Apple confirms plan to produce iPhone SE locally in India

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Monday confirmed plans to locally manufacture the iPhone SE in India, likely a part of a broader strategy to bolster its footprint in the country.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider


In June, the company reportedly told some of its China-based suppliers to begin shipping components for its most affordable handset to Indian manufacturing partners. The move would mitigate the heavy host of import taxes and duties in India.

An Apple spokesperson recently confirmed those plans to The Times of India, saying that the "iPhone SE packs our most powerful chip into our most popular size at our most affordable price and we're excited to be making it in India for our local customers."

Making the iPhone SE locally allows Apple to skirt the 20% import tax on foreign-made smartphones. However, there's still a price premium on the device in India, since it starts at 42,990 Indian rupees -- about $579 in U.S. dollars. That's well above its $399 price tag in the U.S.

According to the The Times, Apple supply chain partner Wistron is set to produce the iPhone SE at a plant near Bengaluru -- where the company already produces the iPhone 7. Apple partner Foxconn also has an assembly unit in India, though it is not involved with iPhone SE production.

Apple is also reportedly planning on producing upcoming "iPhone 12" models within India's borders, with the first batch of locally made devices set to launch in mid-2021.

Although the iPhone maker has largely struggled to establish a supply chain in India, it has increasingly pushed existing suppliers to produce its devices in the country. Apple is also in the midst of broadening its retail footprint in India, with plans to open the first Indian Apple Store in 2021.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,470member
    Is the price quoted for India on the SE including VAT? If it does it is not an Apples to Apples comparison (no pun intended).  
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,544member
    Very simple. For a long term(unless China's strategy of shameless stealing IP, design,product copying than sell it cheaper and use it to dominate world commerce gets under control - which I doubt will ever happen), any place other than China to build products is better for the rest of world.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 3 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 2,531member
    wood1208 said:
    Very simple. For a long term(unless China's strategy of shameless stealing IP, design,product copying than sell it cheaper and use it to dominate world commerce gets under control - which I doubt will ever happen), any place other than China to build products is better for the rest of world.

    I hope so but my experience with Indian people has been terrible the past decade. I'm not sure they have better morals than China.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 830member
    chadbag said:
    Is the price quoted for India on the SE including VAT? If it does it is not an Apples to Apples comparison (no pun intended).  
    I hope so. It wouldn’t seem to make sense to sell it at a much higher price in India. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 154member
    How does "locally" equate to "India"?  Usa still needs jobs.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:
    Very simple. For a long term(unless China's strategy of shameless stealing IP, design,product copying than sell it cheaper and use it to dominate world commerce gets under control - which I doubt will ever happen), any place other than China to build products is better for the rest of world.

    I hope so but my experience with Indian people has been terrible the past decade. I'm not sure they have better morals than China.
    You’re not alone. Indian people have a sense of entitlement about them though I don’t know why that could be.  
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:
    Very simple. For a long term(unless China's strategy of shameless stealing IP, design,product copying than sell it cheaper and use it to dominate world commerce gets under control - which I doubt will ever happen), any place other than China to build products is better for the rest of world.

    I hope so but my experience with Indian people has been terrible the past decade. I'm not sure they have better morals than China.
    You’re not alone. Indian people have a sense of entitlement about them though I don’t know why that could be.  

    India has a population of 1.3 Billion people. Do you really think it makes sense to generalize the people of such large numbers into a narrow category like you guys are doing???
Sign In or Register to comment.