Apple closes above $2 trillion for first time

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's market capitalization reached an all-time high of $2.02 trillion at end of trading on Thursday.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The new milestone comes just one day after Apple become the first U.S. company to hit a $2 trillion market valuation during intra-day trading.

Shares of AAPL closed at $471.10 on Thursday.

The Cupertino tech giant is riding high after blowing away Wall Street expectations with better-than-expected June quarter earnings. Apple reported revenue of $59.7 billion for the quarter, despite the ongoing coronavirus health crisis, and announced an upcoming four-to-one stock split.

Apple became the first ever U.S. company to hit a $1 trillion market capitalization in August 2018. In June 2020, Apple became the first company to hit a $1.5 trillion market valuation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    OMG!  And that .023 above the 2 Trillion mark means they went over it by 23 BILLION. 
    Those are some crazy numbers!

Did I ever tell you about how I almost bought $10,000 worth of AAPL in 2000...
    Beatsanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    What did Apple really closed at?  In the AppleInsider Masthead I see, $473.40.  In the Stocks app, it closed at $473.10.  The article gives another figure.  I'm confused.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    macseeker said:
    What did Apple really closed at?  In the AppleInsider Masthead I see, $473.40.  In the Stocks app, it closed at $473.10.  The article gives another figure.  I'm confused.
    I suspect it’s just a typo in the AI article. Apple closed at $473.10 today. It’s up to nearly $475 in after-hours trading.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 4 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    bageljoey said:
    OMG!  And that .023 above the 2 Trillion mark means they went over it by 23 BILLION. 

Did I ever tell you about how I almost bought $10,000 worth of AAPL in 2000…
    At one point I saw it at $2.007 trillion. There are many very popular and successful companies worth less than $70 billion so it's crazy that it's practically a rounding error.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Congratulations to Apple!!!
    flyingdpwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    $2.02 trillion. That’s really something.
    flyingdpwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    What we need is a mathematical model to determine how Apple’s valuation affects the number of legal cases against it. 

The BecauseTheyCanAffordIt Formula
    edited August 2020 temperorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    $2.02 trillion. That’s really something.
    Indeed! It is not difficult to understand why everyone is trying to span a trial against Apple for everything you can think of.
    And they are shouting hypocritical: “It goes about the freedom...”, but we know for sure: It goes about the Apple’s money.
    aderutter
  • Reply 9 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple is a $2.13 trillion company as of today. Big upward spike.

There was a huge stock price drop at 5:30 PM PST down to $372.72, then an immediate bounce back up. I’m assuming someone sold off a massive block of stock in after hours trading and it was immediately sold.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 10 of 11
    bageljoey said:

Depending on when in 2000, that could be as "little" as $1M or as much as $5M today!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    bageljoey said:

Depending on when in 2000, that could be as "little" as $1M or as much as $5M today!
    Doesn’t matter what someone almost did. :smile: Only what they did.
    edited August 2020 lkruppwatto_cobra