Nobody will win the Apple versus Epic Fortnite battle, not even consumers

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    dewme said:
    Very well written piece. You paint a pretty good picture that Epic orchestrated this entire “grievance” quite intentionally. 
    It is almost as if... Now that the Fortnite bubble has burst that Epic wants someone to buy them out. Then the bosses can retire to a tropical island on the proceeds.
    The next Apple Arcade title?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 91
    kmarei said:
    igorsky said:
    The day I get to dictate what price I pay to sell stuff on eBay, Amazon, Etsy, Poshmark, Walmart, a flea market, etc. to the owners of those marketplaces is the day I side with these developers.  Until then they can all take a flying leap.
    …subscriptions being charged 30% by Apple is a rip off, plain and simple. And an abuse of their power as the only App Store you can get on their products, google is not the same, because you can download fortnite directly to your android phone, without going through play store.
    sure that’s why it’s much easier to infect an android, but that also puts google in a much better place as they are NOT  a monopoly.
    Apple saying we want 30% cut on anything sold on the App Store is completely, and justifiably owed to Apple . Fair and square.
    They run the Apple store, they pay hosting, they pay for staff, they check every app to make sure it’s safe
    which is why they have the best App Store out there.
    but subscriptions are not the same  case.
    So if I sell my App for to Apple for $70 and they sell to their customers for $100, that’s OK by you but if I go for a rentware model at $7/month then Apple shouldn’t be able to sell it for $10/month? Where’s your logic?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 91
    How would consumers not win? Say Epic wins and they get the fee reduced, the ability for direct payments, or more hopefully, we get full sideloading on iOS. For the first situation we could get cheaper apps, as developers could reduce the price of the apps themselves or the price of In App Purchases, something good for the consumer. For the second we got proof that it would be better for the consumer, as the price of V-Bucks was cheaper with the option for directly purchasing the V-Bucks from Epic rather than through Apple's processor. For the third consumers wouldn't be beholden to the App Store. Stadia and Xcloud would be usable on iOS, Much more open source development could occur on iOS because developers wouldn't have to subscribe to a $100 fee to host their apps on the store. Hell, with sideloading we could get app stores that actually show off more than regurgitate the top apps of each category.
    Sideloading isn’t a win for consumers, it introduces significant security risks.

I suppose macOS is a security risk then?
    Currently, yes. Hopefully Apple Silicon Apps will only be deployable via the Mac App Store.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 91
    Sideloading isn’t a win for consumers, it introduces significant security risks.
    In any other product, your statement would be laughed at. "Installing your own GPU isn't a win for consumers, it introduces significant electrocution risks". "Replacing your own headlights in your car isn't a win for consumers, it introduces significant visibility risks". Look at the Mac. You can install third party apps and it hasn't introduced "significant security risks". But choice is apparently something you're scared of when it comes to a pocketable computer. You have to have Apple decide everything for you.
    docbburk said:
    Are you mad?  You are only looking at Epic, and dreaming that all developers would be 100% on the up and up.  Here’s a big part of the down side: 1) it would allow any company making apps an opportunity to get your payment information without a check to see how secure they keep that info, and without the protection from unauthorized payments that Apple gives you.  2) Side loading apps and all these “app stores you talk about are also opportunities to get malware and viruses on your phone, going around the protections Apple has for us, making it far less secure, like Android with less google vacuuming of personal info.  Add that to your comment and you get a fuller picture.  It looks a lot more like Epic is just trying to push public opinion in their favor hoping for a reduction of the fees. If you want that kind of risk, buy an android phone and quit crying.   
    1. Good thing there's a choice to use Apple's payment processor. Or do you assume companies are stupid enough to not provide a choice? 2. If only people didn't have 20 IQ when using technology then we wouldn't have an issue with malware. Don't use alternate app stores then. If you get any kind of malware then you have no business using a computer IMO. 
    mjtomlin said:
    The App Store is widely successful because of the way it is run, not in spite of it. The App Store is extremely consumer friendly because of its ease of use compared to what users had to do before to find, download and install apps on their own. Opening iOS to side loading will not bring the price of apps down - that's a great thought, but history has proven that prices would probably go up, due to the fact that they would probably sell far fewer copies due to lack of exposure on the always present App Store.

