Apple blocked WordPress for iOS updates until it agreed to in-app purchases [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    elijahg said:

I don't really understand why tech blogs are trying to associate this with antitrust issues. Apple isn't trying to prevent sales outside of the App Store. They just want their customers who use the App Store to have an opportunity to purchase in the app. That's not an unusual business practice. Amazon doesn't allow sellers to use Amazon's site to direct customers to an external purchase.
    Apple forcing developers to sell the same product for the same price via the App Store as they do on their own site. They aren't allowed to charge 30% more via the App Store to offset the Apple commission.
    You're mistaken about this part - app developers ARE allowed to charge less outside Apple's App Store.  They may not be able to advertise the other price *in the app*, but they are allowed to charge whatever they want, outside Apple's App Store (and many do).
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    nicholfd said:
    elijahg said:

I don't really understand why tech blogs are trying to associate this with antitrust issues. Apple isn't trying to prevent sales outside of the App Store. They just want their customers who use the App Store to have an opportunity to purchase in the app. That's not an unusual business practice. Amazon doesn't allow sellers to use Amazon's site to direct customers to an external purchase.
    Apple forcing developers to sell the same product for the same price via the App Store as they do on their own site. They aren't allowed to charge 30% more via the App Store to offset the Apple commission.
    You're mistaken about this part - app developers ARE allowed to charge less outside Apple's App Store.  They may not be able to advertise the other price *in the app*, but they are allowed to charge whatever they want, outside Apple's App Store (and many do).
    Ah thanks for that - I had read somewhere that wasn't the case.
    watto_cobra