Apple Maps will let users leave reviews and photos in latest iOS 14 beta

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple Maps may replace Yelp and other third-party solutions with an in-house user review system when iOS 14 releases this fall.

Apple Maps
Apple Maps

Apple's reliance on third-party data sources for Apple Maps were often its biggest weakness when compared to the in-house solutions provided by Google Maps. The sixth beta for iOS 14 show that Apple is not only moving away from third-party map data, but its also moving away from third-party image and review data.

The next version of Apple Maps will let users leave reviews and submit images directly to the platform. When navigating local businesses or viewing travel destinations you will no longer be relegated to TripAdvisor or Yelp, instead Apple will begin to crowdsource this data.

Image credit: 9to5Mac
Image credit: 9to5Mac

Screenshots obtained by 9to5Mac show a new on-boarding experience for Maps that describe the new feature. The UI shows that users can upload images or provide reviews with text or vote with a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

Within the legal terms, Apple says that all photos submitted by users will be reviewed by a human. Children accounts under the age of 13 will not be able to see photos inside Apple Maps.

The feature is rolling out to only a small amount of users, so not every user will see the feature even when using the latest beta. This update comes as Apple continues to push its Apple Maps platform to feature parity with Google Maps.

Some countries in Europe are seeing the new mapping data hosted by Apple show up as the company continues its rollout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Good! I hate being shunted to Yelp’s app or web site (especially since I deleted their app long ago).
    mike1trackerozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    On one hand, Apple is getting to large creating anticompetitive issues.

On the other hand, it will improve the user experience.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I wish bike routes were a priority.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    At least bike routes are an option already - EV charging station based routing was supposed to be in iOS 14 and it's nowhere in sight as of the latest beta.  Me thinks it will not make it into iOS 14 at all even that it's almost September already.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Apple Maps may replace Yelp and other third-party solutions with an in-house user review system when iOS 14 releases this fall.
    I am getting tired of people telling me how Apple is always copying ideas from Google and Android............especially when they're right  :s
    Hopefully, Apple will have a system that is better/faster/easier than Google's, but I really can't see how. I suppose, though, having two competing map apps is good for us users if it means improved products.

trackerozsuperklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    The real question here is will businesses be able to claim the location? How are disputes resolved? Is Apple going to man a help desk? These are all the things Yelp do to support the reviews. You can't just throw up a review section and expect everything to work out.
    superklotondewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I wish they did this sooner. There used to be an app that allowed users to take photos of streets and places of interest. It created like a collage of the street and was nice. It had the date of photo so you could kinda "time travel" to see when a closed restaurant, for example, was thriving.

Good to see Apple finally allowing user interaction.

Never mind, my dumb a** just read the headline. This is basically for reviews only. I always wanted Apple to buy Yelp instead but they're expensive.

tjwolf said:
    At least bike routes are an option already - EV charging station based routing was supposed to be in iOS 14 and it's nowhere in sight as of the latest beta.  Me thinks it will not make it into iOS 14 at all even that it's almost September already.

It's releasing at the same time as Apple Car.

/s
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Where is the web version though. I know you can already use it through DuckDuckGo but a dedicated website would be awesome for when I'm forced to use my Windows work computer. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    tjwolf said:
    Where?  All I see when I open Apple Maps on my phone are Drive, Walk, Transit, and Ride, which I presume is Uber/Lyft.