TSMC reveals potential performance, power improvements in 'A14' chipset

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    KITA said:
    tmay said:

Oh, and the Razer phone is a gaming phone, and isn't really comparable to Flagships in features, so not a good comparison.
    The Razer Phone happened to be a flagship phone that just happened to come from Razer. That would be like dismissing their laptops for productivity because the company is associated with gaming.

Going back to what the other user had said, suggesting that Apple led the industry to adopt high refresh rate displays is false.

Can't stand that knockoff company. Their CEO repeats Steve Jobs' lines and they pay professionals to use their crap.

In my industry they were paying people to pretend they liked their crappy knockoffs. At least their laptops look a little different than Apple's.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    tmay said:
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:
    30% is a huge jump - when was the last time we saw anything near that with Intel processors? Even if the actual jump is smaller it is still quite significant. Along with everyone else, I’m very curious to see what the new Macs can do. 

bluefire1 said:
    The best news about the upcoming iPhone 12 models is that they’ll all haveQualcomm inside.
    Why? I’ve yet to see what 5G will do for my iPhone beyond make it more expensive and power hungry. 
    30% decrease in power consumption while offering the same performance is going from N7 (A12) to N5.

So if we do N7P (A13) to N5 (assumed A14), then we have:

~22% power consumption decrease with the same performance

-OR-

~7.5% performance increase with the same power consumption
    I'm interested in the die size, transistor count, and the inevitable x-ray shot, which will give a good indication of the complexity and cost of the A14.

Not that it really matter, since I'm going to be ordering/preordering an iPhone 12 Pro Max when available, with the only unknown for me being the screen refresh rate; 60 Hz or 120 Hz.
    I bet they are targeting around 80 mm^2, same as the A12 on N7. 2 large cores, 4 small cores, 24 MB SLC, the equivalent of the A12Z GPU, and a 4 GB LPDDR5 POP. The dedicated neural unit and matrix math unit is bit of a mystery. They have not exposed the martix math unit to developers yet. So, maybe the A13 was test run, and used only internal, while the A14 will have an API that exposes that unit to developers.

The Mac silicon will be the really exciting parts though. An iGPU as fast as a 200W GPU? 16 to 32 performance cores? The packaging for the memory? The aforementioned scalable vector units? Lots of questions still. There's a lot of open design space for them.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    KITA said:
    tmay said:

Oh, and the Razer phone is a gaming phone, and isn't really comparable to Flagships in features, so not a good comparison.
    The Razer Phone happened to be a flagship phone that just happened to come from Razer. That would be like dismissing their laptops for productivity because the company is associated with gaming.

Going back to what the other user had said, suggesting that Apple led the industry to adopt high refresh rate displays is false.

EDIT:

Here's the 120Hz Sharp display from mid-2016

The Razer is missing the cameras, et al, that define Flagships, in my opinion, so no, Razer is not a Flagship, it's just a phone tweaked for gaming, hence the low price. Apple has certainly been a leader in providing color correct displays, and was in fact the leader in color management for smartphones, and likely still is.

I never made a statement that Apple led the industry in refresh rates, so your comment would have been better directed towards the other post.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    tmay said:
    KITA said:
    tmay said:

EDIT:

The Razer is missing the cameras, et al, that define Flagships, in my opinion, so no, Razer is not a Flagship, it's just a phone tweaked for gaming, hence the low price. Apple has certainly been a leader in providing color correct displays, and was in fact the leader in color management for smartphones, and likely still is.

I never made a statement that Apple led the industry in refresh rates, so your comment would have been better directed towards the other post.
    Missing the cameras, et al? Low price? The all aluminum Razer Phone launched for $699 with a Snapdragon 835 SoC, 8 GB RAM, 64 GB storage (microSD expandable), stereo speakers, fingerprint scanner, 120 Hz IGZO display with VRR, dual rear cameras (wide + telephoto), fast charging and USB-C. The iPhones at the time in that price range were the iPhone 8 ($699 with a single rear camera) and the iPhone 8 Plus ($799 with dual rear cameras).

Razer Phone

So really, what's not "flagship" about that?

You quoted that other user and even stated that the Razer Phone is not a good comparison (as opposed to?). I stated "going back to what the other user had said." It was directed correctly.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Insanity!!! hey Samsung, this is why you shouldn't have f*cked with Apple in chip manufacturing
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    KITA said:
    tmay said:
    KITA said:
    tmay said:

EDIT:

Missing the cameras, et al? Low price? The all aluminum Razer Phone launched for $699 with a Snapdragon 835 SoC, 8 GB RAM, 64 GB storage (microSD expandable), stereo speakers, fingerprint scanner, 120 Hz IGZO display with VRR, dual rear cameras (wide + telephoto), fast charging and USB-C. The iPhones at the time in that price range were the iPhone 8 ($699 with a single rear camera) and the iPhone 8 Plus ($799 with dual rear cameras).

Razer Phone

So really, what's not "flagship" about that?

You quoted that other user and even stated that the Razer Phone is not a good comparison (as opposed to?). I stated "going back to what the other user had said." It was directed correctly.
    FFS,

It's a shitty screen compromise to create a "gaming" phone by a "gaming" company, but sure, 120 Hz, As a "flagship" it compares poorly overall to other flagships, in my honest opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNvyZMUsQCQ&feature=emb_logo
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    When Apple presents a new A-series chip there is usually a chart showing the performance increase over the previous chip. Do we know how much of that increase is attributable to Apple’s chip design and how much is attributable to a new process node?
    With a new process node users have trade off performance gains and power savings.  In Apples case I would imagine that they will lower power demand for the mobile variants. Even so it looks like TSMC will allow for a performance boost.  

Note this does not include any IPC gains Apple might achieve. So things are likely ok’ing very good for A14.   
  • Reply 28 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tht said:
    Yup. Exciting. Will be interesting if they implement SVE2 or not. The phone chip may have 32 MB of system level cache. The desktop chips maybe in the 64 to 128 MB of levels!

Also curious how the rumors on A14 are basically nil? There's been more rumors for Mac chips than the A14 or A14X.

The lack of rumors or leaks is surprising at this stage.   This is a bit frustrating because there are so many ways Apple could go with these chips.  Video codecs for example are not mentioned often but Apple could do a lot right here.  Then there is Neural Engine.   It must be stressful allocating die space at Apple.