If anything happens, more than likely it will involve services that users can subscribe to... Apple will be forced to allow developers to direct users to their websites where they can then subscribe without going through Apple's payment system. That will be the first step.
    What history has been proven and what exposure does the App Store give to developers? I've never found an app because of the App Store that I wouldn't have found otherwise. You have You have some categories that show off the same top games every week. Glad to see that Apple is showcasing the unknown apps of... COD Mobile, Monopoly, Madden NFL, and Subway Surfers. Their "Apps of the Day" aren't any better. Wow, glad to see that the terrible Crunchyroll app is showcased there. Oh wow, the unknown apps of Overdrive and nu-Overdrive, Libby. How about Slack, Zoom, and Teams to help you "Connect With Your Coworkers"? Evernote and Pocket and 1Password. Those apps have never been on the front page of the App Store! How many times has The Seven Deadly Sins game been featured as Game of the Day, Featured Game, or in a collection of Top Games? Oh look, Duolingo. Ring, TED, Super Mario Run. What great apps that I never would have known about without the excellent curation of the App Store! Thank you Apple!
    mcdave said:
    Currently, yes. Hopefully Apple Silicon Apps will only be deployable via the Mac App Store.
    People are begging for the Apple silicon Macs to be locked down. That's really sad. Why would anyone want less freedom to do what they want with THEIR computers? Why are Apple users begging for less choice on hardware that costs thousands of dollars? Apple isn't giving away their products for free, yet people are crying for Apple to take away options for them. I'm honestly disgusted to use a platform where people like this exist, because Apple is going to see the feedback from the sheep and implement their desires. I really don't see why 5+ years of support is good if you get less features over that time.
    cflcardsfan80muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 85 of 91
    mcdave said:
    People are begging for the Apple silicon Macs to be locked down. That's really sad. Why would anyone want less freedom to do what they want with THEIR computers? Why are Apple users begging for less choice on hardware that costs thousands of dollars? Apple isn't giving away their products for free, yet people are crying for Apple to take away options for them. I'm honestly disgusted to use a platform where people like this exist, because Apple is going to see the feedback from the sheep and implement their desires. I really don't see why 5+ years of support is good if you get less features over that time.
    You know that good ol' saying of don't let the door hit you on the way out? Well… you know where the door is. :smile: 

Why is it your problem that other people want more and simpler security?

It's a damn computer, so it's not like they're asking for a police state; they just want products that simply do what they're supposed to do, and where there are proper incentives to get all apps vetted (so no "you just have to do [this] to bypass the security to install this app"). So why can't you let them get what they want without crying about how sad it makes you that everyone else are so stupid for wanting something different than what you want?

Personally I probably couldn't use a locked down product like that as I'm professionally relying heavily on the UN*X-like foundation of MacOS; but that doesn't mean that I have to decry everyone else's want for something like that.
    liqoricewatto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 91
    DaRevDaRev Posts: 28member
    Apple should be ending the sale of Crates, and only support full game purchases, or apps with subscriptions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 91
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    “...not even consumers...”?

Of course not. When have end-users/customers ever benefitted from corporatists playing corporatism games? It’s very rare, and is basically an exception to the rule.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    The problem is Apple calling out to Epic to negotiate.  

Do small developers get this kind of treatment?  They’re stuck with that 30% whereas the big boys might negotiate 15%.  Not exactly a level playing field...
    Where are you getting "negotiate"?  Who says Apple is negotiating with Apple?  Source?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 91
    mcdave said:
    The problem is Apple calling out to Epic to negotiate.  

Do small developers get this kind of treatment?  They’re stuck with that 30% whereas the big boys might negotiate 15%.  Not exactly a level playing field...
    Volume discounting has been standard practice forever and if vendors choose to build niche products at high unit prices so why should the commodity end of the market forego it’s discounting?
    Apple needs to be more consistent with its application of bulk pricing.
    What are you talking about with "constant"?  Apple is 100% constant - 30% for any developer selling digital goods, in app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 91
    mcdave said:
    How would consumers not win? Say Epic wins and they get the fee reduced, the ability for direct payments, or more hopefully, we get full sideloading on iOS. For the first situation we could get cheaper apps, as developers could reduce the price of the apps themselves or the price of In App Purchases, something good for the consumer. For the second we got proof that it would be better for the consumer, as the price of V-Bucks was cheaper with the option for directly purchasing the V-Bucks from Epic rather than through Apple's processor. For the third consumers wouldn't be beholden to the App Store. Stadia and Xcloud would be usable on iOS, Much more open source development could occur on iOS because developers wouldn't have to subscribe to a $100 fee to host their apps on the store. Hell, with sideloading we could get app stores that actually show off more than regurgitate the top apps of each category.

I suppose macOS is a security risk then?
    NO!  A Mac computer is not an appliance like an iPhone/iPad/AppleTV.
  • Reply 91 of 91

mcdave said:
    You seem to be under the illusion that choice & freedom are somehow synonymous. This is only true when you determine your options which almost never happens & certainly not with tech.  When you get to choose from someone else’s options, you’re the puppet, not the master. I thought we all worked that out as kids.
    Would I trade your false-liberty for security, simplicity, stability & quality? Every time!
    (Happy voting by the way)
    watto_cobra