Apple may extend free Apple TV+ subscriptions to new hardware purchasers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple continues to brainstorm new ways to lure in Apple TV+ subscribers, including potentially extending the free trial period for new hardware purchasers in the fall.

Apple TV+ launched last September, and those who purchased new Apple gear, such as the iPhone 11 or a new Apple TV, were able to try Apple TV+ free for one year. It was a clever way to encourage people to try out the service before needing to commit to yet another streaming service.

The initial free trial period is expected to expire around the time the "iPhone 12" line launches, if not slightly before. However, according to Bloomberg, Apple may renew the offer, but for a reduced time.

The may be limited to first-time subscribers, though little information is currently available. Those who buy the "iPhone 12" or other Apple gear could be gifted a free trial to Apple TV+.

The free trial would give new "iPhone 12" owners a chance to partake in the rumored Apple AR that is expected to tie in with Apple TV+.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    That is exactly what I have been waiting for, and timely for iPhone 12 buyers.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I think if Apple sees low paid subscriber accounts after the free trial they'll give people another year to get hooked on the new content. If they get enough subscribers post free year then they have little reason to renew the offer.

They really should allow purchases to qualify whether you used your year or not. Keeps people in the ecosystem and keeps people buying.
    bageljoey
  • Reply 3 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I don’t see how Apple has a choice. There is too little content, and what content there is has a limited audience anyway. To remove the free subscription with hardware purchase will result in mass ending of current subscriptions.

Falling subscriptions would be a very hard narrative to overcome.
    aderutter
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Maybe Apple is playing a long game for TV+. Their hardware is still the biggest money maker, so giving or extending subscriptions is a way to make this happen. Over time, subscriptions will pile up and add to the sevices revenue. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    Problem is, as a devoted, loyal fan of Apple, shelling out 1000s of dollars over the year for product but not yet convinced I want another subscription, once you've taken advantage of an offer, your appleID is locked out of future offers.  Well, after paying $5k for a new MacBook Pro 16" device, I'd really like to try AppleTV+ (again?) for three months (or whatever the offer is) so obviously $15 shouldn't be a concern but, hey, darn it, I just paid you $5k!
    entropys
  • Reply 6 of 12
    “Apple continues to brainstorm new ways to lure in Apple TV+ subscribers,“

Looking forward to when Apple finally figures out that A variety of Quality Content Content Content and more Content 
    Is the answer. 

entropysaderutter
  • Reply 7 of 12
    stuke said:
    Problem is, as a devoted, loyal fan of Apple, shelling out 1000s of dollars over the year for product but not yet convinced I want another subscription, once you've taken advantage of an offer, your appleID is locked out of future offers.  Well, after paying $5k for a new MacBook Pro 16" device, I'd really like to try AppleTV+ (again?) for three months (or whatever the offer is) so obviously $15 shouldn't be a concern but, hey, darn it, I just paid you $5k!
    Actually I think there is a loophole in their TV+ system and that is "family sharing". I mean if you are an individual with free spot in family group, you can create new AppleID add it to your family activate free year and logout... after that you have free TV+ for year (sure, you need to set reminder to cancel it prior to expiration), but I think in theory it should work, well at least if you purchase 1 device  per year :D ... 

Last Christmas I purchased new budget iPad for my mom and activated free TV+ (for now I have only 3 members in the group and I am only one to watch it since I am OK with English, TV+ doesn't offer Czech dub) , I don't watch that much shows, but it is nice to have it and I like all those shows I watched ( for example Central Park, Mythic quest - that show has its own highs and lows...,Home before dark and now I am really enjoying Ted Lasso, that show is great...). So I would be even OK to pay the subscription (and I am really against this pay model...). For now I am considering purchasing new iPhone 12 so I would activate this offer for another year.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I don’t think it works like that. My daughters MBP purchased enabled my subscription on the Apple TV.

i guess we will see when I get an iPhone 12 mini.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    There were a handful of decent programs on this service but I'm not likely to buy a new apple product in next year of two nor would I pay for this service. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    As you’ve all said, the value proposition with AppleTV+ is nowhere near where it needs to be yet. 
    For me there is/was only one tv series of interest to me (MythicQuest which was great). 
    On Netflix there are many, many tv shows and films I would watch. 
    Having said that, I think I’d subscribe just to see Foundation when it lands.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    “Apple continues to brainstorm new ways to lure in Apple TV+ subscribers,“

Looking forward to when Apple finally figures out that A variety of Quality Content Content Content and more Content 
    Is the answer. 

I was going to post the same thing. Instead of working harder on marketing, how about improving the product you’re trying to sell?

edited August 2020
  • Reply 12 of 12
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Is the offer only valid once? I recently bought a new iPod touch and did not receive the offer. I'm currently in the free 1 year period for an iPhone bought last year.