Apple halts iOS 13.6 code signing following iOS 13.6.1 release

Posted:
in iOS
Apple on Wednesday stopped signing code for iOS 13.6, effectively preventing users who updated to the latest iOS 13.6.1 release from downgrading.

Issued last week, iOS 13.6.1 includes a handful of bug fixes including a patch for a thermal management issue that would in some cases cause an iPhone's screen to display a green tint.

The release also remedied a problem with Exposure Notification alerts and an issue that prevented the deletion of unused system files.

Today's code signing stoppage means users can no longer download the out-of-date iOS 13.6 operating system from Apple's servers. Apple regularly ceases signing of older code to prevent installation of past iOS versions following the release of a new version in a bid to keep users safe from new threats. The practice also ensures devices are running the latest feature-rich software.

Apple on Wednesday seeded the fifth public beta of iOS 14. The next-generation operating system will debut alongside new iPhones this fall, delivering fresh features like home screen widgets, a new App Library, security enhancements, Siri improvements and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This just in. The law firm of Screwd and Looze has filed suit against Apple for anticompetitive actions, in particular, "Monopolistic behaviour related to iOS and MacOS." In a statement released with the announcement Seymour Buttes, the lead attorney claimed, "We own our Apple devices. We should have the right to run any version of the software we want.  I should be able to put macOS 10.1 on my iPhone if I want to. Apple is arbitrarily reducing the value of customers devices by insisting they run the latest OS. Their excuse that it is "more secure" and "has more features" simply has no basis in fact."

/satire /sarcasm
    joerock1234spock1234beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 3
    DAalseth said:
    This just in. The law firm of Screwd and Looze has filed suit against Apple for anticompetitive actions, in particular, "Monopolistic behaviour related to iOS and MacOS." In a statement released with the announcement Seymour Buttes, the lead attorney claimed, "We own our Apple devices. We should have the right to run any version of the software we want.  I should be able to put macOS 10.1 on my iPhone if I want to. Apple is arbitrarily reducing the value of customers devices by insisting they run the latest OS. Their excuse that it is "more secure" and "has more features" simply has no basis in fact."

/satire /sarcasm
    How dare you hit us with that sarcasm but it sound so good🤣🤣🤣
  • Reply 3 of 3
    DAalseth said:

/satire /sarcasm
    This is what every single lawsuit about how "controlling" Apple is sounds like to me...