at (or close to) its current levels. The rollout seems perfectly timed for a terrific Christmas for self, family, and friends! :-D
    It’s share price is going to drop by 75% soon. Doomed!
    bageljoeybeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 14
    JFC_PA said:
    It’s share price is going to drop by 75% soon. Doomed!
    LOL! Yes, it certainly will. I can tell you the exact date it will happen, too: 31 August 2020!   ;)

BTW, nicely played, sir!
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    As long as QCOM is inside, my wallet will be open and ready.
    lkrupphippo
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Considering Apple admitted iPhone 12 would ship in October this leaker used Apple’s well known formula of announcing iPhones on the second Tuesday after Labor Day in September or the second Tuesday of the month in October to leak October 12.  If Apple announces a different date (due to the pandemic) the leaker most likely would pull a Mark Gurman and claim Apple changed the date because he leaked it instead of accepting he got it wrong. Then next year AppleInsider and others would forget the error and claim prolific leaker once again and move onward with more leaks. 
    hippo
  • Reply 6 of 14

Rumor mills are supposed to agonize people to such extend that they gaspingly and whiningly, will take every iPhone that comes out before November even though it only supports only 3G and has the inevitable 6 design - milked until its inverse weight - again.

That is, if Tim Cook serves it as new and revolutionary (just before people fall Zzz again) 

edited August 2020 lkruppGrayeagle
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    Even if they have staggered ship dates, I would expect all the phones to be announced at the same time.
    randominternetpersonhippo
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I heard a rumor that a prominent leaker is going to tweet a cryptic comment related to the release dates next week!  But it's just a rumor.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,034member
    Having bought a new Apple desktop, laptop, iPad Pro and iPad mini in the last 8 months, my interest is in the new Apple Watch.
    I am in the Apple program for the iPhone and have the Pro model, not sure if I will keep and pay off the one I have or opt to take the new one.

I am interested in Macs running Apple silicon, but otherwise am OK. I love my iPad Pro and the trackpad keyboard, so it would take some big thing to make me trade.
    hippo
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I'm skeptical about the iPad Mini rumor… I'd love, love, love to buy one with the "pro design language," but they update it about once every three years and the current model is pretty fresh…
    hippoGrayeagle
  • Reply 11 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Month here, month there. Does it matter ? It doesn't. So, why waste time debating ?
    hippo
  • Reply 12 of 14
    wood1208 said:
    Month here, month there. Does it matter ? It doesn't. So, why waste time debating ?
    It will matter for revenue reported during the holiday quarter, and therefore, possibly, the stock price (even if temporarily).
    Grayeagle
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Waiting to announce the iPhone while announcing more “minor” products is just not Apple. Everyone anticipates the September keynote and announcement. When the 8/8+ and X were announced it was the same day, even though the X was delayed until November 
    mike1
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Really hoping the 5.4" is available ASAP. 
    My 7 is starting to act up with some charging cords.  
    Very happy the smaller footprint phones will be an option again and cant wait to get one in my pocket.