TikTok could be sold to Microsoft and Walmart partnership within 48 hours

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
New sources now say that the resignation of TikTok's CEO means that a deal to sell to a US company -- likely Microsoft in conjunction with Walmart -- is imminent.

Credit: TikTok
Credit: TikTok

CEO Kevin Mayer stepped down from his position as TikTok's chief executive on Thursday, citing the political climate and the impending ban on the service in the US. Sources have subsequently told CNBC that the resignation of the chief executive could indicate that a sale to either Microsoft or Oracle could happen within 48 hours.

BREAKING: TikTok CEO Kevin Mayer quit after being excluded from deal talks between the company and Microsoft & Oracle, a source tells @JBoorstin. Multiple sources also tell CNBC that Mayer's exit indicates that a deal-- likely a sale to Microsoft-- could come in the next 48 hours. pic.twitter.com/TOcSrn8Xd8

-- CNBC Now (@CNBCnow)

Earlier on Thursday, Meyer said in a note to TikTok employees that the company expects to "reach a resolution very soon," before signaling his intent to leave the social media platform.

President Donald Trump on Aug. 7 signed an executive order that would bar any transactions between US companies and the Chinese parent company of TikTok, ByteDance. Effectively, the order bans TikTok in the US starting September 20 unless ByteDance divests from the company and the platform is sold to a domestic firm, the White House later clarified.

Since then, multiple US companies have reportedly been in talks to acquire the social media platform, most prominently Microsoft and Oracle. Although Apple was rumored to be eyeing TikTok, the Cupertino tech giant later refuted those rumors.

The Trump Administration has been threatening to ban TikTok since early August, claiming that the social media platform is a national security risk. TikTok's owners have filed a legal challenge to the executive order.

Update: According to CNBC, Walmart has expressed interest in teaming up with Microsoft to acquire TikTok.

"The way TikTok has integrated e-commerce and advertising capabilities in other markets is a clear benefit to creators and users in those markets. We believe a potential relationship with TikTok US in partnership with Microsoft could add this key functionality and provide Walmart with an important way for us to reach and serve omnichannel customers as well as grow our third-party marketplace and advertising businesses," Walmart said in a statement. "We are confident that a Walmart and Microsoft partnership would meet both the expectations of US TikTok users while satisfying the concerns of US government regulators."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I can’t help but LOL.
    randominternetpersonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Old doddering codgers (MS & Oracle) competing to buy relevance.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Old doddering codgers (MS & Oracle) competing to buy relevance.
    Your statement doesn't change if you swap out Oracle for Walmart.

What a bizarre scenario.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    This whole situation still stinks to high heaven.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I don't get why Wal-Mart would buy it, what is in it for them as they are a store food chain not an online video sharing service.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    How will this potential purchase change anything? Will the servers move to the US? Will the software be re-written to close any security holes (not likely with Microsoft, Walmart won't spend any more money than absolutely necessary)?

If anything, ByteDance should just sell patents and trademarks to Apple and let them host it the right way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    dr. x said:
    I don't get why Wal-Mart would buy it, what is in it for them as they are a store food chain not an online video sharing service.

walmart has a very strong advertising arm and this would fall under that probably.  They can use this to sell and advertise product directly to customers (mainly teens)  based Off there video habits. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    I think this is Facebook disrupting tiktok by manipulating the trump admin to force the us sale, it disrupts the service and if Walmart and MS buy it, then the new owners will bring a new direction and Facebook is undermining its competition, especially since it appears to have a competitor called reels coming out in September. 

Force the sale and you cut off the head of your competition. New management means, like I said above, new direction, and the once hot company falls out of relevancy
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tshapi said:
    I think this is Facebook disrupting tiktok by manipulating the trump admin to force the us sale, it disrupts the service and if Walmart and MS buy it, then the new owners will bring a new direction and Facebook is undermining its competition, especially since it appears to have a competitor called reels coming out in September. 

Force the sale and you cut off the head of your competition. New management means, like I said above, new direction, and the once hot company falls out of relevancy
    Oracle reportedly put their bid in today too.

edited August 2020
  • Reply 10 of 15
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Don't care if Walmart buys TikTok. But not Oracle or Microsoft. I own stock in both those companies. I can't help but think a TikTok purchase will cost these companies big time in the short and long term -- TikTok has no relevance for either of these companies.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The perfect pair.....

dr. x said:

Wal-Mart is a dumb version of Amazon. They steal tech from Apple thinking it makes the store look cool. Remember when they made a ripoff iTunes Sore and stole Steve Jobs' idea with movie codes? They tried to take Apple out of their own market like Samsung/Huawei do.

Dirty lazy company.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    larryjw said:
    Don't care if Walmart buys TikTok. But not Oracle or Microsoft. I own stock in both those companies. I can't help but think a TikTok purchase will cost these companies big time in the short and long term -- TikTok has no relevance for either of these companies.
    Oracle would very likely have augmenting their data marketing in mind (ie BlueKai), with TikTok filling a hole in their younger consumer segment, and better targeting of their on-line ad services. Microsoft for the audience, future customers?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    dr. x said:
    Embedded advertising.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    dr. x said:
    Walmart did own Vudu up until this year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    All I know is, whatever MS buy, it will die pretty fast.  Which is not a bad thing. 
    watto_cobra